PDA

View Full Version : A tool for rivetting

Milomade
28-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Hi all

I did a one to one class on rivetting many many months ago [so all knoweldge is now fading fast] and want to get back into it. I want to make small silver versions of my cloud brooches (http://www.milomade.co.uk/blog/2009/03/is-there-a-storm-brewing/) using small mother of pearl buttons, or shirt buttons and so want to rivet the buttons to a cut out cloud shape using silver tubing.

Not done any rivetting with tube before really. Are there any tools out there that are specific to rivetting using tube or do I have to use a hammer and just bang away gently.

I was looking at lampwork beads the other day and noticed alot of them lined with silver and wondered how that was acheived and my curiosity lead me here (http://www.artintheround.com/index.html) - has anyone used this kind of tool and is there something similar for rivetting samll items.

Any adive on rivetting with tube would be very welcome as I'm a total novice and really want to try out my ideas.

Ta

agent_44
28-10-2009, 04:06 PM
I just use a hammer and an appropriate sized doming punch (e.g. 999_764_ (http://www.cooksongold.com/zoom.jsp?img=999_764_&pref=999&suff=764&pic=) ) to rivet tubes. I assume there are tools more specific to the task, but the punches are more than adequate for me.

caroleallen
28-10-2009, 04:15 PM
I haven't seen them myself but a fellow jeweller told me that those silver lined beads are made with 2 pieces of silver that slot into the bead from both sides and are glued into place.

ben b
28-10-2009, 04:35 PM
I wondered how they got such big flanges on those things by riveting...without smashing the bead to pieces!

hey...just a thought, having looked at the origional version...is it possible you could thread them on with thin, fine silver wire and knot it, like the origional version?

If your using mop buttons or similar, even riveting tube may cause then to crack.....

The main principal of tube riveting is to open it out, so the device you saw would do this, but only to a 45 degree angle, still needing to be hit with a small doming punch or flat punch...or, if the tube wall is thin enogh, just by burnishing, in a rotary motion

I dont know if the front of the rivet will look how you expect though...imagine trying to burinsh it to a flat flange against a delicate button?

glen
28-10-2009, 04:35 PM
a tap and die set is a good way of making a rivit without heat or hammering

agent_44
28-10-2009, 04:37 PM
I wondered how they got such big flanges on those things by riveting...without smashing the bead to pieces!

Plenty of people do it without the glue in pieces, just lots of careful tapping till you get a sugly fitting rivet! It's perfectly doable, because I can do it, and I have the delicacy of an elephant!

EmmaRose
28-10-2009, 04:54 PM
I use a ball pein hammer (small and large size). You can also get rivetting hammers.
E

Milomade
28-10-2009, 05:07 PM
loads of questions:

what is a tap and die set?

I have a ball pein hammer - but think it's far too large for what I want to do - plus not sure I have that kind of accuracy - do you just bang away with the hammer, even on a tiny tube?

This an image of some rings made by Charlotte Berry that I found when looking for examples of rivetted buttons online - took me ages to find anything!

And that what gave me the idea of doing a silver version of my cloud brooches - I could make the cloud shape solder on a brooch back and then drill the holes for the buttons. I don't want to stich the buttons on as where would I tie the wire/thread and seal it? So in that image you can see the kind of rivetted finish I'm after.

AlexandraBuckle
28-10-2009, 05:08 PM
i did a lot of rivets at uni. i used an upturned ball pein hammer held in a vice to rest the underside of the rivet on and then i started off on the top with a wide punch then followed with a rivit hammer.

my advice is to keep checking the underside - alternate between each side as you work.

with the rivet hammer imagine you are spreading butter from the centre of the rivet outwards!

Milomade
28-10-2009, 05:13 PM
is a rivetting hammer one of those tiny little light ones - I've got one of those - must have bought it after my one to one session. Not used it once.

AlexandraBuckle
28-10-2009, 05:20 PM
well the one i used is really just like a small light ball pein.

Di Sandland
28-10-2009, 05:37 PM
i used an upturned ball pein hammer held in a vice to rest the underside of the rivet on

what a brilliant ruse! Okay, so maybe I'm not superior in every way ;)

AlexandraBuckle
28-10-2009, 05:39 PM
what a brilliant ruse! Okay, so maybe I'm not superior in every way ;)

*-:) hurrah!!! i came up with a useful tip!!

Solunar Silver Studio
28-10-2009, 06:36 PM
This is a brilliant tutorial on how to put whole, one piece, silver tube inserts into glass beads...complete with instructions for a nifty little tool...the Fat Finger Stand! It has taken me ages to find it again...so enjoy the sheer brilliance of it!! Rivet Tutorial (Da pretty silva bit) - Lampwork Etc. (http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95388)

Milomade
28-10-2009, 06:43 PM
wow that looks great - not got time to read it all now as I've got to go and cook dinner, but will have a good read of it over the w/e - I love indepth tutorials with pictures like that!

Solunar Silver Studio
28-10-2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah - me too!! And I love DIY tools that only cost pennies...that's why I remembered it.:Y:

Di Sandland
28-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Well, I suppose the Fat Finger Stand makes a nice change from the Fat Balls Bucket, Bee ;)

Pandanimal
29-10-2009, 06:31 AM
I have just bought an impress bead liner and have used it once so far with copper tubing. The copper tubing split probably because I didn't go gentle enough. I need to get a sharper tube cutter too before I try again. It is highly recommended by many of the lampworkers I know but, you would need to look carefully at the peg sizes available to make sure there was one the right size (inner diameter of your tube) for your project.

Solunar Silver Studio
29-10-2009, 06:56 AM
Well, I suppose the Fat Finger Stand makes a nice change from the Fat Balls Bucket, Bee ;)

Do you detect a recurring theme here??? Do I just get drawn to anything containing fat?? Or is it a case of like attracting like??

Positive thinking... I am voluptuous...I am curvy...I am a whole lot of gorgeousness...I am generous in every way.....erm......erm......:o

* I just have to add this...I've just looked up gorgeous Gorgeous Synonym | Synonym of Gorgeous and Antonym of Gorgeous at Thesaurus.com (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/gorgeous) ... What a fantastic list of things to call yourself to boost flagging confidence!! I think I'll print out that lot and stick it all round the house to remind us all of what we are!!!:Y::Y:

Di Sandland
29-10-2009, 08:20 AM
Oooh - I am plush, pleasing and pulchritudinous!

AlexandraBuckle
29-10-2009, 08:26 AM
Oooh - I am plush, pleasing and pulchritudinous!

If someone told me I was pulchritudinous I'd think they were insulting me!
Doesn't sound that gorgeous to me :confused:

Di Sandland
29-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Ah, you obviously never watched The Good Old Days back in the 70s - old time music hall where pulchitrudinous was oft used

Solunar Silver Studio
29-10-2009, 08:38 AM
If someone told me I was pulchritudinous I'd think they were insulting me!
Doesn't sound that gorgeous to me :confused:

What a marvelous word!! I wonder why we all noticed that one. I love it!! The word of the day!!!!!:Y::Y:

Thesaurus; adjective

Having qualities that delight the eye: attractive, beauteous, beautiful, comely, fair, good-looking, gorgeous, handsome, lovely, pretty, ravishing, sightly, stunning. Scots bonny. Idioms: easy on the eyes.

WordNet; The adjective has one meaning:

Meaning #1: used of persons only; having great physical beauty

Yep....describes me to a T (or should that be tee....or even tea???:dontknow:)

AlexandraBuckle
29-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Ah, you obviously never watched The Good Old Days back in the 70s - old time music hall where pulchitrudinous was oft used

No, I wasn't born until 1981 :-p

agent_44
29-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Well there you go! I would have most likely slapped a person who used that word in my direction too! My new word for Thursday: pulchritudinous

Soooo, how would you be pronouncing that?

Solunar Silver Studio
29-10-2009, 09:28 AM
pulchritudinous: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com (http://www.answers.com/topic/pulchritudinous)

Handy little site...even has a function for hearing how it is said...you just have to make adjustments for the American accent!

agent_44
29-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Haha, thank you, now I know all! :D

glen
29-10-2009, 12:12 PM
tap and die set custs a screw thread into something

http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/3089/tapsdieswoodboxlarge.th.jpg (http://img203.imageshack.us/i/tapsdieswoodboxlarge.jpg/)

Milomade
29-10-2009, 12:21 PM
why would I need that? Not sure how I would use that to rivet.

mizgeorge
29-10-2009, 12:41 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, those magnificent examples of female pulchritude and luminosity,
direct from their global perambulations to the very boards of this supremely magnificent proscenium arch. I give you, famous groupies....

Solunar Silver Studio
29-10-2009, 12:51 PM
* I just have to add this...I've just looked up gorgeous Gorgeous Synonym | Synonym of Gorgeous and Antonym of Gorgeous at Thesaurus.com (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/gorgeous) ... What a fantastic list of things to call yourself to boost flagging confidence!! I think I'll print out that lot and stick it all round the house to remind us all of what we are!!!:Y::Y:

I couldn't resist the opportunity to spread the word - so that the whole world can love themselves!!! I've stuck the list I generated from this thesaurus onto my blog!! I defy anyone to read the list out to themselves and not feel better!!:Y:

Boo
29-10-2009, 01:07 PM
pick out your words for today…stand in front of a mirror…look into your eyes and say….
Hot, sweaty, grimy, flat-haired, damp, pink, rosy, panting, glowing, tingling, wobbly . . .

Just been for the harder of my lunchtime one mile walks - felt good today so I pushed very hard - only 3 pauses up the steep hill, none at all coming back. Made it out and back within half an hour - including time to gawp for the dipper in the river.

So I'm anything but gorgeous right now. But the one thing I do feel is . . .

SMUG!!!!!

It'll be short-lived. I'll have to force myself again tomorrow.

AlexandraBuckle
29-10-2009, 01:08 PM
ooh well done you! :Y:

Solunar Silver Studio
29-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Hot, sweaty, grimy, flat-haired, damp, pink, rosy, panting, glowing, tingling, wobbly . . .

SMUG!!!!!

There's people out there that would give anything to feel just like that!!:">

Di Sandland
29-10-2009, 01:30 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, those magnificent examples of female pulchritude and luminosity,
direct from their global perambulations to the very boards of this supremely magnificent proscenium arch. I give you, famous groupies....

That. is. it! Exactly as I remember. :X

AlexandraBuckle
29-10-2009, 01:31 PM
oh i see! I wondered what MizG was on about :confused:

mizgeorge
29-10-2009, 04:30 PM
LOL - you have to be old enough to remember both the show, and the Wings album London Town.....

Di Sandland
29-10-2009, 05:01 PM
oh, yeah - I'd forgotten that!

FVT
13-05-2010, 03:19 PM
I just came across this thread whilst looking for something else...I know it's an oldie, but thought I'd suggest one of these for rivetting, I just bought one recently as I was struggling with the other suggestions people made to me elsewhere:

medium rivetting stake jewellers watchmaker 78mm x 25mm on eBay (end time 01-Jun-10 15:30:08 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350323997881&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT)

Milomade
14-05-2010, 08:48 AM
How do you use that exactly?

FVT
14-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Simple...you just find a hole that matches the size of your wire, and leave a little bit of wire poking out of the top surface, then you can gently start hammering to create your rivet :-) Some people make their own versions of these using a block of wood and drilling holes to the sizes they need.