PDA

View Full Version : The torch - yet again

bustagasket
17-10-2009, 02:36 PM
I would really like to know why i cannot fill my torch properly, i have had this problem since the day i got it, my husband managed to get a bit in it and i have managed it once, certainly not filled it tho. I have been trying for the last hour to get some gas in it , and now my son is attempting it. I have tried being gentle, hard, having no hissing having heaps of hissing, i am covered in boody lighter fluid and all i have is just too links left to solder.

To say this torch gives me stress is an understatement, my head is about to burst, my arms are about to fall off and anything that moves gets it in the neck, so this is not a house anyone wants to be in atm including me.

THERE MUST BE AN EASIER WAY:confused::(|:'(

mizgeorge
17-10-2009, 02:50 PM
It sounds to me like perhaps you haven't got the right nozzle on the fuel can. It should fill pretty instantaneously - all mine certainly do. If you're getting fluid, it's either full, or not engaging properly into the filling mechanism.

Have you tried using any of the other nozzles - one of my torches does need an adapter.

Di Sandland
17-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Su - is it the little Cookson's torch? If it is then I think it may be faulty - I have one and it fills in a nano-second. Without using an adapter, by the way.

As you've had probs from day one, I do wonder if its faulty.

bustagasket
17-10-2009, 03:11 PM
i have tried it with nozzles, without nozzles, you name it i have tried it, i think kit managed to get a bit in without the nozzle.

Sorry i have got so het up with it. I will keep persvereing

mizgeorge
17-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Di's right. You really shouldn't be having that much trouble. I'd get them to replace it - it's not a piece of kit you want to be taking chances with.

Solunar Silver Studio
17-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Before you go to the hassle of trying to replace the torch...nip down to the corner shop and pick up a new can of lighter fluid. I have had one which from the day I bought it I couldn't get it to fill my torches....but I had had the benfit of knowing that I can do it with other cans. So I bought another one and was perfectly OK for filling again. If this is the only can of fluid you have tried - go get another!!:)

Boo
17-10-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm with the others on this, mine doesn't make any sound and fills fully in a few seconds - and doesn't need much pressure - if you get it on sweetly, you can hold it with one hand. You feel the body go cold under your hand as the gas fills it and as soon as you get any hissing, it's because it's overflowing and therefore full.

I too had one cannister that wouldn't fill it without leaking over my hands - I tried every nozzle in the lid. I just stopped using it - all others have been fine. So far, I've found that the default nozzle has worked with all brands.

I did well when away on holiday - a market stall that sells reading glasses and smoking paraphernalia etc. had some Ronson cans with 50% extra free at £1 each - Tesco will only sell you one at a time of the tiny cans at something like £1.85 each. I only had £3 on me at the time, so had 3 and asked if it was okay to buy that many and she said if I'd been 18 she wouldn't, but she didn't think I'd be up to mischief with it. Made the blokes within earshot turn and look sharply when I said it was for my blowtorch.

Ominicci
17-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Mine fills up without the additional nozzle from cans bought at a market stall too, and have also used Swan and Ronson canisters. (You are using the pressurised canisters Su ?.... Just thought I'd ask..... :D)

bustagasket
17-10-2009, 04:35 PM
got three cans i try and yes lol they are the right ones nic lol. i just dont have the knack - nor soes anyone in this hous. i dread soldering when it gets low cos i dont know how long it will be before we can fill it again

Ominicci
17-10-2009, 04:40 PM
And are you holding the torch upside down so that the gas cannister is upside down too.......... :D

Boo
17-10-2009, 04:41 PM
It really does sound like there might be something wrong with it, if you've tried more than one can.

Please, please don't take chances with it - that was how I lost my eyebrows, eyelashes and the front inch of my hair - a failed O ring in one torch failed, leaked gas and as I moved the flame, moved it into the cloud of gas that had accumulated around it and the entire incident lasted about half a second and some of my hair still hasn't grown back, a year on.

And please don't try lighting it in the same place you've been buggering about with the gas. I always fill mine at least in a different room (preferably outside) and come back to my work area and let it settle before using it.

bustagasket
17-10-2009, 04:43 PM
very good advice about the refilling, thanks boo :D

lorraineflee
17-10-2009, 04:45 PM
You are definitely holding the torch upside down and filling down into the torch aren't you - friend of mine was trying to fill hers by pushing down on the can and it doesn't work that way! (Sorry if that sounds a bit patronising - wasn't meant to!)

Lorraine

bustagasket
17-10-2009, 04:54 PM
lol not patronising hun, but yes it is upside down :)

Solunar Silver Studio
17-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Okay...next suggestion... Nip down to the shops and pick up a creme brulee torch from the kitchen section. I didn't buy either of mine as jeweller's torches...my favourite one (because it is made to opperate totally one handed) was by Tala (the one that is in this picture

http://www.george-east.com/GEH/images/images_0206/6800.jpg with microtorch GS on it) came from TK Max at £7.99 and my backup torch I got as an unused Christmas Gift (still boxed) in a car boot sale - complete with 2 ramekin dishes and a pot of demerara sugar - for 2 quid!

Getting one from the local supermarket or whatever means you will have a back up torch for very little outlay and you may well find it works better than the one you have...and you will not be without a torch when you send your one back as defective...not that any of this will help you get your last 2 jumprings soldered.....:N:

Boo
17-10-2009, 05:16 PM
Aldi had a nice looking one in recently, I think they were £13.99 - a bit more than the TK Max one, but still much less than the jewellers' ones. I was going to get one as a second, but haven't been able to justify the funds recently.

bustagasket
17-10-2009, 05:17 PM
i think i will have to do something or i will have no hair left from pulling it out lol. Kit managed to finally get some in it for me to do the last two joints so as least thats done. That reminds me must go and get them out of the pickle :P Thanks B :D

caroleallen
17-10-2009, 06:11 PM
I've got 2 little torches and they both fill really easily. I don't even have to turn them upside down either. I'm sure yours must be faulty Su.

bustagasket
17-10-2009, 06:22 PM
I am beginning to think that its me thats faulty :(

Lisa Quinn
17-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Hi Su,

Which Cooksons torch is it? I bought the new larger max flame one from Cooksons the other week and had the same problem when I tried to refill it, however I have found thatyou have to refill it slightly differently to the the micro torch in that you need to use short pumping bursts and shake the torch every so often to enable you to fill it completely. Good luck x

bustagasket
17-10-2009, 09:05 PM
its the £19.99 one hun. i will try pumping shots :)

bustagasket
30-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Well i have avoided updating this as i wanted to ok it with cookies first, but i just want to give them a huge hug, cos the day after i posted this, i received a phone call from the lovely Rob, and i was immediately offered a replacement torch which arrived the day after and which fills up with no problem at all, it has made life so much easier lol.

I am absolutely thrilled to bits, THATS what i call customer service and i just cannot thank you guys enough for sorting this straight out for me. I am such a happy bunny and cant wait to do todays order so that i can make some more shiies :D[[]]

Di Sandland
30-10-2009, 10:14 AM
They're not a bad company at all, Su, are they. In fact I think we can award them :Y::Y::Y::Y: