PDA

View Full Version : Firing and finishing

shelliem
28-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Hi All

I'm a total beginner - although have done pottery previously and in some cases using PMC is very similar.

I've got a few questions...

I fired a piece (my first ever one) and according to the instructions in my book it said to move the flame rather than keep it still (which I did) however I managed to get some bubbles in the middle of the the piece (which I'm assuming is because I allowed the middle to get too hot?) and am wondering whether maybe I could have had the torch too close? or was moving it too quickly? or both (I am quite impatient usually :S) I also wondered if you have any tips for firing using a torch. On this piece I laid it out on the firing block (it was just a flat heart shape) should I have used the tweezers to hold it when firing instead of keeping it flat?

Also I attempted texturing which came out reasonably well although not consistent all over the piece. I rolled out the thickness first and then put the piece on the texture plate (as per my book) but I was worried incase I rolled it out too thinly and think I may have used too much balm (which I am guessing after reading some of the posts on this section). Do you have any suggestions on how to improve texturing.

And finally (for now probably) I'm wondering where is the best place to get letter stamps for Pmc???

All help and advice gratefully recieved!!

:confused:

shelliem
28-10-2009, 11:12 AM
Oh

Sorry I do have another question...

I've a small amount of pmc left and have decided to use it for practicing finishing and firing etc.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I should go about this?

Thanks again.

EmmaRose
28-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Bubbles could be because the piece was too hot, you want a dull orange glow. However it is mostly likely there was still moisture in the piece, the water boils, creates steam and escapes causing a bubble. How long had it dried for? Texture, use a tiny amount of balm. Roll out a plain piece of clay at one thickness and then roll it out on the texture using the next thickness of slats or cards down. (unless the texture is deep you might want to use slats/ card two sizes thinner)
Your spare clay, why not make a series of pieces using a cookie cutter with different textures and finishes
hope that helps
Em

shelliem
28-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks Emma

I had left it for about two days before firing it.

EmmaRose
28-10-2009, 02:33 PM
hhmm ok that is not the problem then. Leaves melting or contamination of clay....try some simple little flat pieces for practice and see how you get on....the key is dull orange glow, don't get torch too near. moving it shouldn't be a problem.
Em

shelliem
28-10-2009, 03:21 PM
It might be that I got the torch too close. Contamination has to be out because it was a new pack of pmc with brand new tools etc.

I think I was a bit scared of ruining my dining table at the time so got the torch too close :S

I will try it with it further away next time - lets hope I dont get blisters on the table though!

Thanks for your help

Ominicci
28-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Shellie - Firing on your dining table doesn't sound too good!!! You would be better off doing it in the kitchen on the worksurface. Have you got an asbestos type mat to go under the firing block? I used an old wooden chopping board until I got one. Try heating in a slightly darkened room then you can see the dull orange glow better.

shelliem
28-10-2009, 09:11 PM
Hi Ominicci

Hmmm I know, when I think about it now - it doesn't sound too good does it!

I've a friend who has everything and anything I'm sure I'd be able to find something from her to use underneath it, i'm sure I could persuade her to trade me with a piece of my dodgy jewellery when I can actually make something that is close to resembling some!

Thanks for the tip.

The Dragon
28-10-2009, 11:47 PM
One other thing you might want to think about is where you dry your pieces. My house is centrally heated by radiator and during the summer months I can quite happily leave my clay pieces to dry out in my workroom (box bedroom). However, at this time of year there is always a certain amount of condensation in the room over night and this does mean that some of my pieces don't dry out as well as I think. As a precaution I usually put them in front of a fan for at leat 30mins to drive any latent moisture off before I fire them. Strange as it may seem I find my pieces dry better under a cool fan than in a warm oven.

I hope this helps with you 'learning process'. The clays are fun and you can do some really wierd but wonderfull pieces with them. :Y:

shelliem
29-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Thank you The Dragon

I wouldn't have even considered that - I left them on the window ledge in my kitchen by the sink #-o

Its so frustrating, I've got so many idea's but I can't get them out because I need to actually learn how to to stuff first - grrrr.

The Dragon
29-10-2009, 11:08 PM
I know how you feel (and so does the rest of my family). In my case full time work impacts on the amount of free time I have. It's catch 22, can't give up full time work until I've built up the business, can't build up the business and learn the craft quickly because of work. #-o It is getting better though, I struggled the first few times then it started to click.

The only thing I can suggest is to pick one type of craft i.e. pmc and stick with it until you fell reasonably comfortable then move onto another one. I tried to learn too many different things at once and it felt like I was getting nowhere. It also ment I had time to understand why I was making mistakes and how to put them right. :)

shelliem
30-10-2009, 07:26 AM
I do that all the time! And have a made a new months resolution not to try to do everything - I'm just so curious about everything and I'm in the same position as you I only have time when I'm not working and everytime I go to start a project I realise I need something for it like a tool or some other material and then have to wait!

I'm going to practice with PMC and learn how to make chains (starting with the stuff that doesn't need soldering first) otherwise I will do the same as you. I thought then if I dont feel like getting everything out I might just be able to relax and twist a bit of wire....

Or I might be being completely naive!

Can't help putting pressure on myself to learn piercing and soldering but am having a word with myself!!

SilverBlueberry
30-10-2009, 07:36 AM
I feel exactly the same way, I'm curious about everything and want to try everything at once. It's maybe lucky that everything costs so much - it paces me. ;)

Solunar Silver Studio
30-10-2009, 08:02 AM
I'm going to practice with PMC and learn how to make chains (starting with the stuff that doesn't need soldering first) otherwise I will do the same as you. I thought then if I dont feel like getting everything out I might just be able to relax and twist a bit of wire....
Or I might be being completely naive!

It sounds right to me as it is more or less what I have done. I started wanting to work with pmc but couldn't really afford to buy it! I also didn't want to put my 'wonderful works of art' on sterling silver chains, so I shelved the pmc and taught myself to make fine silver chains. All I needed to start was a chef's torch a soldering block and a couple of pairs of cheap pliers - and a metre of fine silver wire which was about £4 (off ebay!!)then. That was about 2 years ago. After I started to get more proficient at it I was able to sell these chains to friends and family to make enough money to buy pmc to start playing with!! Then I was able to sell chains with a few pmc charms! I'm still pretty lousy with the pmc though! I really think it is hard to teach yourself but I'm giving it a good go! I might feel a bit more confident in a few years time!!:D

shelliem
30-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Hi Barbara

I'm glad you think its a good idea. I really like the idea of making the chain for some reason and I have the tools and am awaiting a book that I think you recommended from your list you quoted to me earlier last week.

Its reassuring to think it wouldnt take forever to learn how to do it. How long did you practice for before you started making chains good enough to sell?

I'm in the same predicament - no more spare money to buy goodies until probably after Christmas unless its very cheap - although I do have a soldering block and torch and could stretch to some wire (although I'm going to practice on copper wire first).

I was also considering practicing with Fimo for a while because I can't afford to buy the PMC right now.

I'm not wishing you no confidence with your PMC but its strangely reassuring to know that experienced people still have those issues! Although if you are anything like my artist friend nothing will ever be good enough despite his work being amazing!

Michelle

shelliem
30-10-2009, 12:52 PM
I feel exactly the same way, I'm curious about everything and want to try everything at once. It's maybe lucky that everything costs so much - it paces me. ;)

I think your'e right I am finding that it is making me slow myself down which is probably a good thing and its good that there is so much to learn that its impossible to get bored.

What did you start learning first?

Solunar Silver Studio
30-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Hi Barbara
Its reassuring to think it wouldnt take forever to learn how to do it. How long did you practice for before you started making chains good enough to sell?

I was also considering practicing with Fimo for a while because I can't afford to buy the PMC right now.

I'm not wishing you no confidence with your PMC but its strangely reassuring to know that experienced people still have those issues! Although if you are anything like my artist friend nothing will ever be good enough despite his work being amazing!

Michelle

It was a slowly developing process... To start with I was melting more wire than was making into the chain!! But I guess it was about 3 or 4 months before members of the family were interested enough to want to wear what I was making...and willing to part with a fiver to let me buy more wire!! Then as they showed their friends, people were asking them if they could buy one... So it was probably about 6 months before other people showed an interest.

I'm not sure that Fimo would give you the feel of pmc. I think porcelain clay would probably be closer. It is a pretty unique substance - soft and quick drying - which is why it is a bit of a pig to get going with it!

I am no expert...I make a lot of pmc bits that end up with the title of 'practice pieces' because I don't think they are saleable - and I guess I am learning from it! I'm sure I will commit to bigger pieces eventually!

shelliem
31-10-2009, 07:19 AM
Thanks again Barbara

I had a go at just straightening, cutting and twisting some copper wire yesterday and even used a jig and made a clasp - and thoroughly enjoyed myself! I made quite a sweet looking bracelet which will probably make my wrist go green soon.

The finish is a bit rough as I wasnt sure whether to file the ends of the wire and probably needed some closing pliers but I'm happy with it - it's given me the feel of what its like to work with wire and a little more confidence.

I will google the clay you mentioned and see if I can get hold of some, which will keep on top of my patience until I can afford to play with some more silver clay!!

By the way I love the ring on the first page of your website - are the flowers made of pmc? Its very nice.