PDA

View Full Version : Marketing...What do YOU pay for jewellery?

ben b
18-10-2009, 09:46 PM
just as a quick poll, to help with peoples marketing.....

(even though 'we' are in the trade, im sure we all buy 'produced' pieces, from friends or otherwise...)
Forum guests are especially invited to answer!

So what was the last pice of jewellery YOU purchased, and how much did you pay?

(any jewellery counts, costume, real, special occaision etc)

Emerald
18-10-2009, 09:51 PM
I bought my Friend a house charm for her pandora bracelet when she moved house recently £20.00

ben b
18-10-2009, 09:54 PM
mine, was about 5 years ago, and a gold coloured titanium eyebrow ring from a tatoo shop in devon area. £8 i think.
I was on holiday, and hadnt seen the gold effect titanium before....impulse purchase. (havent got any tatoo's just saw it in window)

geti-titanium
18-10-2009, 10:05 PM
I don't really have any jewellery - I have a Gucci watch that cost about £600 14 years ago and I wear a pair of Titanium/red gold/diamond cufflinks at work which were made by a competitor and that's it.

Petal
18-10-2009, 11:18 PM
I bought a sterling silver & murano glass necklace about 6 years ago for about £40 from a Designers Guild designer/jeweller at Denbies vineyard in Dorking. That's about it.

MuranoSilver
18-10-2009, 11:44 PM
The last thing I purchased from someone else was a watch.
I often buy handmade cards, glass work and paintings but it's very rare I buy jewellery.
(mainly because I like to self advertise by wearing my own stuff)

It cost me $245 + shipping and import duty, it was worth every penny
The maker was a gent called Allan Mason he sells mainly at shows but also has an etsy shop.
You can even see what I purchased here (http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=18180368)
Nice isn't it!
nic xx

Solunar Silver Studio
19-10-2009, 07:11 AM
The last thing I purchased from someone else was a watch.
I often buy handmade cards, glass work and paintings but it's very rare I buy jewellery.
(mainly because I like to self advertise by wearing my own stuff)

It cost me $245 + shipping and import duty, it was worth every penny
The maker was a gent called Allan Mason he sells mainly at shows but also has an etsy shop.
You can even see what I purchased here (http://www.etsy.com/view_transaction.php?transaction_id=18180368)
Nice isn't it!
nic xx

That is just lovely!! Probably the only bit of oxidised silver that I have seen recently that really seems to work!! I can see why he sells a lot of stuff to men...brilliant sculptural work!

I never really wear any jewellery that is not my own now...my favourite purchased and inherited pieces having been stolen when we were burgled about 15 years ago.:'(

I did buy a gold and amethyst charm which I wore as a pendant for a few years which was an abstract design but vaguely 'B' shaped. I got that for £8 from a 'pawn shop'! At least when you buy stuff that has had a previous owner you know it won't fall apart the first time you wear it!:Y:

AlexandraBuckle
19-10-2009, 08:18 AM
Ooh, I just wrote this somewhere else...
We got me a sapphire pendant from the Gem Factory in Bangkok - i think it worked out around £85. I've always wanted a Sapphire cos I love the colour and we were on our honeymoon and it was September (sapphire is the colour for September) so it all seemed right.
I'm still wearing it actually - i need to get a white gold chain for it though as its on a sterling one at the mo...(i was going to ask about that i another thread...)

before that we got our wedding rings! and before that I bought a murano glass bracelet for £12 - which is my normal spend for jewellery!

Lisa Quinn
19-10-2009, 12:11 PM
I generally don't buy any jewellery for myself, however, I did buy a diamante choker a couple of years ago to jazz up a black dress for a black tie event which cost me about £20 on the high street.

My biggest spend is for my five year old daughter who is jewellery mad and adores "Claires" ( oh the shame !!).

bustagasket
19-10-2009, 12:18 PM
The last thing i bought was from Liz Art Designs, and it was yet another pair of earrings. Sadly Liz passed away at the beginning of the year, and her husband is valiently trying to continue her work, using the designs she left behind. A fantastic couple, and so i will continue to buy from him twice a year when i go to the bike rally, in Liz's memory. I paid £25 for one pair, and £8 for the other.

Di Sandland
19-10-2009, 12:22 PM
I don't remember buying myself any jewellery for years although I did drop very unsubtle hints about a M Frey Willie (http://en.frey-wille.com/#Jewellery/ContemporaryArt) bangle I saw in the Sunday Times colour supplement some years ago. A Manhattan bangle duly appeared in my Christmas stocking and I adore it. I have no idea of the cost but I think it was expensive.

snow_imp
19-10-2009, 05:07 PM
The last jewellery thing I bought was a bit of costume jewellery from BHS of all places - bought before I started learning how to make my own.

The most expensive item I bought - a gold chain and cartouche when I was in Egypt years ago - it turns out that it really is 18ct gold!!

fiona davies
19-10-2009, 06:17 PM
went to a craft fair and bought a lovely beaded bracelet with 'tiffany beads' never heard of them but beautiful and opaic.

Lindyloo
19-10-2009, 09:41 PM
went to a craft fair and bought a lovely beaded bracelet with 'tiffany beads' never heard of them but beautiful and opaic.

You forgot to say how much you paid.

Reading through this thread, I am really surprised how little people spend on jewellery. Why is that? Is it because you can make the more expensive stuff yourselves? Or is it that we are all used to cheaper jewellery in the stores?

I myself will pay varying costs depending on the piece. I spent £350 on my tissot watch (don't tell my husband), which I adore, and expect that to last me very many years. I convinced my husband to buy me a gold ring on holiday once, costing £200 (also one of my favourites). But at the same time, I am happy to pay £10 for a piece of costume jewellery if it takes my fancy. But that is rare. My cheapest piece ever was a lovely string of chunky beads at £6. More commonly, I am more likely to pay around £40-£60 for a nice piece of silver jewellery. But if I absolutely loved it, then I would happily pay up to £100 on a whim.

katrina alexander
19-10-2009, 10:23 PM
£130 for a designer made ring from the gorgeous Electgrum Gallery on South Molton Street - it makes me smile every time I wear it (which is lucky!) - it is lime green - apparently plant resin (?) in a domed oval with a silver shape in the middle of it. If I don't make things myself then yes I do tend to only buy expensive and unusual jewellery from designers where possible but it is few and far between.

Kalorlo
20-10-2009, 09:06 AM
Linda: I don't think I'd pay much more than £60-£100 for a piece of jewellery (and I don't currently own any artisan jewellery). There are various reasons:
- I haven't really bought any at all now I can make my own.
- Think of the amount of jewellery supplies I could buy for £350! I'd much rather have those, or tools, or techy gadgets for that amount of money.
- I don't really wear the things that people typically pay a lot for. I don't wear a watch, or rings, and I don't much like gold and don't care about owning diamonds or the other expensive precious stones. I like silver and semi-precious and glass, and not too large or ornate.
- I haven't come across anything I loved so much I just had to have, no matter the price.

As time goes on, maybe? But not right now.

bustagasket
20-10-2009, 09:17 AM
My Liz Art stuff was the last thing that i bought, as i said, but i have some much more expensive stuff, including a gold dragon that hangs around my ear, that was about £400

mizgeorge
20-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Di, I momentarily had this vision of a killer whale wrapped around your wrist.....

Jayne
20-10-2009, 09:45 AM
LOL!!
(careful George.....this thread could turn tricky ;) )
J x

Ominicci
20-10-2009, 10:33 AM
The last thing I bought was this Ring (http://www.flickr.com/photos/25259607@N06/3884673968/in/photostream/) from a Flickr contact. About £70 after conversion from US$ and postage. And he sent me this ring (http://www.flickr.com/photos/25259607@N06/3895918221/in/photostream/) free with it.

I tend to buy mostly rings for myself because I don't think it is something I have mastered at all well yet.

kymbi
20-10-2009, 10:53 AM
ooh, that was very nice of him Nicci :Y:

I love the black opal in the ring you bought, it looks like it's got some great irridescence in it and an unusual shape :D

I don't buy too much jewellery nowadays, and then it's often used and bought from fellow traders on my markets (+ trader discount ;)) - the last purchase was a second-hand silver band with brass accenting and small flush-set amethysts and garnets for £7 (bargain!). The last piece of new jewellery was from a little artisan shop in South Beach ~ a pair of assymetrical earrings in silver with copper riveting, like watch components, with the artists signature on the back, about £50 sterling. Shame I lost one of them on the plane journey back :'(

Ominicci
20-10-2009, 11:01 AM
Kym, he cut all his own stones/cabs as well so he can do any shape, now that is truly handmade!

Di Sandland
20-10-2009, 01:04 PM
di, i momentarily had this vision of a killer whale wrapped around your wrist.....

pmsl...........

amazingbabe
20-10-2009, 01:12 PM
I wear all my own jewellery and generate lots of sales from doing this :Y:

MuranoSilver
20-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Love the ring Ominicci and how lovely of him to send a bonus ring too :)

Coco
21-10-2009, 05:50 PM
The most I've ever spent on a piece of jewellery was £650 a few years ago. Much to the disapproval of my sister :-D I used to buy from ebay a lot too, but being poor now, not so much, and I have to admit, I'm a complete sucker for Accessorize earrings :rolleyes:

Pandanimal
25-10-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't often buy jewellery as like most of you I prefer to wear my own work.
For Christmas last year my husband bought me one of these
Buffy Forgham | Somerset Art Works (http://www.somersetartworks.org.uk/node/4542)
I think it cost about £50. I also know Buffy doesn't make many of them any more so it is all the more precious to me.

shelliem
25-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi

I can't yet make my own jewellery so maybe I can add to this.

I last bought a silver and rosewood bracelet for around £60 and pendants (without the chains) for around £30. Rings I'd pay up to about £30, same for ear-rings - I think, but if I loved it and I kept thinking about it then I'd probably talk myself into paying more! and I'm somebody who doesn't wear jewellery that often - I just appreciate the craft . I don't really appreciate costume jewellery and don't tend to buy that.

My friend wears silver jewellery all of the time and probably would spend a little bit more than me per item, however another wouldnt spend a penny!

EmmaRose
28-10-2009, 03:12 PM
A glass necklace from Budapest approx £40, on multi strand gold and pale pink necklace, and an enamelled piece approx £30 for my Mum for Xmas, also from Budapest. I really appreciate other people's work because of making it myself. My pride and joy is one of Carol Mather's bunny necklaces, cost £125 (now they go for £250)and my engagement ring (don't know how much it cost except 4 figures).
Em

Jemart
13-03-2010, 11:34 AM
My most recent purchase was an antique silver cross pendant, it was £30.
I rarely buy brand new pieces of jewellery.

palace
13-03-2010, 12:50 PM
A sterling silver ring, made by an acquaintance (and purchased before I begun to learn how to make jewellery myself), which I love and wear every day. It cost about £30, I think (price was in US$).

I am prepared, of course, to pay more for handmade stuff, and I make stuff myself obviously (both fine [edit: fine as in, made of fine materials; I'm not sure the quality of my work is up to much yet!] jewellery and bead-on-string type stuff), but I do have some cheap stuff from the high street, too. I'm trying to cut out/ cut down that type of consumption, though.

Silver_Witch
05-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Kym, he cut all his own stones/cabs as well so he can do any shape, now that is truly handmade!

that man makes BEAutiful jewellery I just realised i have seen his day of the dead rings before and favoured them! but hadnt seen his other stuff i really want the day of the dead ring now!! ur piece of jewellery is scrumptious and well worth every penny,

the most ive spent on a piece of jewellery is 80 pounds for a druzy amythest chunky necklace. i wanted it so much and my mum bought it for me so technically i never paid for it:)
also a 40 pound charm bracelet which is made from vintage charms but is costume jewellery.
I would possibly pay around 100 pounds for something if i really want it.
I always think carefully about how much i want it and how easy it would be to get something similar for cheaper. Id rather buy handmade then go to a shop and buy it though, i love truly unique pieces that noone else has.
i just spent 10 pounds on a single gemstone necklace at a craft fair. although she had not cut the gem herself, i got speaking to the person who made it i bought it, it was very much worth the 10 pounds as the gem would have cost her 10 pounds to buy alone and then it was wire wrapped in silver so a bargin. usually i buy stuff at carboot sales as well, i like old gems, and handmade silver items from the 70;s im not a gold person i always wear silver.
so yeah about 100 pounds is the limit on my jewellery items,

Amy_FJFW
08-06-2010, 01:50 PM
The last thing I bought was a Jackie Brazil Indiana Jones blue bracelet, which is made from chunky resin beads. I paid about £18 for it, (cant quite remember, got some staff discount!) but I currently have my eyes on a much more expensive piece that rrps at £175, another bracelet this time made from silver with lots of different gems in it.