PDA

View Full Version : Locket

caroleallen
22-10-2009, 06:45 PM
OMG what have I done! I've just taken on a commission for a large silver locket and I've never done one before. It's hammered and round and made from argentium. So far I've done the circles and fused silver stems onto them ready for silver flowers with gold centres once the locket is ready for assembly. (Argentium fuses fantastically, yeay!)

Does anyone have any tips on making lockets, as it's a new one on me? It'll take me a while 'cos I haven't got the right tube for the hinge and I've only just had an order from Cooksons.

Solunar Silver Studio
22-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Oooooo....crumbs!! I hope you haven't got a deadline for this locket!?? I think Tim McCreight has done a book on lockets and boxes...but I can't remember exactly what it has got in it. I'm quite excited that you have found Argentium to fuse well...I'm hoping to have a proper play with it over the week end...nothing quite as special as you though! Sorry I can be of no help to you...except I'll cross my fingers for you if that helps!!:D

caroleallen
22-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Silversmithess eh! Thanks for the comments. I've just had a go at fusing some 3mm argentium silver wire to make a bangle and it worked perfectly. Fantastic, as I normally spend ages filing away solder, which is really boring when I make 30 or so at a time.

AlexandraBuckle
23-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Good luck with it! I'd love to see pics of it in progress!

Di Sandland
23-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Carole, you'll be fine and you'll do it beautifully. And when its done - show us a pic ;)

Solunar Silver Studio
23-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Silversmithess eh! Thanks for the comments. I've just had a go at fusing some 3mm argentium silver wire to make a bangle and it worked perfectly. Fantastic, as I normally spend ages filing away solder, which is really boring when I make 30 or so at a time.

Ooooo...fusing.....music to my ears!!! I have bought some Argentium solders but I would much prefer to fuse it! Do you flux and fuse or does it just fuse as 'virgin' metal like fine silver does?

lesley
23-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Probably stupid question here, but I thought you could only fuse fine silver (not that I've done it but read about it :))? Or can you fuse silver over a certain percantage.....of silver?

caroleallen
23-10-2009, 07:16 PM
You just flux and fuse. Simples!

lesley
23-10-2009, 07:25 PM
OK, so I must be really stoopid becuse I thought with fusing you didn't use any solder or flux, but just heat. Can you fuse sterling?

Sorry Carole, I'm keeping you away from your locket but my thirst for information just won't be quenched. :D
Quench me, quench me!

caroleallen
23-10-2009, 08:20 PM
You have to be careful if you quench too soon!

With argentium you just flux it (with Auroflux ideally) and heat it until it fuses together. You don't have to worry about firestain. You do have to be careful not to move the piece too soon as it's quite brittle until it cools down and you shouldn't quench it too soon!

Emerald
23-10-2009, 09:39 PM
OK, so I must be really stoopid becuse I thought with fusing you didn't use any solder or flux, but just heat. Can you fuse sterling?

Sorry Carole, I'm keeping you away from your locket but my thirst for information just won't be quenched. :D
Quench me, quench me!

My spiral beads are just fused Lesley no flux but i think argentium sounds excellent for this as no firestain x

MuranoSilver
23-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Oooh good luck with the locket - looking forward to seeing the pics :)
Nic x

glen
25-10-2009, 09:39 PM
OMG what have I done! I've just taken on a commission for a large silver locket and I've never done one before. It's hammered and round and made from argentium. So far I've done the circles and fused silver stems onto them ready for silver flowers with gold centres once the locket is ready for assembly. (Argentium fuses fantastically, yeay!)

Does anyone have any tips on making lockets, as it's a new one on me? It'll take me a while 'cos I haven't got the right tube for the hinge and I've only just had an order from Cooksons.

Is it the hinge yr having problems with? or the clasp? Tube is really easy to make if you have the right tools. I have noticed a few people ask about hinges, may consider making a video about hinge making.
Have you made this locket already?

glen
25-10-2009, 09:46 PM

Quench me, quench me!

you can pretty much fuse most metals with the right placement of heat but in most cases fusing might not stand much work on it without splitting, where a soldered item might be able to be worked on. The other side of fusing is that if applied incorrectly may cause fire stain or 'sweating' in some metals.
Brazing is very similar to fusing and has a whole lot of different issues depending on the alloys and metals.

EmmaRose
28-10-2009, 03:05 PM
Look forward to some pics...I have only made a swing locket. How do ypu make flowers then?
Yes Tim McCreight has a boxes and lockets book....(on my list :D)
Em