PDA

View Full Version : Class this week, then...

jetlag
20-10-2009, 06:00 PM
half term! What am I going to do!!!??? I don't have a torch or bench peg yet (though I do have a saw, files, rawhide mallet) so would be very limited as to what I could.

Withdrawals! :'( :'( :'( :'(

bustagasket
20-10-2009, 06:11 PM
oh poor you, my tutor has taken an extra week but at least i have some tools at home []

amazingbabe
20-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Let rip on the credit card ha ha,,, just make a list of what is really really essential xx[-X

jetlag
20-10-2009, 06:23 PM
I've been reliably informed that Santa's sleigh will be heaving under the weight of my jewellery tool related Christmas presents (OH YEEEEEEEES!) so I'm just going to have to grit my teeth I think LOL

Still, I'm going to be like a little kid on Christmas Eve!

snow_imp
20-10-2009, 06:29 PM
I've been reliably informed that Santa's sleigh will be heaving under the weight of my jewellery tool related Christmas presents (OH YEEEEEEEES!) so I'm just going to have to grit my teeth I think LOL

Still, I'm going to be like a little kid on Christmas Eve!

Nice! Something to really look forward to, I'm sure you'll have real fun after that.

mizgeorge
20-10-2009, 06:29 PM
The Cookson bench peg/anvil clamps onto any table and is only a tenner ;) Would make it a lot easier to use those other things too!

bustagasket
20-10-2009, 06:33 PM
The Cookson bench peg/anvil clamps onto any table and is only a tenner ;) Would make it a lot easier to use those other things too!

I got one of them - i even clamp it to my laptray for my fretwork sawing lol

Gemma
20-10-2009, 06:47 PM
I've got one too! It arrived this morning along with the rest of my first ever order. Its perfect! Now if only I didn't have to go to work...

Solunar Silver Studio
20-10-2009, 08:32 PM
I don't really know how much of a 'new' jewellery addict you are...have you already done work with wire?? If not then you could try playing with copper wire and getting accustomed to how to manipulate it and make some great bracelets and things like Su' (bustagasket) has. Alternatively - if you can only think of sheet at the moment - take some time to doodle loads of designs...some simple and some complex...even go to the extent of drawing out templates of shapes you would need to make a piece and try to work out how you would need to construct it. That way you will be ahead of the game when you get back to college and will know what you want to make and will have the designs all worked out! It gives the old creative brain cells a good workout too!

bustagasket
20-10-2009, 08:53 PM
I don't really know how much of a 'new' jewellery addict you are...have you already done work with wire?? If not then you could try playing with copper wire and getting accustomed to how to manipulate it and make some great bracelets and things like Su' (bustagasket) has. Alternatively - if you can only think of sheet at the moment - take some time to doodle loads of designs...some simple and some complex...even go to the extent of drawing out templates of shapes you would need to make a piece and try to work out how you would need to construct it. That way you will be ahead of the game when you get back to college and will know what you want to make and will have the designs all worked out! It gives the old creative brain cells a good workout too!

Great advice there B, must admit i havent used copper at all, i dived straight in lol, but i love working with wire and want to explore it further. I think we are all totally addicted.

jetlag
20-10-2009, 08:59 PM
I have some silver wire left over from making my felt/button bouquet for my wedding. I could have a go with that. I have a mandrel so maybe I'll make a ring!

I also used to make chain maille and have been really tempted to have a go at that again using anodized aluminium, so that's a good idea.

The bench peg is on my Christmas list, so I have to wait for that :'( I don't do waiting very well LOL

MuranoSilver
21-10-2009, 08:17 AM
Well whatever you come up with it's all good practice :)
nicx

Coco
26-10-2009, 04:01 PM
I don't have college tomorrow coz the bastards insist we have a break. At first I didn't give it much thought but now it's really bugging me :'( At least I won't have to do battle with rush hour this week. Every cloud eh? :rolleyes:

CDW Designs
26-10-2009, 04:03 PM
half term! What am I going to do!!!??? I don't have a torch or bench peg yet (though I do have a saw, files, rawhide mallet) so would be very limited as to what I could.

Withdrawals! :'( :'( :'( :'(

Start learning chainmaille. No need for a torch or pench peg!! Experiment with silver wire.

AlexandraBuckle
26-10-2009, 05:50 PM

Yep I have one of those too. Its great cos i use my table for other stuff other than jewellery and wouldn't want a bench peg on there permanently as it would get in the way.

jetlag
29-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Start learning chainmaille. No need for a torch or pench peg!! Experiment with silver wire.

Already do chainmail. I used to make armour, too :lol:

EmmaRose
29-10-2009, 02:27 PM
bench pegs are cheap and torches not too bad...go for it!

Coco
29-10-2009, 05:46 PM
I bought a really nice bench peg for £5.00 last week. It's much sturdier than my original one so I'm gonna stick with it and just keep hold of the anvil bit from the old one for.....anvil stuff :)

Coco
01-11-2009, 06:15 PM
And now I've got class starting in a couple of days and I don't want to go! I like lazing around not really having to speak to anyone :rolleyes:

jetlag
03-11-2009, 05:22 PM
And now I've got class starting in a couple of days and I don't want to go! I like lazing around not really having to speak to anyone :rolleyes:

Go! It's so much fun and very inspiring, just seeing what other students no more than a year ahead of me can do :)

The stone lady is coming this week. The teacher wants us to pick a stone so we can do bezels :D

Coco
10-11-2009, 04:33 PM
So what stone did you pick? :dance: