PDA

View Full Version : Hallmarking "tags"

bustagasket
20-10-2009, 09:31 AM
I got my tutor to sign my form for the assay office (must remember to dig it out of my college bag and send it off!!) but as some of you may have noticed i tend to make delicate stuff, which i am not sure will be all that easy for hallmarking without damage, or without showing too much

So i was wondering if i could have little tags near the catch or whatever on bracelets and necklaces, for the hallmark to be done on, i have been told this is allowed, but my question is, how can i go about making something individual, but easily repeated for the tags, (i have drawn a leaf that i like but it has serrated edges), with perhaps my initials or something on one side and the hallmark on the other?

Also, how big would it need to be as i dont want a tag that overpowers the jewellery? and how do you make sure the assay office knows where you want the mark?

Any suggestions would be gratefully received as i have a few pieces now that i would really like to get marked up with minimal chance of damage at the assay office.

geti-titanium
20-10-2009, 09:33 AM
Never heard of this - I would have thought the hallmark would only apply to the tag and not what it was attached to. I could be wrong I'm just a man :)

bustagasket
20-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Never heard of this - I would have thought the hallmark would only apply to the tag and not what it was attached to. I could be wrong I'm just a man :)

lol i was praying no -one would say that!!! #-o:'(:(|

Jayne
20-10-2009, 09:42 AM

If that's the case, why do Cookson et al sell 925 tags?
J x

geti-titanium
20-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Phew! Good job I put a disclaimer in - still seems wrong though :)

snow_imp
20-10-2009, 09:53 AM
Su, when I spoke to a really nice man at the Edinburgh assay office he said that using permanent marker to "mark" where you want the hallmark to be placed is really useful to them. Only if they cannot put the mark where you want it will they do something different - don't know how true that is given other members of the forum have said the mark sometimes ends up where they don't want it.

Also, I haven't actually sent any pieces for marking yet - waiting for my punch to be made now.

'cos I've been doing the chain maille items I've been wondering about using a tag too.

bustagasket
20-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks anne, i thought i had read somewhere about pen marks but i wasnt sure, long as i can get the marks off later lol

snow_imp
20-10-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks anne, i thought i had read somewhere about pen marks but i wasnt sure, long as i can get the marks off later lol

Oh yes, I asked about that too - sometimes they'll remove it when they clean the area to make the mark - otherwise nail varnish remover is good apparently!

bustagasket
20-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Oh yes, I asked about that too - sometimes they'll remove it when they clean the area to make the mark - otherwise nail varnish remover is good apparently!

Woo! thanks *adds to shopping list*

I really dont want just plain old tags tho, any ideas on making my own consistantly?

mizgeorge
20-10-2009, 10:28 AM
You can have a tag hallmarked, and yes, they sell tags specifically for this. I've always followed the guideline that the ring holding the tag must be closed (soldered). I find the whole process a bit wooly on some of this, my maille pieces (and many others) have no closed or soldered links at all, the same applies for a lot of wireworked items, which makes something of a mockery of hallmarking, as it would be incredibly easy to simply remove the tag and put it onto something else.

Su, I generally use round tags (because they're easy to punch out), but you could also use any blank - you can buy some pretty shapes now, including things like hearts and leaves.

bustagasket
20-10-2009, 10:34 AM
You can have a tag hallmarked, and yes, they sell tags specifically for this. I've always followed the guideline that the ring holding the tag must be closed (soldered). I find the whole process a bit wooly on some of this, my maille pieces (and many others) have no closed or soldered links at all, the same applies for a lot of wireworked items, which makes something of a mockery of hallmarking, as it would be incredibly easy to simply remove the tag and put it onto something else.

Su, I generally use round tags (because they're easy to punch out), but you could also use any blank - you can buy some pretty shapes now, including things like hearts and leaves.

I think i understand what you are saying Georde, but i was thinking of putting the tag at the clasp area, and, so far, i have always had a soldered link there, so do you think that would be ok there?

also if its a pendant, i am guessing both the pendant and the chain need seperate hallmarks? yes?

You can punch out the tags? is that on quite thin sheet? and how do i get strong punches? (sorry real noob questions but i dont wanna send stuff up and then have it returned not done correctly)

Solunar Silver Studio
20-10-2009, 10:43 AM
I have all my chains hallmarked on little heart shaped tags that I make from pmc with a little sun and moon symbol (but not quite the same as my printed logo...I'll have to save up to get a punch made of that!!)...which of course is fine as my chains are made of fine silver. I have never had any questions asked so I assume they assay both the tag and the chain to ascertain that they are both of the same metal quality. All my tags are attached by fused links and so are integral to the bracelet...I don't know what they would do with a tag that is just attached by an open jumpring...

I think you will have to make do with standard sterling manufactured tags for the time being....when you are rich and super successful you can afford to get your own sterling silver tag design manufactured for you!! Mind you - as the assay office will only put the metal quality stamp of the lowest quality of metal in a mixed metal piece I would guess that if you were to make your tags out of fine silver pmc like I do you could have your little leaf shape design and the Assay Office should mark it with a 925 stamp as the bracelet itself would be made of Sterling silver....You would have to check this with the Assay Office first...but I think I am right:o

When you write out a hall note (which is what you have to fill in with your batch for hallmarking) you can include a sheet with specific instructions for where you want to have your hallmarks put...so for example if you have created a pendant you can draw a sketch of it with the place for hallmarking indicated with an 'X marks the spot' or an arrow and you can also write - please hallmark on reverse of pendant, 1 cm from the bottom and centralised...or some such thing. Then if you also use the indispensible Sharpie marker to mark the exact spot on the item as well you should get it put exactly where you want it!!

mizgeorge
20-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Yep, you can put a tag wherever you want it. Near the clasp is an obvious point, and it needs to be kept lightweight so it won't drag the clasp away from the back of the neck (though of course the opposite is true for bracelets). In terms of attaching it, I solder the jump ring linking the tag itself to the ring it's going onto.

For pendants, I rarely find the chain needs hallmarking - obviously if it's over 7.78g then it does, but few pendant chains are.

I punch out my circles with a regular disc cutter and just make a hole near an edge. I don't mind the oval tags that can be bought from Cookson, but dislike the 'zip' style ones. I use 0.4mm sheet for mine. You need to make sure the tag is big enough to take your makers mark as well as the hallmark of course.

bustagasket
20-10-2009, 11:24 AM
I have all my chains hallmarked on little heart shaped tags that I make from pmc with a little sun and moon symbol (but not quite the same as my printed logo...I'll have to save up to get a punch made of that!!)...which of course is fine as my chains are made of fine silver. I have never had any questions asked so I assume they assay both the tag and the chain to ascertain that they are both of the same metal quality. All my tags are attached by fused links and so are integral to the bracelet...I don't know what they would do with a tag that is just attached by an open jumpring...

I think you will have to make do with standard sterling manufactured tags for the time being....when you are rich and super successful you can afford to get your own sterling silver tag design manufactured for you!! Mind you - as the assay office will only put the metal quality stamp of the lowest quality of metal in a mixed metal piece I would guess that if you were to make your tags out of fine silver pmc like I do you could have your little leaf shape design and the Assay Office should mark it with a 925 stamp as the bracelet itself would be made of Sterling silver....You would have to check this with the Assay Office first...but I think I am right:o

When you write out a hall note (which is what you have to fill in with your batch for hallmarking) you can include a sheet with specific instructions for where you want to have your hallmarks put...so for example if you have created a pendant you can draw a sketch of it with the place for hallmarking indicated with an 'X marks the spot' or an arrow and you can also write - please hallmark on reverse of pendant, 1 cm from the bottom and centralised...or some such thing. Then if you also use the indispensible Sharpie marker to mark the exact spot on the item as well you should get it put exactly where you want it!!

Thanks B lots of good stuff in there :D

Yep, you can put a tag wherever you want it. Near the clasp is an obvious point, and it needs to be kept lightweight so it won't drag the clasp away from the back of the neck (though of course the opposite is true for bracelets). In terms of attaching it, I solder the jump ring linking the tag itself to the ring it's going onto.

For pendants, I rarely find the chain needs hallmarking - obviously if it's over 7.78g then it does, but few pendant chains are.

I punch out my circles with a regular disc cutter and just make a hole near an edge. I don't mind the oval tags that can be bought from Cookson, but dislike the 'zip' style ones. I use 0.4mm sheet for mine. You need to make sure the tag is big enough to take your makers mark as well as the hallmark of course.

Thanks George (spelt it right this time) sorry to ask even more, but just how much room does the hallmarking and makers mark take up?

I may have to try and find those leaves that were mentioned for the time being :(

mizgeorge
20-10-2009, 12:20 PM
It depends on the size and style of your mark, and also which size punch you have, but the minimum's about 6mm - which can be spread over two lines (I think!).

If you're only having a few pieces done, why not make your own tags - you're good with a saw and you'd probably be much happier with the end result.

bustagasket
20-10-2009, 12:25 PM
I did want to do my own tags which is why i asked about the best way to do them, but i thought they should all be identical, but i suppose in reality, it doesnt matter if they are or not, as they are then as handcrafted as the item of jewellery they are attached to, and as long as i can find a way of putting a monogram on them or something it wont matter? Are there places that dont charge extortionate amounts of money to make monogram punches that would do what i am looking for?

The Old Bat
20-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Hi

When I was asking in the Edinburgh Assay office re tags - they were really helpful. It was suggested to me that they be around 1mm thick. A more delicate piece might be damaged by the hallmark being applied. the way to avoid this is to have the hallmark added by laser - more costly but am not sure exactly how much.

I currenty used bought tags for appliying hallmark to. But am now looking at having a sterling silver tag made for me. You only need 1 original. This can be then sent to the assay office, who will laser onto it any logo/initials you want. This cost, I think is around £50. Once the logo has been added - this can be sent away for casting in whatever precious metal you want it casting in. There are several companies 'down South'. I've spoken with 3 of them, but as I'm at work I dont have their names with me at present. A mould is made of the original tag - some of the companies supply the tags finished, others you need to finish yourself, ie where the sprue has been removed. That way all the tags are identical.

Bev

bustagasket
20-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Hi

When I was asking in the Edinburgh Assay office re tags - they were really helpful. It was suggested to me that they be around 1mm thick. A more delicate piece might be damaged by the hallmark being applied. the way to avoid this is to have the hallmark added by laser - more costly but am not sure exactly how much.

I currenty used bought tags for appliying hallmark to. But am now looking at having a sterling silver tag made for me. You only need 1 original. This can be then sent to the assay office, who will laser onto it any logo/initials you want. This cost, I think is around £50. Once the logo has been added - this can be sent away for casting in whatever precious metal you want it casting in. There are several companies 'down South'. I've spoken with 3 of them, but as I'm at work I dont have their names with me at present. A mould is made of the original tag - some of the companies supply the tags finished, others you need to finish yourself, ie where the sprue has been removed. That way all the tags are identical.

Bev

ooo interesting!! ty hun :D

mizgeorge
20-10-2009, 01:41 PM
You can have any part you want hallmarked, it certainly doesn't need to be standard, and doesn't need to be the same on every piece If you want monogrammed tags, I'd be wary of punching them - you'd then have punches used on both sides of the tag, and I think they could thin the metal too much, and potentially distort.

However, you could get tags made up somewhere like:

Jewellery Tags : Perfect Presents, Engraved Gifts and Jewellery (http://www.perfect-presents.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=26)

I think Nic might have the same bit of kit used for these if she hasn't already sold it.

That said, I only monogram (using letter punches) pieces that don't need hallmarking, as those that do will have my makers mark on anyway.

If you want to have your own punch, you can have the assay office make an extra one and return it to you - they're £60 (don't know if there's a student discount on these too).

bustagasket
20-10-2009, 01:45 PM
You can have any part you want hallmarked, it certainly doesn't need to be standard, and doesn't need to be the same on every piece If you want monogrammed tags, I'd be wary of punching them - you'd then have punches used on both sides of the tag, and I think they could thin the metal too much, and potentially distort.

However, you could get tags made up somewhere like:

Jewellery Tags : Perfect Presents, Engraved Gifts and Jewellery (http://www.perfect-presents.co.uk/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=26)

I think Nic might have the same bit of kit used for these if she hasn't already sold it.

That said, I only monogram (using letter punches) pieces that don't need hallmarking, as those that do will have my makers mark on anyway.

If you want to have your own punch, you can have the assay office make an extra one and return it to you - they're £60 (don't know if there's a student discount on these too).

thanks for that George, yes i did wonder about the indents on both sides, really want to make sure i have thought all this out properly before getting anything, so all this is really helpful :D

ben b
20-10-2009, 06:52 PM
If you wanted to be origional, and look 'branded' you could design a shape based on a hallmark tag, and have a die cutter make you a stamp, for about £100, but this could incorperate the ring hole or holes, as well as logo.
To get a clean cut on something so small you then have a stamper do a small run for you, out of silver strip or sheet, but about 1mm thick minimum.

(your logo should be sunk in, not raised, and simple and bold, as the tag will be hit from the other side during assay)

its not cheap, but will be very exclusive and totally proffessional.

You can just solder it dangling, it doesnt have to be conected in line or anything, just on the item.

there is a box on each assay form for simple instructions, such as 'mark on tag' ....and do em a simple diagram...... as they sub out the actual marking, so is often indian child workers doing the marking.....na only kidding! had you going though......

bustagasket
20-10-2009, 06:56 PM
If you wanted to be origional, and look 'branded' you could design a shape based on a hallmark tag, and have a die cutter make you a stamp, for about £100, but this could incorperate the ring hole or holes, as well as logo.
To get a clean cut on something so small you then have a stamper do a small run for you, out of silver strip or sheet, but about 1mm thick minimum.

(your logo should be sunk in, not raised, and simple and bold, as the tag will be hit from the other side during assay)

its not cheap, but will be very exclusive and totally proffessional.

You can just solder it dangling, it doesnt have to be conected in line or anything, just on the item.

there is a box on each assay form for simple instructions, such as 'mark on tag' and do em a simple diagram.

I would adore that

glen
22-10-2009, 06:39 PM
hallmarks arent always punched into something and dont have to neccessarily be normal size. On delicate pieces a hallmark can be lasered in. hallmarks can be punched into a closed jumpring too.

Jayne
22-10-2009, 08:12 PM
on a slightly sideways note......I've been making tags out of pmc lately(seems like the best way to get a nice tag without a bank loan) which has been going okay and I'm pretty pleased with the results, but I'm only managing to get detail on one side. Is it feasible to make ones with pattern/writing on both?:confused:
J x