PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Staffordshire

gill55
19-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Hi

I've done a bit of beading but was really interested in Silversmithing/jewellery making. I finally enrolled at my local evening class and after 2 sessions was informed that they were closing it down until the new year as some of the equipment was not working. So I'm left high and dry now (until the new year) and wanting to make a start - does anyone know of any online workshops for beginners that I could try?

Thanks

Gill

AlexandraBuckle
19-10-2009, 03:29 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum Gill :~:

Don't know of any online workshops I'm afraid... Hope someone else can help.

Btw, I went to Staffordshire Uni :)

Lisa Quinn
19-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Hi Gill,

Sorry I don't know of any online courses but there are a number of You Tube videos that are quite informative.

Failing that you might want to try a weekend course?

Lisa x

Solunar Silver Studio
19-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Hi Gill...how upsetting for you to be left high and dry like that!! I think YouTube is a great resource but I think most of us have taught ourselves lots of stuff from books. We did have a thread going about what is on our jewellery book shelves - and there are quite a lot recommended that serve well as reference books for life too... here is the link to the thread... http://www.cooksongold.com/forum/jewellers-bench-workshop-gallery/149-what-your-jewellery-bookshelf.html.... Now you KNOW what you want for Christmas!!:Y:

And I think that practically every question that has ever been asked on this forum has had some sort of answer...so never be afraid of asking!!

lorraineflee
19-10-2009, 04:19 PM
Hi Gill
The other online place to look is Ganoskin, loads of articles, videos etc. there. Plus, of course, all the helpful folks on here!

Lorraine

snow_imp
19-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Hi Gill

Sorry to hear your course got cancelled like that - it can't be fun. I hope you find inspiration on the forum - can be difficult not too I find.

Jayne
19-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Hi Gill & welcome :~:
I'd recommend the library & youtube - know how you feel about wanting to learn something & not being about to :confused:
J x

bustagasket
19-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Hi welcome to the forumd Gill, so sory that you have been let down, hope the suggestions here have been of some help to u

Petal
19-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Hi

I've done a bit of beading but was really interested in Silversmithing/jewellery making. I finally enrolled at my local evening class and after 2 sessions was informed that they were closing it down until the new year as some of the equipment was not working. So I'm left high and dry now (until the new year) and wanting to make a start - does anyone know of any online workshops for beginners that I could try?

Thanks

Gill

Hi Gill and Welcome to the forum from another Staffie! What a shame about your course being cancelled. I too am a fellow beader and convert to all things silver and can't wait to get going too. I practice with copper and have found it very useful and am told that it reacts in very much the same way as sterling silver does, plus its cheaper.

As all the others have said, try books and also YouTube too. The other place I'd try is your local library - try before you buy!

We all look forward to hearing more from you.

xx

Di Sandland
19-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Gill just by hanging around this forum you'll learn lots. Lots of us are self taught and we've learned lots more here than we ever thought possible. Ask away - no question is too silly and there is always somebody with an answer.

The other thing is on here you will learn why things are done in a certain way and not just do it because you're told to. The members range from real beginners to professional jewellers.

MuranoSilver
19-10-2009, 06:03 PM
:welcome: to the forum Gill
Sorry to hear your first experiences were being let down by the evening class folks.
Hopefully the friendly bunch on here will have you feeling in the thick of things again soon :D
Nic x

Mystic
19-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Hi Gill, and may I add my welcome to you in this lovely forum. I would say from a very personal experience, that I have found youtube very helpful indeed and I go on there most evenings and try some other technique I want to try, and I use copper wire to try it out:) so don't get downhearted, coz we won't let you:Y:

Gemma
19-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Hello Gill. I'm a beader too and interested in silversmithing too. Shame about your course but at least they haven't cancelled it completely. Just think you can do loads of research and designing.

Emerald
19-10-2009, 10:06 PM
Hi Gill welcome to the forum :~:

Ominicci
20-10-2009, 10:15 AM
Hi from me too Gill :~:

I like BenchTube, on Ganoksin too.