19-07-2009, 10:54 AM
I've been asked a few questions on PMC mainly during my courses,
for beginners the most confusing thing is "What tools do I need"
so here are a few suggestions.

PMC Suggested TOOLS - minimum needs, in order of use
A roller - used for rolling out the clay
A rolling surface - Non-stick as possible e.g. a glass board or polished tile
Spacers or playing cards - for getting the depth of the clay even
Cutting blade, scalpel - For getting straight edges and making your shapes.
A small lidded pot - to put filings & tiny offcuts into so you can save them for making silver clay paste or slip
Various grades of sanding pads - or get a 4 way nail filing block and strip the sides off.

FIRING METHODS -
For Hob firing, stainless steel mesh with protection net.
Torch firing - Handheld torch and a firing brick (asbestos substitute not a household brick )
Kiln - If you can get access to a kiln then use it, the metal is normally denser and the results more consistant.
Stainless steel or brass brush - for brushing off the white post firing and leaving you lovely silver.
Silver polish & Cloth - for getting the final buffed up shine.

Some Optional Extras:
For ring making - A sliding ring guage, A wooden ring mandrel, and ring papers (to stop clay sticking to the mandrel).
For Better finishes - A small set of metal files for neatening edges quicker than sanding them down.
Long Tweezers - For holding / moving the pieces when firing
Liver of Sulpher - For antiquing or bringing out fine detail
Burnishers & ultra fine sanding pads - Post firing for a REAL shine!
Cutters & Shapers - Using pre-shaped cutters e.g. hearts will same time and give you more consistant shapes
Tiny drill bits - you can twist them in your fingers to drill through the unfired clay & make jump ring holes & hanging points.
Texture Mats/plates - Roll the clay out on these and you'll have fabulous patterns straight away!
Letter Stamp Set - For stamping words into unfired (rubber stamps) or fired clay (metal stamps).

Feel free to add any suggestions & comments (I'll add them to the list) :D
Nic xx

Pandanimal
26-08-2009, 09:03 PM
I have been reading my borrowed book and other websites and they all mention something called badgers balm for stopping the stuff sticking to the tools. You don't mention it in your list. is it nessasery? will anything else work as well?
I was thinking olive oil? or hand cream?
I'm guessing the answer will be "argghhhh! not oil or hand cream, throw that woman off the forum!"

I'll just sit here quietly for a bit.

MuranoSilver
26-08-2009, 09:08 PM
It depends on how dry your hands are. I never use the stuff others apply it religiously (praying their piece will go right ;))
If you do choose to use it then dont' dollop it on, use it sparingly. Otherwise it starts to coat your clay and as you re-roll it in use you can get a Filo Pastry effect (i.e you clay starts not sticking to itself and builds up layers that you have to work hard to get back together)

nic x

Pandanimal
26-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Wow that was quick!
so the stuff isnt all that sticky then?
I'm used to working with fimo type clay. how is it in comparison with that?
More or less sticky?
I'm still trying to get up the courage to open the packet and the kids will be going back to school soon. yippee!

MuranoSilver
26-08-2009, 09:54 PM
I tell my students to think of it like pastry....if it's at the right consistency
it's not sticky at all. If you add a bit too much water though...urrrgh
and if it gets too dry then it cracks.

If you're a polymer clay gal then it's closest in workability to fimo soft.

bustagasket
27-08-2009, 06:02 AM
Time until Sunday, 27 September 2009, 10:00:00 (London time)
31 days
746 hours
44817 minutes
2689045 seconds

Alternative version
It is 31 days, 2 hours, 57 minutes and 25 seconds until Sunday, 27 September 2009, 10:00:00 (London time)

Current time is
2009-08-27 07:02:35 BST(local time in London

Its getting closerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

MuranoSilver
27-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Lol - I'm so glad you're looking forward to your course! :)

bustagasket
27-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Lol - I'm so glad you're looking forward to your course! :)

Now what on earth would give you that idea?

moodlemoo
15-01-2011, 07:18 PM
hi
i'm quite new to using pmc but i am quite expreienced at silver smithing and just wondered whether it was worth purchasing brass texture plates for pmc, or whether i could make my own using textured hammers and the rolling mill?
thanks

mizgeorge
15-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Brass isn't ideal for metal clays (or any clay for that matter) as it requires the clay to be bent rather than the plate. Silicone or rubber (think stamps) work better IMO.