PDA

View Full Version : How are other sellers handling the postal dispute?

Boo
23-10-2009, 02:01 PM
I was hoping initially not to draw too much attention to this in the hope that it may be averted and not become as much of a problem as we perhaps dreaded.

But I've had to face it today and decide what to say in public and how I'll handle orders from now. No matter what happens next week, the two days of the strike, on top of disruption in some places already, is bound to cause some delays at the very least, as the backlog is cleared. Not to mention how much worse it has the potential to become.

I fear that some damage has already been done, I've had comments that people won't order until things have settled again and hearing comments in street sound bytes on TV and anecdotal comments from my husband's work colleagues and the like, people are declaring that they won't do Christmas shopping on-line this year. And certainly, the last few weeks (my holiday didn't help) have been my quietest by far after an excellent summer.

The best I can do is to work closely with customers to ensure that I give the best service I can and try and mitigate the potential damage. I already offer a Special Delivery upgrade on my site (some, more expensive, items already include it) and have halved the price of this - splitting it with the customers that would prefer to see if this service speeds things up a little.

This is my statement, as a potential customer, would that strike you as fair:
http://www.boo-creations.co.uk/shop/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=10

bustagasket
23-10-2009, 02:09 PM
I dont think there is much more that they could expect you to do hun, and i think its very fair :)

Kalorlo
23-10-2009, 02:27 PM
That sounds fine to me, Boo.

(I'm still ordering things online, but my area doesn't seem to have been affected too much. I also don't order things by post that I require within a tight deadline :))

Petal
23-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Hi Boo,

I don't sell anything on-line at I don't have a website, but am in the process of doing some on-line ordering and a lot of my suppliers are offering to use a courier service, or already do. Others are suggesting to people that they should wait till the Monday following a Friday strike to put in an on-line order, as its more likely to get delivered swiftly, than if they put their order in over the strike period. They say they have heard that the postmen are not dealing with the backlog correctly, they are delivering more current post, rather than the post held up in the backlog and that's why there are so many delays.

Reading through the link you posted - the only other thing I might add is that you could find out what a courier company would charge and put that price in too, so your customers have something to compare it to and see that your offer of half the cost of Royal Mail is a half-way house. Just a thought.

xx

caroleallen
23-10-2009, 02:47 PM
I'm certainly noticing a lack of on-line orders at the moment compared with this time last year. The postal workers in our area are still working though and I hear from the post office staff that the problem is only really bad in inner city areas.

Boo
23-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Thanks for bothering to check the page for me, it's much appreciated.

It doesn't matter to me when people place orders, as obviously being on my own, it's me that processes everything - and many pieces need alteration or finishing, so I would determine when they went into the post - so I can choose and control that.

I had already thought that sending them after any action might put them in the system as new mail, rather than sitting in a backlog, so I would rather hold on to them than post when they might sit there for a bit - with the potential for getting lost or damaged.

I think a courier may be out of the question, for the small volume I'd need it for - I doubt that I could secure a decent price. But I get your point about including a price for comparison.

There is a Home Delivery Network system I've been looking at that someone else said they use - you drop parcels in a local collection point and the recipient collects it from a similar collection point somewhere near them - it tends to be in newsagents and the like that open longer hours. The parcels are under £4 for up to 10Kg and insured. So if it were to drag on, I'd look at that more seriously - that relies on the customer being prepared to and having somewhere close to collect it.

Petal
23-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi Boo,

I've googled courier companies and come up with this Courier Quote - Shipment Details (http://www.interparcel.com/quote/courier-quote1.php?ref=GoogleIPGeneral) - you type in your required weight, click next and up pops a selection of courier companies that can quote for you. You just hover your mouse over the name and it will come up with a price. Yes, I've heard of the Home Delivery network and we get things delivered from time to time by them - but they deliver here - so our supplier must have some sort of deal with them to deliver, as well as customers collecting. They do a very good service and everything comes in tip top condition in glass bottles ;)

BTW, try not to get too disheartened by what you read/hear in the media - about people not buying on-line Boo. Its all a load of spin/BS anyway and I'd just take what they say with a pinch of salt. There might be a bit of a lull for a few days, but once the posties are back, it will all die down and get back to normal. Don't forget that buying on-line is quick and simple and most people (especially customers who like beautiful, one off pieces like yours) are more than willing to wait for their goodies to arrive, especially when its beautifully made sparklies from you ! :Y: Don't let them grind you down []

lotsaluv and take care

xx

lesley
23-10-2009, 07:19 PM
Wow, Boo, that looks very efficient and professional.

As luck would have it I've had my first Etsy sale this week but I've explained about the strike and she's happy for me to post next week. It's going to the Netherlands so I just need one clear day to get it out of the country. :)

I've seen similar notices to yours on the sites of various suppliers and others just seem to be delaying posting.
I've been surprised by how quickly suppliers have got alternative couriers in place. If the strikes continue (please not three days next week!) I wonder if some of them will go back to Royal Mail?

Boo
23-10-2009, 08:44 PM
I've googled courier companies and come up with this Courier Quote - Shipment Details (http://www.interparcel.com/quote/courier-quote1.php?ref=GoogleIPGeneral)
Many thanks for that and taking the time to find it - and for your kind words, I've opened it and will study it shortly. I have a couple of couriers that may be suitable at under £4 per parcel - but they take 3-5 days. We'll have to wait and see how things pan out in coming days and towards Christmas. I hope it isn't going to be necessary.

Yes, I've heard of the Home Delivery network and we get things delivered from time to time by them - but they deliver here
The Home Delivery guys work mainly for stores and catalogues - they also run a separate service for individual users but it runs between largely shops where you drop off your parcel and the recipient picks it up from one near them: Collect+ (http://www.collectplus.co.uk/)

Wow, Boo, that looks very efficient and professional.
Thanks. It has been well worth doing, as I've already had 2 orders this evening and both commented that they'd been glad to read that page and felt reassured in ordering.