it was blowing a gale
it was piddling down
it was dreadfully organised
there were 8 stall holders and out of those:
a woman across from me was selling cheap imports
there was potato printing for kids in the centre of the tables
around 150 people came through the 'doors' but nobody was buying
I sold the grand total of - zilch

it wasn't a bad day! Thankfully, it was only 11 til 3.

I am obviously disappointed but not desperately so because my table looked really good (I didn't take a pic, maybe tomorrow) and because I've dipped my toe in the water. Also nobody sold much or anything so I know it wasn't just me. To be honest, it was totally the wrong venue at the wrong time of year. Hey ho...

bustagasket
24-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Oh Di they must have all had bloody blinkers on!!!

I admiire the way you are loking at it, and it was obviously just the wrong crowd if you were all in the same boat, but fingers crossed that the "real" punters turn up tomorrow for you []

Petal
24-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Oh Di, I am so sorry that you didn't sell anything. You just never know until you do an event, do you. At least you got your stuff and name out there and sometimes you get buyers after the fact. A big hug from me [] and I was thinking of you today and hoping all went well. You can have a nice rest now and a big glass of wine ;) ... which is just where I am off to do.

There's a lot of muttering in the kitchen going on about me giving my oh a hand - shame!

lotsaluv :X
xx

caroleallen
24-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Well Di, it wasn't quite that bad in Truro but it wasn't much better. What's wrong with these people? The press has been full of recession again, so I think that's what killed it this weekend. I like your attitude though.

Solunar Silver Studio
24-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Oh poor Di! Not such a good day then...:N: Well there is one way of looking at it - there isn't really a way that you could have a worse experience! Potato printing has to take the biscuit!:-O So really...the only way is up!! Think positive! Big higs![]

Di Sandland
24-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks guys - do you know what, I've quite amazed myself with my attitude.

I had days like this with the wood in the past and it always depressed me dreadfully. Either I'm older and wiser or its the support of you lot - my vote goes to the latter.

Carole - comradely hugs, sweetie.

caroleallen
24-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Can I have some of those big higs as well Bee?!

Di Sandland
24-10-2009, 06:57 PM
now are you sending me big hugs or commenting on my big hips ;)

Solunar Silver Studio
24-10-2009, 07:15 PM
Ooopsie!!:"> How did that slip though!!=:-O (At least it isn't an entry in the Urban Dictionary!!)

Well - since it seems to be so popular we had better go for some croup higs hadn't we?? [[]] :D

caroleallen
24-10-2009, 07:33 PM
Oh no, I don't fancy croup, just a hig would do!

Solunar Silver Studio
24-10-2009, 07:37 PM
I would send you one too...but I can't remember how I did it!!:-O
perhaps a [] will do instead!

Boo
24-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Sorry it wasn't a success for you. It's a horrible feeling, but you have the right attitude.

I did a country fair in June that was very well attended, but it was £5 each to get in and lots of things to grab their pennies, from food and rides etc. People with small unit price items did really well - the woman opposite was doing these coloured sand bottles kids could fill in a pattern for about £2 and she packed up early as she sold everything - she must have sold hundreds. As did the hand made fudge bloke next to me.

I did okay - about twice my stall fee - but I've had 3 good orders since from people that picked up leaflets or cards - so you never know if there might be knock on sales.

It's a bad time of month - 24th - just before many people will be paid. I have absolutely nothing to spend at the moment, so I suspect others will be the same.

mizgeorge
24-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Oh, I have SO got that t-shirt. And it's a dreadful fit too ;)

Boo's right, sometimes the sales come later - especially at this time of month and year.

On the bright side, you'll have stuff to put on the website or wherever else.

I do wonder about some organisers though.

Hope tomorrow's a better day sweetie []

caroleallen
24-10-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm surprised though that people aren't buying early for Christmas and spacing out their spending. That's what I'm doing. If I had a pound for every time someone asked "will you be here again before Christmas?" I'd be very rich. I feel like saying "yes but I can't guarantee that I'll still have that item you were admiring".

Lisa Quinn
24-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Sorry to hear that today was pants for you Di, but I had a quick look at the weather tomorrow and it looks fine and dry, so I can imagine that you will have far more people dropping in and I bet you come back tomorrow with a much rosier report.xxx:Y:

Or, if it is a selection of less than discerning punters in attendance you could take along a selection of root vegetables and start a turf war with the potato printer?

Emerald
24-10-2009, 09:25 PM
i always find Saturday at a craft fair is never a good day, sundays are always generally better although saying that when i used to do the craft fair markets the shops wernt open on a sunday! so there where less places for people to go, i so hope you have a better day tomorrow sales and weather wise []

caroleallen
24-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Truro was packed with shoppers today and if the queues in M&S were anything to go by, they were certainly spending money. So why were they just drifting through our marquee like zombies and not looking at anyone's stall?

kymbi
25-10-2009, 05:45 AM
I'm sorry to hear your day was so disappointing Di, but you seem to be keeping your head and chin up - I hope today is better for you.

A huggle for you and Carole []

Solunar Silver Studio
25-10-2009, 07:35 AM
It's a beautiful day up here...I hope you have the same where you are at your shows and the crowds come to visit you!! (and spend of course!!)

lesley
25-10-2009, 11:59 AM
What a shmae, Di, but I'm going to take a lesson from your sensible attitude.
Hope it picks up today. []

lesley
25-10-2009, 12:01 PM
You've got me doing it now! A shmae?
Another favourite at the moment is minths. :D

Di Sandland
25-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Well guys - the weather was better and the day was better - I sold a few pieces at least. Lots of questions as to whether I'd be back before Christmas, just as Carole experienced.

I met a lovely couple who were raving about my pieces - how special and unique yada yada yada. It turns out she makes jewellery! I've guided her towards the forum as she's obviously got her head screwed on, having commented about the bought in stuff on the other side of the marquee. ;)

I have three new sign-ups to my sites mailing list from yesterday, so that's positive.

And, Boo, I am a convert to the pretend crushed velvet - its marvellous stuff!

The high point of the day was Nicky (ominicci) paying me a visit - what a lovely person she is too. We had a 'Cookies hug.' Sadly, we allowed Keith take a pic of us together. Its a lovely shot of Nicky but I look like the village idiot =:-O. The steroid bloat sadly shows only too well.
Unfortunately, I know she will post the pic, so let's just say that, now the cheekbones have disappeared for good, I'm concentrating on the charisma.

bustagasket
25-10-2009, 04:27 PM
The high point of the day was Nicky (ominicci) paying me a visit - what a lovely person she is too. We had a 'Cookies hug.' Sadly, we allowed Keith take a pic of us together. Its a lovely shot of Nicky but I look like the village idiot =:-O. The steroid bloat sadly shows only too well.
Unfortunately, I know she will post the pic, so let's just say that, now the cheekbones have disappeared for good, I'm concentrating on the charisma.

And its there is bucketloads hun, it beams out of the forum :D[]

Di Sandland
25-10-2009, 04:29 PM
aw, thanks Su, that's a lovely thing to say. []

Also, I forgot - the woodturning guy next to me, an old boy, ex-army, gave me a handturned wooden gavel as a gift when we left. How lovely was that? It really touched me.

lesley
25-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Also, I forgot - the woodturning guy next to me, an old boy, ex-army, gave me a handturned wooden gavel as a gift when we left. How lovely was that? It really touched me.

That's the charisma working. :)

Emerald
25-10-2009, 09:17 PM
So glad you had a better day Di with sales and meeting Nicci :)x

Di Sandland
25-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks Jo xxx

Boo
26-10-2009, 05:25 AM
Delighted to hear that yesterday was much better - and often with these things, some of the benefit isn't experienced until later. Even at events where I don't sell much, I have to think of it as a marketing exercise and be happy enough if cards and fliers are taken.

Jolly good. It isn't to everyone's taste and I perhaps wouldn't use it if I were more concerned with appearance than practicality, but it does overcome many of the problems others have with their table coverings.

Jayne
26-10-2009, 07:08 AM
So glad to hear that Sunday was better :)
J x

kymbi
26-10-2009, 07:43 AM
I'm pleased that Sunday was much better for you Di - I hope you get some follow up business leading up to Christmas x

MuranoSilver
26-10-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm glad Sunday was better for you too Di
OOoh that karmic influence is working for you again...
you become a cookies mod and some guy gives you a Gavel :rofl:

I missed a lot on Sat and Sun as we were travelling, am quite excited this morning as todays the day of my course!! YAY!!!
Enamel, enamel and more enamel!

The cottage is about 100 yards from the Jewellery School (and it's soooo pretty). Howard's looking forward to his break too as after the stress of organising the Cat Hotel, House sitter, Cancelling Papers, sorting out the shops etc he needs it :D

Anyway gotta go now, will catch up later and let you know how it goes
NIc xx

CDW Designs
26-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Well guys - the weather was better and the day was better - I sold a few pieces at least. Lots of questions as to whether I'd be back before Christmas, just as Carole experienced.

I met a lovely couple who were raving about my pieces - how special and unique yada yada yada. It turns out she makes jewellery! I've guided her towards the forum as she's obviously got her head screwed on, having commented about the bought in stuff on the other side of the marquee. ;)

I have three new sign-ups to my sites mailing list from yesterday, so that's positive.

Hi Di
Great to hear the second day was a lot better. It must be very frustrating but you need a lot of patience, ....for those that wait.... I suppose is quite apt.
:Y:

bustagasket
26-10-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm glad Sunday was better for you too Di
OOoh that karmic influence is working for you again...
you become a cookies mod and some guy gives you a Gavel :rofl:

I missed a lot on Sat and Sun as we were travelling, am quite excited this morning as todays the day of my course!! YAY!!!
Enamel, enamel and more enamel!

The cottage is about 100 yards from the Jewellery School (and it's soooo pretty). Howard's looking forward to his break too as after the stress of organising the Cat Hotel, House sitter, Cancelling Papers, sorting out the shops etc he needs it :D

Anyway gotta go now, will catch up later and let you know how it goes
NIc xx

Hope you hav a marvellous time Nic and a good rest in the evenings with Howard. then you can tell us all about it and erm....teach some of us :)

caroleallen
26-10-2009, 09:40 PM
Which jewellery school are you at Nic?

MuranoSilver
27-10-2009, 08:00 AM
Mid Corwall - lessons start at 10 so I've popped on
(will take lots of pictures to upload when I get back)
Linda Darty explains everything in a really easy to understand way!
Nic x

Ominicci
27-10-2009, 01:22 PM

How you can tell it was a lovely shot of me when we could only see a 2"x1" image on the camera screen I don't know.... will post pic soon ... just need a few hours on photoshop lol!

Ominicci
27-10-2009, 01:54 PM
Photo a tiny bit blurry - Keith must have been excited to take a picure of two such lovely ladies!

Di Sandland
27-10-2009, 01:57 PM
I rest my case :(

Lindyloo
27-10-2009, 01:58 PM
That's a lovely pic. And I can still see those cheekbones Di.

Di Sandland
27-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Jay its a hideous pic and if I thought I was that ugly (which I'm not) I'd ban all pics of me as of now. The steroids have done dreadful things to my face.

Yeah, the t-shirt - I thought it was good branding; you could hardly miss the name could you!

Solunar Silver Studio
27-10-2009, 03:10 PM
Yeah, the t-shirt - I thought it was good branding; you could hardly miss the name could you!

Brazenly displayed I would say!!!:Y:

It's great to see more of the people behind the avatars... I even caught a peek of George the other day!!! And you are quite right Jay...everybody does seem to have glorious smiles! Does that mean we are all so happy in our work??

Is that only a tiny corner of your display Di? You did mention that you might take a piccy of it in its full glory... Did you ever get round to that??

Di Sandland
27-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Its a tiny corner and, no, I didn't take a pic in its full glory cos on day 2 I couldn't be arsed to set it up properly cos day one had been so atrocious!

It is nice to meet people tho - Nicky is lovely, as I'm sure are you ;)

Emerald
27-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Lovely photo of the both of you and you have a gorgeous smile Di xx

Jayne
27-10-2009, 03:44 PM
What a gorgeous happy picture of you both! []
J x
(Also, T-shirt is fab, gift boxes looked tres chic & I have to say, crushed velvet made a v nice backdrop :Y:)

Petal
27-10-2009, 05:47 PM
What a gorgeous happy picture of you both! []
J x
(Also, T-shirt is fab, gift boxes looked tres chic & I have to say, crushed velvet made a v nice backdrop :Y:)

I agreewith Jayne. Don't give yourself a hard time re the piccie - we all look different as we get older for all sorts of reasons and you're a lovely lady with a lovely smile. [] OK, I'll stop now before you start to blush :"> That 'T' shirt looks FAB Di - what a great way of advertising your business - do you mind if I copy the idea?

Lotsaluv

xx

Di Sandland
27-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Course I don't mind - and if you want to put Moon Cottage Jewellery on it, so much the better ;)

Petal
27-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Oh, OK then... I'll advertise mine on the front and yours on the back ;)

xx

bustagasket
27-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Di your personality is so huge that it shines out of everywhere. You have a beautiful smile - steroids cant take that away from you. You ooze a warmth which envelopes those around you and i am sure Nicci would have been roasting, actually meeting you in person. I would love to meet up with you, and i am pretty sure everyone on this forum would.

I think the photo is fab, the t-shirt is a brilliant idea, and what i can see of the stand looks classy. Let your charisma show how attractive you are hun, and tell the steroids they havent won!

Di Sandland
27-10-2009, 07:11 PM
Oh, you are so lovely, all of you.

I have to admit that what the various drugs (steroids and chemotherapy) have done to my body really upsets me and has drained my confidence. So much so that I rarely go out anymore. Before you all start shouting, I know that is so stupid but I just can't seem to get over it.

Enough of my hang ups anyway! I'm glad to count you all amongst my friends.

[[]]

Emerald
27-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Well not only did you go out but you went out and showed off your jewellery so even though not great sales it must have been a boost to you confidence especially when the nice flirty man gave you a pressie. You ooze confidence on this site and i am sure are a huge inspiration to many of us xx

bustagasket
27-10-2009, 07:47 PM
You ooze confidence on this site and i am sure are a huge inspiration to many of us xx

Hear Hear mrs

Solunar Silver Studio
27-10-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm glad to count you all amongst my friends.
[[]]

Too right!![]

Sounds to me that you need to start giving yourself a right talking to!! I was in a very similar state of mind not too long ago - although I have not had the trauma of facing health issues like you do. Then I read in some self help book about verbalising positive statements about yourself which helps to alter the way in which you view yourself...and I thought....yeah!...right....!

But I started to do it. I went out in the very early mornings - into the local park and started talking out loud to myself about myself...but only making positive statements. And very gradually I have started to turn around the very negative self image that I have had for as long as I can remember and I have started to feel a lot more confident and capable.

It's all a bit hocus pocusy - this sending out positive vibes into the Universe...but there is no law against it!!

You have some marvelous nature round your parts (and no...I'm still not talking about your hips!![]) Go draw some strength from the power of the sea and shout to the wind and the waves that you are strong and powerful and confident and able and clever and beautiful and creative and proud of yourself and say it like you really mean it!! And really feel what you are saying! Apart from feeling a right plonka if someone spots you doing it it really does make you feel more powerful and in control.

Don't hide yourself away... You are not stupid... It's just your mind suggesting you take the easy path... but you are better than that! We all know you are... and deep down you know you are... just keep reminding yourself that you are strong and powerful and confident and able and clever and beautiful and creative and proud of yourself etc.etc.!!

I'm sure we are all behind you! [[]]

Di Sandland
27-10-2009, 07:57 PM
duh! gonna go and cry now #-o nice tears tho

Solunar Silver Studio
27-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Go on then...if you must... Breathe out sadness...breathe in joy... Breathe out weakness... breathe in strength... ..... ..... ..... .....

Oh crumbs....people are going to really think I'm nuts now!!!!:o

Emerald
27-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Go on then...if you must... Breathe out sadness...breathe in joy... Breathe out weakness... breathe in strength... ..... ..... ..... .....

Oh crumbs....people are going to really think I'm nuts now!!!!:o

No..... we know you are already but nicely nuts:X

Solunar Silver Studio
28-10-2009, 06:54 AM
:Y:...I can live with that!! :D

caroleallen
28-10-2009, 07:20 AM
I know how you feel. I spent years of strategically placing my children in front of me in every photo. Can't do that now as they're both miles taller than me, plus they've both left home! I'd better get a large dog.

Nic, I'm soooooooooo jealous! Linda Darty is a hero of mine. Shame the course is so close to Christmas or I'd be doing it too. That would have been fun though we'd have been in trouble for giggling too much.

EmmaRose
28-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Been there, done that. Don't worry it is in no way your work!
bummer though and so much worse when cold and wet!
Em