PDA

View Full Version : Is there an easy way to write on PMC?

jools02
23-10-2009, 10:18 AM
Hi all, I've just started making fingerprint jewellery and I like to engrave a name next to the fingerprint. The way I was shown how to do it is to wait until the clay is completely dry, and then use a needle tool to etch the name. I'm using it quite lightly but I'm getting very 'scratchy' results. Is there a way I can etch the name whilst the clay is more 'pliable'? Obviously I know I can't do it when its completely wet as it wouldn't work. Another idea I had was maybe to brush some water over the area I want to etch and then write onto it.

Anyone know the best way to do it?

Solunar Silver Studio
23-10-2009, 11:51 AM
I'm no expert with pmc - but I did do a lot of work with real clay in my HND and I think the priciples are pretty much the same. If you try to do it in wet clay or clay that you have dampened again it will drag the surface and you will get wrinkles (and so will the clay!!:-D) You do need to do it when it is dry. If you do it lightly at first and go over it again and again you should get a better result - but I would suggest that you work with some magnifying device and work very slowly so that you keep to the lines you have already inscribed. The best way to write on wet clay is by impressing letters into it.

I'm sure the real pmc experts will be along in a bit...and I know that Nic (Murano) does fingerprints so she will be the one to listen to!!...but hope this helps in the meantime!

Boo
23-10-2009, 12:00 PM
I've wondered about this myself when seeing writing in PMC pieces - I've never used PMC so I'm just curious - could you engrave the dried clay, before firing, with a rotary tool with a suitable engraving tool?

It always struck me that this might give a better results than some of the writing I've seen on PMC.

mizgeorge
23-10-2009, 12:11 PM
If you want to work in wet clay, you could always stamp the name with small rubber alphabet stamps - there are a huge range of fonts available.

jools02
23-10-2009, 12:15 PM
If you want to work in wet clay, you could always stamp the name with small rubber alphabet stamps - there are a huge range of fonts available.

Yes, however I think it looks so much better when its hand written.

MuranoSilver
23-10-2009, 02:07 PM
I always do it in dried silver clay (otherwise you do get kicking up at the edges).
Here's how I do try using the end of a burnisher and go slow :)
PMC Tips - Carving Text into Silver Clay (http://pmctips.blogspot.com/2009/02/carving-text-onto-pmc-silver-clay.html)
Nic x

jools02
23-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Great, thanks for the wonderful tips, you have some fab advice on your website!

barclaybear
20-11-2009, 03:11 PM
George (or Anyone), where do you find it best to get small individual letter rubber stamps from please? I've been schmoozing the web for days but haven't found somewhere that has something I can identify as being small enough for what I need.

I'm trying to get four words on something about 1.5 x 2cm and trying to write/scratch them myself just isn't working.

Many thanx
BBear

mizgeorge
20-11-2009, 04:09 PM
I have some justrite stampers that are very small indeed, and do the job well, but they're hard to find now. Their new range has some tiny letters, but I think they're upper case only.

Old fashioned childrens' printing kits are often perfect for this, or if you can find some old letterpress founts (they pop up on ebay), they work well too.

Otherwise, you could make your own polymer stamps up. Either the whole words, or make up individual letters and use them as needed.

Emerald
20-11-2009, 04:18 PM
just found some in Hobbycraft 99p

barclaybear
20-11-2009, 05:10 PM
Ooo - where can I get polymer stamps made up???

Jo - checked on the Hobbycraft website but can't see any letter stamps. What exactly are they called plse (so I know what to search on)?

Thanks Guys.

Emerald
20-11-2009, 05:13 PM
They are just called Clear Stamps x

Nic and i found a brillliant stamper selection at the artisan show will go and see if i can find the cardx

mizgeorge
20-11-2009, 05:25 PM
There are loads of good ready made stamps around, but I'm not sure any of them will be small enough for what you need - other than the just rite ones at 6pt. The area you've got to work with is really pretty small (I don't know how long the words are!)

You can buy photopolymer plates from most of the PMC supply places I believe, but will need a UV light to cure them. Alternatively, you could try the imagepac system - the most basic one is not expensive:

Photocentric Online Shop (http://www.imagepacdaylight.co.uk/Shop/Catalogue.asp?Parent=X&Show=KITS&ShowDesc=Imagepac%20Stamp%20Making%20Kits&Page=1)

With either of these, it's worth filling the plate, even if just with images you might use in the future.

MuranoSilver
20-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Silverclay.co.uk make little tiny rubber stamps and holders for them too...
They under textures / alphabet stamps (http://www.silverclay.co.uk/shtm.htm#alph)
nic x

mizgeorge
20-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Should have said, you can use metal punch alphabets too, they come as small as 1mm

Cooksons 999 ASZ and 999 HAF. You can't press too hard with them, but they're nicely dual purpose.

MuranoSilver
20-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Oooh good point George :)
If you use the metal stamps make sure you spray them with coolslip or oil them
(don't want them going rusty)
nicx

Emerald
20-11-2009, 07:23 PM
i use my metal stamps x