PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Saphire Blue

Emerald
17-10-2009, 09:22 AM
I bought all these and they landed in the same week so i did this the Storm Bead is by Clare Scott and Samplers and Discs by our own lovely Becky linked with sterling silver and PMC charms

mizgeorge
17-10-2009, 09:28 AM
That's lovely Jo. I think I'd call it navy rather than sapphire, but it's a great combo either way! Specially like those discs - great UFO shape :)

Di Sandland
17-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Stunning work again, Jo. (grrrr) :):Y:

bustagasket
17-10-2009, 10:05 AM
i just love all these bracelets :D

The Dragon
17-10-2009, 12:48 PM
Beautiful - I love anything in blue. :Y:

You're certainly inspiring me to think about bracelets Jo, I love that we have such wonderfully talented people who are happy to share their work. It makes me feel all warm and happy (I need it today I'm absolutley freezing).[[]]

Emerald
17-10-2009, 12:56 PM
thanks you all, i am on a one way track at the moment Annie all i seem able to do is make bracelets lol

I dont think Navy has quite the right ring to it really George and if you put the blue up against the light it is very much sapphire although Becky called the Samplers steel so i presume thats the colour of glass she used.

Di Sandland
17-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Cobalt? Prussian? Take your pick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_blue)! (I do like to get things right ;))

lesley
17-10-2009, 01:29 PM
Cobalt? Prussian? Take your pick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_blue)! (I do like to get things right ;))

Blimey, Di, you do don't you. :D
Personally, I think it's more Yale Blue. Intrigued to know where Dodger Blue came from.

mizgeorge
17-10-2009, 01:37 PM
My front door's Yale blue (and has been for a whole week)!

Funnily enough, that definition of sapphire is much darker than I'd have said. Maybe I've only ever had cheap sapphires!

Emerald
17-10-2009, 01:43 PM

well i have just held it up against the computer screen and it seems to be a mix it looks like prussian but that was to dark the closest was deffinately Sapphire xx

Di Sandland
Intrigued to know where Dodger Blue came from.

Duh! That'll be the Dodgers (http://dodgers.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=la), won't it ;)

lesley
Don't know where I heard this but Sapphires can be any colour except red......even colourless.
Prefer the darker blues myself.

lesley
17-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Oh yes, of course, Di. #-o
I was thinking of naughty boys or the jammy variety.

Di Sandland
17-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Well, we know from JJ that they can be pink. I prefer the darker blues too. My first engagement ring, back in the late 60's was a beautiful dark blue sapphire. I sold it :(

Solunar Silver Studio
17-10-2009, 04:36 PM
I can remember doing research years back and discovering from an old National Geographic magazine (October 1991) that rubies and sapphires are the same and it is only the other trace elements in them that make different colours. This article has the same sort of information...very interesting!!....:agree: :D
Sapphire Mining in Philipsburg Montana between Yellowstone National Park and Glacier National Park (http://www.philipsburgmt.com/mining)

Chameleon
17-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Lovely bracelet Jo, I love all the beads combined together (Im very very boring and never mix sets :( ) and all the shiney silver is fab.

The link to the colour chart is very interesting, I think i would describe the glass colour as slightly more purpley than the sapphire but that is the nearest for me :)

Thanks Solunar, I will have to read those articles, I have a small teardrop stone which i was sold as a pink sapphire would be nice to know more about it.

Emerald
17-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Lovely bracelet Jo, I love all the beads combined together (Im very very boring and never mix sets :( ) and all the shiney silver is fab.

No well i dont normally but they all looked so fab together will deffinately try it again but i have some beads left from all sets so i am in the process of making another two bracelets one just with the samplers and discs of yours so keep your eye on flickr xx

Kalorlo
17-10-2009, 07:44 PM
That's lovely, Jo! I bought more lampwork beads today... I guess I should start making things with them instead of just taking them out and admiring them! :D

Annelyse
18-10-2009, 10:26 AM
It's gorgeous Jo... whatever the name of the colour! ...(My guess would have been Ink blue but it's not even on the list, it's just a glass name #-o)

snow_imp
18-10-2009, 03:57 PM
I just love that blue - don't care what the exact shade name is!

Congratulations on some beautiful work.

SilverBlueberry
18-10-2009, 05:01 PM
It looks great! I like blue + silver.

It's funny how you say all you seem to make is bracelets. I only make pendants. I need to push myself to make earrings, bracelets and I've just started with rings. Pendants just come naturally to me...

Di Sandland
18-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Me too - bracelets for me. I have a fair next weekend and need to spend a whole week making earrings, which are sorely lacking from my inventory :(|

Fiona
18-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Gorgeousness Jo .. and they look a bit like Montana Blue to me :giggle:

AlexandraBuckle
19-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Lovely bracelet! My hubby bought me a sapphire pendant from the Gem Factory in Bangkok - its a v.pretty colour and very similar to the colour of your bracelet.

MuranoSilver
19-10-2009, 09:31 AM
That's so gorgeous - I love the way you add so many elements to achieve such an elegant look!
classy...
Nic x

Emerald
19-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Thanks all i appreciate you lovely comments:)

and i think am am going to stick with Sapphire:giggle:

jetlag
20-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Blimey, Di, you do don't you. :D
Personally, I think it's more Yale Blue. Intrigued to know where Dodger Blue came from.

The LA Dodgers (baseball team). I'm an Angelino, what can I say LOL

And that bracelet is just beautiful. That's one of my favourite colours, too *drools*

Emerald
20-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Its a fabulous colour and very 'in' this Autumn:)

Jayne
20-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Jo - that bracelet is lushious - you are v clever :)
J x

Emerald
20-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Thank you all xx