PDA

View Full Version : One of my earlier pieces

pauljoels
23-10-2009, 01:11 PM
I've been meaning to put something on here for ages but keep forgetting! Also, I'm really bad when it comes to talking pictures of my work, particularly those I make as presents for friends/family. I always say I'll take photos, but never do...

Anyway this ring is something I do have photos of and was one of my first pieces. Silver and 23 3/4c gold leaf decoration.

http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/members/pauljoels-albums-1-picture17-ring.jpg

bustagasket
23-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Wow i wouldnt know where to start with making something like that, and it was one of your first pieces and you were using gold leaf??? *insert faint emote*.

Not really been brave enough to attempt rings myself (except the simple one i made at Nics) I will get to it one day lol But well done you! Now get photographing!

pauljoels
23-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Where I used to work we used gold leaf so much the ops director gave me a few booklets every now and then for my jewellery. Lucky really cos I practiced with it before making this and made quite a mess inthe process! No such freebies anymore though...

I know it's not perfect, and Su, it's really not as difficult as you may think! T'was a little fiddly, but quite simple in reality.

Lisa Quinn
23-10-2009, 03:09 PM
Oooh, Paul that's really striking, me likey .

Does the gold leaf stay on once applied or do you have to seal it to ensure that it stays put?

snow_imp
23-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Very nice - and original too.

pauljoels
23-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Thanks!

I applied the gold leaf by using a pen size applicator, then heated the size using my torch - but very quick stroke over the surface (you should really let the size go tacky over 10-20 mins or so, but I didn't want to wait), and then apply the gold leaf.

To be honest, it's prettier than it is functional - I haven't sealed it because I didn't want to change the appearance of it in any way, but I guess technically it should be sealed, although what with I am not sure.

The gold leaf was used in my company and was never sealed - it was put onto clocks for churches and all sorts of other building/public art pieces, and it can last in the elements for 20 years or so before it seriously needs replacing. The down side to using it in jewellery is that the grease from your fingers can tarnish it (saying that though, it still looks ok after being worn a few times - not by me!). I liked the roughness of the finish that it provided.

Oh and you need to be very careful when buffing it - just cotton wool (be careful if you are considering using a cotton bud, because the pressure whilst rubbing can be too much and can cause it to rub off completely, especially if not applied in the right way in the first instance).

Jayne
25-10-2009, 01:20 PM
Ooh, I like that :)
Really admire the contrast between the almost industrial look of the wire and the fairy like touch of gold leaf. Why ever did you leave that job?
J x