PDA

View Full Version : What torch do We prefer ?

Carl Martin
28-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Thought I'd ask as we all have our own favourites and preferences.
But today I have to say I learnt something new. I've used rothenburgers to sieverts and my own favourite is a Smiths "little torch" but today I visited a freind who's been in their family business for well over 50 yrs and he has a hydrogen water torch (hydroweld) basically using a charged electrolite produces hydrogen gas via distilled water, no gas canisters or bottle at all, thing is amazing, torch weighs just over an ounce and is 5 inches long in total, produces a flame to 6000 deg farenheight , nine different tips to adjust flame for working with different metals etc. Produces very little or no oxidants.Truly amazing and I'm just about to order one.

bustagasket
28-10-2009, 09:58 PM
wow that sounds amazing i am intrigued!!!

I dont have a posh torch to compare, i only have a little hand "cooksons" torch so i cant help sorry.

ben b
28-10-2009, 10:04 PM
microwelders are good, i have one, that and a mouth blow torch, and a rothenburg propane.
You can get several different brands of microweld, all work on wet cell principal.
check out all the tool companies before purchase. they range from 500, to 1000 pounds, approx

Carl Martin
28-10-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm lucky in as much I can get one via my mate. Definately the best torch I have ever used. No more gas bottle, can't wait.

mizgeorge
28-10-2009, 10:25 PM
Carl, I can't tell you how much I covet a water torch. I have a horrible feeling it's going to be my next expensive bit of kit, but I need to do some serious research first.

Solunar Silver Studio
29-10-2009, 07:17 AM
today I visited a freind who's been in their family business for well over 50 yrs and he has a hydrogen water torch (hydroweld) basically using a charged electrolite produces hydrogen gas via distilled water, no gas canisters or bottle at all, thing is amazing, torch weighs just over an ounce and is 5 inches long in total, produces a flame to 6000 deg farenheight , nine different tips to adjust flame for working with different metals etc. Produces very little or no oxidants.Truly amazing and I'm just about to order one.

I bet you can't pick one of them up from T K Max for £7.99!!
:Y::Y:LONG LIVE THE CREME BRULEE TORCH!!!:Y::Y:

bustagasket
29-10-2009, 07:46 AM
i mentioned it to my OH who nodded knowingly and promptly changed the subject lol

EmmaRose
29-10-2009, 01:04 PM
Oh Su LOL, know the problem ;)
I'm still sticking to plumbers and chef's torches.....I have a sievert but never use it.
E

agent_44
29-10-2009, 01:12 PM
One day, I will buy a proper torch and I am hoping it will be a water torch. Like George though I have a lot of research to do!

WitchfordSilver
31-10-2009, 06:05 PM
I have a MicroWeld 200 water torch, two operator model. I still think that it’s the best torch for doing small work like chainmail and chains etc. Would not suite a silversmith not enough volume of heat.
Pro’s and Con’s so far:-
Pro’s
• Small localised flame.
• No Gas to buy.
• Light weight easy to hold.
• Tip sizes to suite must small work.
Con’s
• Limited or No control over temperature of flane. Limited control is by changing the fluid in the bubbler tank . Water, MEK, Meths etc.
• Pressure of the gas exiting the tip’s. This can be enough to blow solder off the pick.
• Always seem to smell the MEK when in use, so needs good flume extraction.
• In daylight can be hard to see flame, have set alight a few things left near the soldering mat.
• The chemicals used in the cell are not nice, Base chemical get very hot when mixed and would burn skin very easy. Wear protective face masks, apron and gloves if changing the cell fluid.

Neil

Gemma
31-10-2009, 06:10 PM
I bet you can't pick one of them up from T K Max for £7.99!!
LONG LIVE THE CREME BRULEE TORCH!!!

and I was thinking I must be the only one who uses a cooking torch :D
...but I did pay a little more than £7.99- however it is shocking pink :dance:

lesley
31-10-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge in to the world of soldering.
I guess I'll go for the Cooksons starter kit. Anyone else got it?

Emerald
31-10-2009, 07:13 PM
i think pandanimal - Julia has just bought one looks like it has all you need x

Di Sandland
31-10-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm seriously thinking about taking the plunge in to the world of soldering.
I guess I'll go for the Cooksons starter kit. Anyone else got it?

I bought it a few months back. All you need, with the exception of paste solder if you want to use it. I bought that seperately. Has done me just fine.

Petal
31-10-2009, 10:20 PM
I bought it a few months back. All you need, with the exception of paste solder if you want to use it. I bought that seperately. Has done me just fine.

I must admit I looked putting one of those in my Cookies basket today - the thought of using one terrifies me slightly. =:-O Mind you, judging by my cooking exploits, I should be right at home working with flames :-"

Solunar Silver Studio
01-11-2009, 08:13 AM
The worst burn I have ever had was from turning out a syrup sponge straight from oven to table...by the time I got back to the kitchen to wash off the burning sticky syrup it had done a fair bit of damage...luckily it was only a small area on my middle finger - but it still shows as a slight scar more than 25 years later! So far - I have never burnt myself doing anything jewellery related...it's definitely the puddings you have to watch!!:-O

lesley
01-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Thanks Jo and Di......I'm still thinking about it. :)

Jules, you're not the only one - I'm scared too! The thought of having gas and acid around the place just seems like asking for trouble. Plus, I seem to be quite accident prone at the moment.

lesley
01-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Can I ask a torch related question?

Is hard solder the norm and medium and easy only used for any subsequent solderings? If I get a torch kit I would like to try the solder paste and wondered if I need all three types.

Di Sandland
01-11-2009, 03:46 PM
Lesley I only have the easy solder paste and I've got by with that so far. I am getting more adventurous now and will probably get the other 'strengths' but to start with you'll only need the one

kymbi
01-11-2009, 03:53 PM
The solder used depends on what's needed - for example if I have small pieces of silver needing little joins that won't be under stress or wire that shouldn't be heated too much (for fear of me melting them), I would use easy solder or paste. For joints where I will need to hammer/texture afterwards, I would use medium or hard. If multiple joins are needed on a design, start with hard then drop a grade with each solder.

I tend to use solder strip for hard and medium solders, and paste for easy. I don't use huge amounts of hard/medium so I think the size of the paste syringe would mean I would have it around for ages and not sure if it would dry up.

I've not tried the hard and medium pastes and would be interested to know how these handle.

lesley
01-11-2009, 03:55 PM
In which case, I was going to go for hard as that's what the blessed Jinks recommends.

I thought I knew what I was doing but I think I'm confusing myself now. :)

kymbi
01-11-2009, 03:56 PM
PS ~ I agree with Di about just getting the easy paste to start with - unless you are doing a lot of complex soldering, it will do for most jobs. I use the easy paste for about 80% of my work and it's only when I do bezel settings or layering that I start fiddling about with different grades.

kymbi
01-11-2009, 03:58 PM
Lesley, did you settle on the Jinks McGrath book in the end? How is it?

lesley
01-11-2009, 04:09 PM
Yep, and I really like it, but as you can see, I could do with a bit more detail. :)
She says to use hard solder as much as you can but doesn't really say why. I presumed it meant a stronger join as it has a higher melting temperature.

mizgeorge
01-11-2009, 04:15 PM
I tend to grab medium for most everyday stuff, but always use hard if I think there might be subsequent joins to make, and for rings that take more finishing and battering. I use easy for jump rings and things like earring posts where there's a danger of melting.

I use all three grades of paste solder, but I don't buy them from Cooksons (sorry) because they only do the large size syringe, and I prefer the smaller ones.

lesley
01-11-2009, 04:34 PM
The hard and easy paste is out of stock anyway......ha ha.

Is it OK to say where you get yours from, George?

I have a mega basket going at the moment - might have to chuck a few (a lot!) of things out.

Solunar Silver Studio
01-11-2009, 04:50 PM
Found an interesting bit on solders in the Jewelry Artist Mag Solder by Sara M. Sanford - Lapidary Journal Jewelry Artist Soldering Guide (http://www.jewelryartistmagazine.com/tech/soldering-guide-solder.cfm) ...scroll down to 'Melting Temperatures' where it explains the differences.

lesley
01-11-2009, 05:02 PM
You see, that's exactly what I needed! Thank you, Barbara..........and JAM. :)
So, I'll probably be a medium kind of girl with some easy moments.

mizgeorge
01-11-2009, 05:25 PM
I'd been puzzling about your reference to Jinks McGrath Lesley, so just looked it up. By 'always use first' she's talking about the first stage in any multi-stage piece.

For reference, the temperatures for paste differ slightly from strip for silver:

Hard - 770C
Medium - 730C
Easy - 680C

and the medium in paste doesn't seem to be as sticky as it is in pallions!

lesley
01-11-2009, 05:44 PM
You're right, George. I have been skimming through the book somewhat. I was planning to do a big order in a couple of weeks and then freepost appeared!.........and yesterday was a write off.

lilacmonkey
07-11-2009, 07:18 AM
I have a sievert with different sized burners and a small chefs torch.

would like 0ne of those micro things but just cant afford it.:N:

swageblock
08-11-2009, 09:41 PM
My trusty sievert and various burners.Micro welds are great for repetitive or multiple runs like earposts and small findings.And retipping claws.
They can get too hot,depending on what catalyst is used.
MEK gives approx 1200C,Acetone gives 1750/1800C.Ouch.Tony