PDA

View Full Version : Wire Weaving...

Solunar Silver Studio
22-10-2009, 09:55 AM
I am never very comfortable with the thought of posting threads on this category but here goes....

I've been having a play with wire weaving - since I am still feeling a bit under the weather (it's been nearly 6 weeks now!!) - and this seemed like a fairly easy process in principle!!

I have only used silver plated wire and had to guess how much to use...so it has ended up 25cm long!!

It is only my first attempt and I am pretty pleased the way it has come out...what do you think?? (Please excuse hairy arm!! - could do with a bit of photoshopping!!)

I've just folded the ends over for now although it is firm enough to chop them off without it unravelling! I have got the instructions from this book http://www.rockhounds.com/rockshop/books/images/woven_wire_jewelry.jpg and there are loads of ideas in there for different weaves and using pmc as end pieces and focals so I think there is lots of potential.

Ultimately I want to have a go using Argentium...but this piece - although a bit on the long side!!- took about 4 metres, so it won't be cheap! Has anyone tried using Argentium with pmc yet? I don't know whether I should try to 'slip'/embed end pieces on or solder them...

Any thoughts anybody? I might try a ring sized piece over the weekend and try both techniques...but all comments welcomed!!

Lisa Quinn
22-10-2009, 10:01 AM
It looks fantastic Barbara, how long did it take you to do??

Four metres of wire!! blummin' eck that is going to be expensive in Argentium, what gauge is it?

Solunar Silver Studio
22-10-2009, 10:10 AM
It was surprisingly easy when once I got started. I guess it was about an hour or so but spread around making the dinner! I used .8 gauge and there are 12 strands woven together. No - if I do it in Argentium it won't be in the bargain basement section that is for sure!! Of course - I will make it shorter - but then if I add pmc the cost goes up again!! Still - it has a nice weight to it! I would love to try some of the collars in the book - when I really get the hang of it.

Lisa Quinn
22-10-2009, 10:26 AM
AN HOUR !!!!!

It takes me days to make anything !!

I love collars, chokers and all that sort of thing, particularly byzantine weave, can't wait to see the final result.

bustagasket
22-10-2009, 10:42 AM
bloody hell that looks brilliant and only took you an hour!!! sheesh!

mizgeorge
22-10-2009, 10:50 AM
That looks great B :)

It seems a shame to chop the ends after all that work - could you not loop them over eachother to make an adjustable bangle?

Solunar Silver Studio
22-10-2009, 11:15 AM
It really is that quick!!... I've decided have have a go at the ring pieces now. I ordered a couple of metres of 0.5 when Argentium first come out in July to have a go at knitting/crocheting...but hey! this is better!! It's rather like knitting those tubes with the old dolly cotton reel that I did as a kid!! I started this at quarter to 12 and I have got this far and that includes the time taken to photograph and upload it and write this - which takes me ages!! I'm only using 8 strands but it is working up rather well! I'll keep going to the end of the wire (I just cut the 2 metre lengths in half then folded them in 2 - making 8 quarter metre lengths) and then I will cut ring lengths off of the finished piece.

I'm sure I will do something with the plated piece George...but it was only intended as a practice piece so I'm not too bothered...I can't do anything else with the wire....I got a huge batch from Wires ages ago and it had a strange smell to it (I know it sounds odd) but I thought it would wear off...but it doesn't....not even if I wash it!! Not the sort of thing you want to make tiaras out of!!! (phew!!) So it does well as practice wire!!

Boo
22-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Both look fabulous.

I've done something similar with leather for bracelets, but not in wire. I actually drew a sketch for a design that had a section plaited like that earlier this week to work in copper, but haven't tried it yet.

Looking forward to seeing the finished results.

lesley
22-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Now that is gorgeous! Chokers would be lovely.

snow_imp
22-10-2009, 11:51 AM
Wow that looks amazing.

Solunar Silver Studio
22-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks everyone! I must say I am getting more and more excited!! This Argentium is lovely to work with. I did read that it doesn't work harden as quickly as sterling does and it is true...not so rough on the old arthritic thumbs!!

Well - I've finished off that length now... 21 cm out of 2 metres 0.5 Argentium. It needs a bit of tweaking and straightening out but it is around 4mm wide. I don't know if it would work as a ring but I'll have a go with pmc joining it. So - if it works...that should make around 3 rings.... Not so bad!

I've not got much 'me' time 'til the weekend now... I'll have to do some design sketching instead...perhaps I could try the cookies challenge around this woven stuff!!:Y:

MuranoSilver
22-10-2009, 12:19 PM
Oooh they are all wonderful, love the springy bangle in the first photo.
Hope you make it in Argentium soon :)
Nic x

Kalorlo
22-10-2009, 12:29 PM
They're lovely! Ooh, I have an idea for when I get home...

Petal
22-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Oh Barbara, they are both really lovely - have you woven baskets before?? I have and its so theraputic, but not so good on the thumbs :N: but weaving wire - wow, that looks like a lot of fun. :Y:

Love

xx

Solunar Silver Studio
22-10-2009, 01:11 PM
I did do some basket weaving....about a quarter of a century ago!! But I love the look of plaiting and braiding...I used to do all manner of things to my daughter's hair when she was young enough to let me!:-D And I recently bought a book on braiding leather and have had a go at round plaits which are great fun to do!! S…HELL 4 LEATHER! « SolunarSilverStudio’s Blog (http://solunarsilverstudio.wordpress.com/2009/02/13/s%E2%80%A6hell-4-leather/)

But this really is something else...it is such an easy technique...and as it only needs a ring clamp to hold it steady - it is one of those things you can do curled up in the corner of the sofa... It would be a great thing to do at shows I would guess....not that I have done one! ...as you can put it down and pick it up as and when you have the time spare.. and the results are almost instantaneous and look good!

I'm really keen on Celtic looking jewellery - and I think this looks very much like it...

Lots to think about during my baby sitting day tomorrow!!

Petal
22-10-2009, 01:31 PM
uuummmm - very inspiring that! I might have a play later and will post some piccies if its any good.

Its a bit of a 'doing', rather than posting on the forum day today.

xx

amazingbabe
22-10-2009, 04:56 PM
very nice weaving, An hour omg i can't even make up my mind in an hour ha ha:Y:

Emerald
22-10-2009, 05:41 PM
those both look great Barbara you should post more :Y:

caroleallen
22-10-2009, 07:00 PM
That looks absolutely fab. Trouble is anything that special is never cheap.

Jayne
22-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Oh Barbara, those are really beautiful :D
It's such a classic look that you could marry it with so many different elements.......and to think that you did it in an hour and when you were feeling under the weather!! I usually fill a box of tissues under similar circumstances lol
J x

Kalorlo
22-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Doh. I had a go, but I can't keep my wire pulled tightly enough together. I've ended up with one side of the weave having rounder bends and the other flatter. :(|

Solunar Silver Studio
23-10-2009, 07:55 AM
I'm just off for my morning walk - trying to get fit(ish) again after feeling so bad for so long! When I get back I'll give you a run down of how I'm doing the weaving to see if it can help you. It'll have to be quick though 'cos I then have to pick up my grandson for the day....

AlexandraBuckle
23-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Barbara the weaving looks wonderful!

Solunar Silver Studio
23-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Doh. I had a go, but I can't keep my wire pulled tightly enough together. I've ended up with one side of the weave having rounder bends and the other flatter. :(|

Hi Heather...sorry I took so long...but I have been working hard on your behalf and killing two birds with one stone as well! My grandson is here now and currently being entertained by son one...so I have had some time to update my blog - which I haven't done since the beginning of September!=:-O - and at the same time do a 'how to do it' with piccies - to see if it might help you. Anyway, even if you have already sorted yourself out - others of you might want to see it... It's not super amazing - like Boo seems to manage - but it's the best I can do with my limited computer and photography abilities!

Anyway - here is the link...SolunarSilverStudio’s Blog (http://www.solunarsilverstudio.wordpress.com/)

I've just had a look at the blog again - and if you want me to make the smaller photos as big as the others let me know...I was trying to save space a bit but it's no good if it means no-one can see what is going on in the pictures!!

Kalorlo
23-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Woo, thanks Barbara! I'll read it and have another go this evening.

ETA: Ah, I don't have a clamp. I think I might be able to get something more regular than I managed before by letting the weave be looser and just accept that it's going to be a bit different.

Petal
23-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Woo, thanks Barbara! I'll read it and have another go this evening.

ETA: Ah, I don't have a clamp. I think I might be able to get something more regular than I managed before by letting the weave be looser and just accept that it's going to be a bit different.

Thanks from me too [] I don't have clamp either, but am keen to have a go as well. It looks so striking, doesn't it!

BTW, I love your blog.

xx

Solunar Silver Studio
23-10-2009, 05:06 PM
In the book they use one of those heavy duty black and yellow spring clamps -

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/212MBH6NSNL._SL500_AA200_.jpg

- Ok so that one is red and black but the same sort of thing!! - but as I didn't have one of those I thought the ring clamp worked really well - especially as it has cork padded insides to the jaws. I guess you could use anything along those lines.

I'm glad you like my blog Jules! ...just the ramblings of a slightly mad woman mostly...but it has taught me an awful lot about doing stuff with computers and has made me more outgoing and confident too, so it has had added benefits!!

Petal
23-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the pic of the clamp Bee. I've just remembered I use some tiny red and black clamps to hold my display boards to the table, so I'll use one of those when I have a go. Thanks Bee.:X

Its good to do something that we find difficult, isn't it. The buzz & confidence boost you get from it when you do it is well worth the 'agony' of trying something new, isn't it!
xx

Kalorlo
23-10-2009, 05:41 PM
I have no clamps at all! I might have to go past the hardware shop tomorrow and see what they have.

Kalorlo
24-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Woo! I picked up a big spring clamp today and my go tonight was rather more successful: by the last two inches here I'd say I'd got the hang of it :dance:

I reused the wires I'd been trying with before, so they were a tad rippled to start with!

Thanks again for the tutorial - it helped a lot :D

Petal
24-10-2009, 10:50 PM
ooh, that's lovely. must must must have a go at that.......

but off to bed now.. night night

xx

Solunar Silver Studio
25-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Lovely stuff Heather!! Doesn't it work well with the different wires! It is such an easy technique isn't it? I'm glad my little 'tutorial' was helpful![]

Gemma
25-10-2009, 12:02 PM
Great tutorial Barbara. Thanks for sharing. Your bangle is lovely...as is your ring. :)
I've got that book too- its great! Haven't tried anything yet though...I just look at all the pretty pictures!! :">

I came across this braiding tutorial page with all sorts of weaves if anyones interested. Its for string but I've used copper wire for a 7 braid strand and even tried a lot of them out as hairstyles!!
Braiding (http://nrich.maths.org/public/viewer.php?obj_id=5778)

Ominicci
27-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Barbara and others who have tried this - how wonderful the results are!!!! I'm all for quick results too and this seems to fit the bill! I will be interested to see how everyone finishes their 'ends' (ooer) and what type of clasps are chosen.

Well done everyone!!!:Y:

Solunar Silver Studio
27-10-2009, 12:45 PM
I am working on pmc additions to Argentium as we speak! If all goes well I will try some end pieces of pmc on one of the rings before embarking on a full scale Argentium bangle with pmc. That will be my Christmas present to myself...and I think I am entitled to splash out on such a worthy cause!!!:-D