PDA

View Full Version : smoking room

ben b
27-10-2009, 07:32 PM
the forum is a great place for anybody to get tips and learn about the jewellery trade.:)

Unfortuatly, this does mean anybody:~:, because thats how it works. :Y:......Some of us 'trade bods' may feel free'er to discuss trade prices or problem customers & situations in an area not so public, especialy if linked to our username, which may show our trading name and website..
Hows about a "smoking room" ....perhaps very simplified, just one thread of posts...that require at least registration, and posibly, cooksons account number?:Y:

Emerald
27-10-2009, 09:12 PM
A good idea Ben but there are alot of members that never post and probably only ever joined to get 'cookie goodies' and as they recieved an email suggesting they joined the forum they probably have a cookson account, perhaps regular posters could have a special code (007 smilie here please)

geti-titanium
27-10-2009, 09:19 PM
I think calling it a smoking room would deter many people from entering. The very thought of opening the door and releasing atmosphere destroying gasses would appall many - no I think a more suitable name would be 'The GETi Titanium Rings Room' - more apt, don't ye think? :Y:

lesley
27-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Great idea, Ben. You could call it "In Confidence" for us non smokers. :)

Perhaps you could request entry, to be granted at the mods discretion, with a minimum post requirement.

Geti, of course, would be automatically barred and locked in the cupboard under the stairs. [-X

geti-titanium
27-10-2009, 09:38 PM
I already thought the entire cooksons forum was the "Geti Titanium Rings Room" Alan!

lshism :)

Careful Jason - people will start reading my posts a bit more and then realise that I don't actually talk about jewellery very much

geti-titanium
27-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Geti, of course, would be automatically barred and locked in the cupboard under the stairs.

I feel safe under the stairs :)

Jayne
27-10-2009, 09:41 PM
I think calling it a smoking room would deter many people from entering. The very thought of opening the door and releasing atmosphere destroying gasses would appall many

As an ex-smoker who still dreams of the wretched things I look forward to the idea of entering the online virtual world of the 'smoking room'. I can smoke!! way-hey-hey!! and I don't have to tell my insurance company.......(hey, there's no smoking smilie :()
J x

bustagasket
27-10-2009, 09:49 PM
Jayne, we are neighbours. LOL

Did you ever study jewellery in Monson Road?

ooooooooooooo you mean i get to come up and bleed both of you for knowledge? Woot I win!!:Y:

Jayne
27-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Jayne, we are neighbours. LOL

Did you ever study jewellery in Monson Road?

Yup! only one though - about 2001ish. More recently than that I have done courses at Avebury Avenue. Did you train at Monson Road then?
J x

Jayne
27-10-2009, 10:39 PM
Well I turned up at 9 out of the 12 beginners lessons this year, yes. Haven't looked back since really. :Y:

OMG!!! I am amazed that you have learnt what you have there, esp in such a short timeframe! My experience of classes there was overcrowding (not even enough pegs & stools to go around), conveyor belt teaching and a tutor that really didn't give a stuff :N:
Is it ad ed or something fancypants?
J x

Jayne
27-10-2009, 10:52 PM
who taught you to set stones?

Jayne
28-10-2009, 07:03 AM
If you tell me that you taught yourself I shall cry real tears! :'(
J x

Jayne
28-10-2009, 07:07 AM
ooooooooooooo you mean i get to come up and bleed both of you for knowledge? Woot I win!!:Y:

Nope :( The sad news is, Su', that despite the fact that I have been p*****g around with this for years, you & Jason are light years ahead of me! It is I that will be bleeding you for knowledge ;)
J x

Di Sandland
28-10-2009, 07:12 AM
prepare to shed tears, Jayne, he taught himself ;)

Jayne
28-10-2009, 07:18 AM
prepare to shed tears, Jayne, he taught himself ;)

gulp.......that is awesome :worthy:

katrina alexander
28-10-2009, 10:15 AM
I agree, I think it would be a great idea to have a private members log in space that jo public can't read. No comment on the title..being an ex smoker and all that!

Kalorlo
28-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Smoking room is a taaad "old boys' club". How about a lounge? Everyone likes sofas, right? :Y:

Di Sandland
28-10-2009, 10:39 AM
What about 'the bar?'

snow_imp
28-10-2009, 10:44 AM
What about 'the bar?'

Count me in on that one!! A huddle in a good bar is always a good idea.

geti-titanium
28-10-2009, 11:07 AM
Can we put a Christmas tree in there as well?

Di Sandland
28-10-2009, 11:27 AM
I suppose so geti, so long as it is tastefully decorated. My special glass is already behind the bar, and see that stool at the end, the one with the red tassells around it? That's mine!

lesley
28-10-2009, 11:37 AM
Can I put in a request? No muzak.
And a real tree, not a fake one.
I've always quite fancied a chaise longue. :)

geti-titanium
28-10-2009, 11:48 AM
I still think we should call it the 'GETi Bar' because I already own one :Y:

GETi Wedding rings, black zirconium mens rings and titanium rings. - GETi Point of Sale Display (http://www.geti.cc/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=217&Itemid=999999)

Petal
28-10-2009, 12:28 PM
What about 'the bar?'

A brilliant idea Di :Y: I'd like a log fire in there too, so we can all be cosy and comfortable. Maybe a couple of sofas, to go with the chaise longe?

Perhaps we could all 'meet' in the bar for a pre-xmas drink or two ?

EmmaRose
28-10-2009, 01:01 PM
I like that idea....an exclusive members club!
Geti, sponsorship costs money you know....or in this case free jewellery from you to all of us :dance:
Em

ben b
28-10-2009, 02:01 PM
I like the idea of a bar....can we get a virtual jukebox?

hows about 'trade lounge' ?

I like the idea of having a mod vet entry requirements...that would ensure it worked properly as far as being trade goes, as theyd make human descisions, and enterpret 'trade' on a human level, such as previous posts..you wouldnt need to actually have a shop, etc.. hey...theyd be virtual doormen! lol....

Also, the main thread could be allowed to ramble, like a chatroom, as its the hijacked threads that seem to be vibrant, and with a mod vetting (maybee less strictly than on the main forum, re language, etc) older entries could be deleted when the thread gets silly long, say when it gets 3 pages deep? but basically an area like when threads get hi jacked with chat..only its encoraged!

a place where the trade can relax and gossip, like a virtual bar! (nudity optional, as long as youve got a tie on).

lesley
28-10-2009, 02:19 PM
(nudity optional, as long as youve got a tie on).

Hmmmmm, I wonder where the tie would go?

Geti, sponsorship costs money you know....or in this case free jewellery from you to all of us :dance:
Em

Nice one, Emma. :Y: I'm a size J½.

That's the first time I've managed to do multiple quoting. :)

Sheltie
28-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Theres a bike forum that I frequent and they have a members eyes only section.

It only shows to members who are signed in, visitors cannot see the subforum. It is used, mainly for meets, and anything else that the original poster feels should not be discussed on an open forum (new ideas, secret bike builds, etc)

The one off posters wouldn't know about it due to the fact they registered but have had no further postings. As said visitors/guests won't know that it exists as it will not show in their web browser

agent_44
28-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Great idea Emma :D

I have always though it would be good to have a small part of the forum for members only, so as not to encroach on Cookson's aims of providing a public resource but to also give us members a bit pf privacy as Ben described in his opening post.

I don;t smoke though, so it definitely has to be The Bar! :D

bustagasket
28-10-2009, 06:23 PM
And the lilac crushed velvet chaise lounge with gilded cabriole legs placed next to your tasselled stool is mine Di.

I'll have a taboo and black. :rofl:

J why do you persist in putting these images in my head at night, sleeping is tough enough young man!!!

Mines a tia maria and coke please - but hold off till i am back on food and drink please :D

mizgeorge
28-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Going back to the original question, I asked for something like this a while ago, and was met with complete indifference - board admin didn't seem to feel there was any need for a members-only area at all.

Some forums have a 'bedroom' (for more adult content) and 'bathroom' (flushed clean at midnight) for the occasional rant, and these can be useful places imo.

ben b
28-10-2009, 07:51 PM
hey george...the bathroom thing is good, sorta like what i said about a mod deleting posts when it gets full, but you explained it better...also, less liablous when we gossip about each other! dont know about midnight, but similar sort a thing

I dont think it would need anything special, just a password protected bit, but basically one thread and thats it...we just post up chat room style, changing topic as it goes on .... its not there to be archived, but the 'hardware' of the foum would do, that wouldnt need changing, just manually deleting daily by a moderator?

lesley
28-10-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm liking the sound of this more and more.
If we keep yabbering on do you think someone will notice? :)

bustagasket
28-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Who wants to head over to my site and check out if my free chat room works? :Y:

so thats what all that stuff was about!!! i trying it now

bustagasket
28-10-2009, 09:32 PM
lol my connection sucks and it wouldnt let me back in lol

bustagasket
28-10-2009, 10:36 PM
lol well leave it alone!! ben and i are busy writing your obituary, you gonna love it :)

bustagasket
29-10-2009, 05:50 AM
well we thought you were, the room was ! :P

Petal
29-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Going back to the original question, I asked for something like this a while ago, and was met with complete indifference - board admin didn't seem to feel there was any need for a members-only area at all.

Some forums have a 'bedroom' (for more adult content) and 'bathroom' (flushed clean at midnight) for the occasional rant, and these can be useful places imo.

I agree with G.

Come on Cookies, is there a good reason why we can't have something like this ?

xx

Mystic
29-10-2009, 06:09 PM
I've just been over to your site and added myself to your chat room, but there was no one there:'(