PDA

View Full Version : Complaints you can't solve.....

MuranoSilver
18-07-2009, 05:13 PM
I had a really awful end to my day as someone came in with a complaint & really upset me.
They'd been given a double fingerprint bangle by their hubby and didn't think there were
enough lines on the younger child's fingerprint.....

I tried to explain that the younger the child the less defined their lines are, but all I got was
"you SOLD my husband this and I was EXPECTING it too look like the one in your advert".

Then I showed her three different fingerprints taken from different aged children and pointed out that
older children have more defined prints, they even vary from person to person & child to child.....
Her child is very young and she was pointing to a print, that I'd explained was from a teenager, saying her child's print
"should look like that"!

I offered to do the print again for free but once again said I could only capture lines that were there
(some children just don't have well defined prints).
I also offered to take the heart charm back and give her a refund on the whole charm OR if she preferred,
give her the money back on the whole bracelet including the other print which was as she thought just "OK"!

She's gone away to talk to her husband about it as they're "very disappointed".
The sad thing is that I wasn't upset about the lines on the hearts
(they were as good as I could get at the time from the girls fingers).
I'm most upset because of the implication that I'd somehow mislead them..

I knew the hubby, he was round our house doing us a favour when I took the prints.
The fingerprints were the result of a casual conversation & me showing him something I was making for someone else.
I didn't go into lots and lots of detail (I wasn't in my shop) but he liked the idea of capturing the fingerprints for a later gift.
HE thought it would be a great idea and as the girls were with him I agreed to do them there and then.
I even charged him less when he came to pay for them....

Lesson learnt - don't do business casually and make everything extra clear for acquaintances / friends....
I still don't know what they'll decide to do. She fancied one of my new footprint / hand print charms
but they're £20 more as they take twice as long and use extra materials.
(I also offered to do one of those and for them to just pay the difference)

Feeling very deflated now....I know you can't please all of the people all of the time
but I do try really, really hard to do just that!

Anyone else had this experience? What would YOU do in this situation
(or is it just me?)

Nic x

Ominicci
18-07-2009, 06:12 PM
No solution just sympathy:)

julie
18-07-2009, 06:28 PM
i think you handled it very professionally

Charlotte
18-07-2009, 07:09 PM
She sounds like such a pain in the bum. But you handled it better than I would have. They never seem to realise the cost implications of you doing something else for free. Its a very expensive medium to work in and takes a great deal of time to make anything, not only that but it often means starting a new piece and being left with a piece which is personal to them and therefore impossible to sell on!

I've done a few things for family and I've had a few sizing issues, this means I've basically had to start over again (because they had stones in), so I've done double the work, used double the materials and gained half the profit from the start . I prefer to work through galleries now:o

Tip for anyone... customers cannot size themselves properly, unfortunately I never meet my customers as I don't have a shop, so this has been a problem, trying to talk them through step by step how to do it... and it still doesn't work!

Its very difficult because its basically an attack on your art and you can't help but take it to heart.

A lot of people just enjoy a bit of an argument, and it sounds like she's an ungrateful so and so (I read somewhere we're not allowed to swear on here;)) I feel sorry for her husband too, he went to all that trouble to organise something lovely and personal!

I would love to see some images of these bangles Nicola if you have some, how do you make lines in them?

Have a glass of wine, have a look through some of your jewellery and remember what a fab jeweller you are... thats what I do;) If she's upsetting you it may be best to just give the money back and be done with it.

MuranoSilver
18-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Do you know what.... a couple of glasses of wine and the support of you fabulous forum folk and I'm a happy crafter again :D :D

The fingerprints are on x-large charms that I jumpring solder onto a bangle.
(like fingerprint danglies). I've attached some pics of cufflink & pendant versions, so you can see :)

I offered her the money back - but they haven't decided whether that's what they want...

Nic x

The Bijou Dragon
18-07-2009, 10:02 PM
Unfortunately people are very rude sometimes and also very frustrating!

If her husband bought them he was obviously happy with them and she isn't. You handled it very well and you shuldn't let small minded, rude customers (and there really is no pleasing some of them) get you down!

Your stuff is beautiful and some people just don't understand however you explain something. Leave her to it, bite your lip then just let it go and forget about it.

We used to get that in the Antiques trade (before my folks gave it up), we'd sell something and a few days later they would come back with some trumped up reason about us diddling them or a none existent crack or bubble in hand-crafted glass items made by the Victorians. What most of them really meant is "we got it home and it doesn't match the curtains but you're not going to give us our money back if we say that so we'll blame you".

Smile, deal with her p*ssy attitude, offer her what you need to and when she's gone just get on with dealing with normal, nice customers who appreciate how much hard work you do!

*hugs*

Charlotte
18-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Wow, they are gorgeous, do you cast them? I wouldn't know where to start!:eek:

MuranoSilver
18-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks Bijou l have so many wonderful customers to be greatful for & I'm sure
once we've resolved the problem this lady will be a wonderful customer again too...
(and the experience will help me learn a lesson about favours! ;))

Charlotte they're Precious Metal Clay & they're done via Direct Impression.
Followed by lots of sanding, an hour in an 860 degree kiln and then
hand polishing (so you protect the print).

You can also do the same thing with wax casting and even etching
(each giving slightly different results)

Nic x

Charlotte
18-07-2009, 11:08 PM
Lol, if its a direct print then how can she moan about it?! Does she want you to carve deeper lines in to her childs fingers or something?:rolleyes:

There are so many different angles to jewellery making, I shall have to try the clay one day, I suppose you can use the kiln for the PMC and for enamelling.

Glad you have cheered up!:D

MuranoSilver
19-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Thank you for the suggestion, upon reflection I now realise it was all my fault.
So I've produced a "Handy Guide" for demanding mums.....
http://muranosilver.com/images/carvingfingers.jpg
Hmm then again, mabe I better not print them (can you imagine the lawsuits)
"Have you carved your childrens fingers through no fault of your own?"
"Then call our handy no fee solicitors now!" :rolleyes:

Yes a kiln is useful for loads of things, pmc, enamelling, annealing, dicroic glass cabouchons (I love my kiln!)

Nic x

Ominicci
19-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Ha ha brilliant Nic!!

For some reason I can't view bigger pictures of your thumbnails - the page goes dark grey and tells me I do not have permission and to Log In and refresh the page - I am logged in!!

Charlotte
19-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Lol, make sure you have that printed off for her next visit;)

lynnm
19-07-2009, 03:04 PM
having spent most of my working life in sales I know just what you mean.... I would just say 'heres your money back and I will keep the charm' but that's me.... some peoples expectation far outways anyones capability! I am thinking that perhaps if I decide to do this (fingerprints in silver I mean) I will fingerprint the person at the time as well so I can say 'sign this as acceptable' and they have no way to complain and I will have proof positive that I actually produced what was there then!

Milomade
19-07-2009, 05:47 PM
She sounds awful! I think you dealt with it really well though and I don't think you should bend over backwards and offer her load of stuff for free. I've looked at the images and I don't see what is wrong with the items, they're lovely and can't see what the woman is complaining about. Maybe she was having a bad day and just decided to take it all out on you. Who knows. I f she gives you any more hassle, I would just offer her a refund and take the items back - she doesn't deserve them!

EmmaRose
20-07-2009, 08:48 PM
I think you have behaved admirably (and legally you are on the high ground too!)
Just remember some people are NEVER satisfied. No reflection on you at all!
hang on in there.
Em

MuranoSilver
21-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Well as the final update to the whole thing - the wife (of that fellow we know) came in again today
and they decided to get a refund on the whole bangle.......
I gave her the refund back and have had time to look at the charms properly now....they are both fine,
as is the bangle. Oh well on the positive side I've got an example bangle for young childrens prints! :rolleyes:

If I get chance I'll snap a pic & post it later

Nicola x

The Bijou Dragon
21-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Glad it's all over... just be thankful you aren't her husband, imagine trying to keep her happy 24/7? :eek: She sounds like a right silly spotted mooing beast!

I have seen in the past terms and conditions which state that they will not accept returns of personalised items... after all, it's not really like you can sell them on afterwards.

I know it's possible to melt them down in a crucible and make something else but it seems a shame after you spent all that time making said item!

MuranoSilver
21-07-2009, 04:06 PM
The lesson I learnt is that I should've got him to come to the shop to do it!
Then I'd have shown him the examples and not be £85 down :rolleyes:
The funny thing is I just had another mum in to ask about them because she saw the new
"example bangle" in the window and loved it :D

Every cloud n' all that!

Nic x

Milomade
21-07-2009, 04:10 PM
there you go - maybe it's £85 well spent after all.

AlexandraBuckle
21-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Thats great - see it worked out ok in the end :)

The Bijou Dragon
21-07-2009, 06:51 PM
That's good news, like you said every cloud has a silver lining... literally in this case!

It is a very beautiful idea that's for sure :)

MuranoSilver
21-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Excuse the huge picture but I wanted to show you the detail....
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/fingerprint-bangle.jpg
Obviously some is lost in the photo but the bigger childs fingerprint is quite clear (or is it just me???)
We even managed to capture a little of younger girls print, but there was less of it to take :rolleyes:.
On the back of each I had hand carved their names and little kisses.

Nic x

julie
21-07-2009, 08:33 PM
can quite clearly see the fingerprints what a lovely keepsake for any mother to have ... i think she will come to regret giving it back to you for a full refund in time ... some people can be really hard to please and i think you found one of them :( i think it was a lovely gesture for her husband to do that shame she didn't see that ...

Charlotte
22-07-2009, 10:36 AM
This woman makes me angry, lol, Its so beautiful, I just don't understand how she could part with it, I REALLY hope her husband doesn't bother getting her anything ever again;)

EmmaRose
22-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Always good to have a sample piece! I think that is lovely!
Em

Rocksforfrocks
24-07-2009, 09:46 AM
Well ive seen your work Nic and its lovely, Some people are just never happy!

EmmaRose
24-07-2009, 10:47 AM
I would have felt tempted to only give them a partial refund since it was a custom item (hence non resellable).
Em

silver Girl
24-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Do you know what.... a couple of glasses of wine and the support of you fabulous forum folk and I'm a happy crafter again :D :D

The fingerprints are on x-large charms that I jumpring solder onto a bangle.
(like fingerprint danglies). I've attached some pics of cufflink & pendant versions, so you can see :)

I offered her the money back - but they haven't decided whether that's what they want...

Nic x

what horrible people they are , that must of cost you quit a bit to make your jewllery for them , after reading what a horrible day you had , I flet like giving you a friendly hug :D , lol . I wish you good luck in sell and making your jewellery

MuranoSilver
24-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Awww thankyou {{{Silvergirl}}}
(for new to a forum folks the {{Huggee's name}} is the hugs sign)
Nic xx

silver Girl
25-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Awww thankyou {{{Silvergirl}}}
(for new to a forum folks the {{Huggee's name}} is the hugs sign)
Nic xx

((((muranosilver)))) I hope thats made your day better? :D

MuranoSilver
25-07-2009, 12:37 PM
Yep sure has ;)

Di Sandland
25-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Late to the party, Nic, as I've only just found the forum but I just wanted to add my accolades to the others.

Your work is gorgeous and you acted admirably. Her loss not yours.

Hugs
Di x

silver Girl
28-07-2009, 01:36 PM
Yep sure has ;)

hey I just worder what happen to those horrible customers u had , and did they want there money back ??:confused:

MuranoSilver
28-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Yes I gave her the cash back (even though I didn't have to)
and now use the piece as an example piece. :D
Nic x

bustagasket
28-07-2009, 02:47 PM
There is always one huge drawback in dealing with the public - The Public!

EmmaRose
28-07-2009, 03:53 PM
amen to that LOL!

caroleallen
28-07-2009, 04:19 PM
What a shame. I'd have been delighted with them. I think the suggestion of taking a fingerprint with an inked pad at the same time is a good one, though if the print is done directly into the clay, they should be able to see it and OK it there and then. I suspect she's a bit of a control freak and didn't like her husband doing something she hadn't OK'd.

agent_44
28-07-2009, 07:13 PM
How sad, and what an unreasonable customer! I bet it made her husband feel bad too. It was pretty generous of you to take the piece back, I hope you don't dwell on it, sounds like you did much more than you needed to!

MuranoSilver
28-07-2009, 07:24 PM
I've forgotten all about it now and am quite happy to use it as an example! :)
Nic x

agent_44
28-07-2009, 07:27 PM
That's good, would be easy to let these things get on top of you! :D

fiona davies
23-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Hi Nic,
I too make fingerprint jewellery and if it any consolation there is always ONE, not many, but occasionally who want something manufactured...something like you would get in a shop....they expect the earth!!! If a child has no defined prints then there is NOTHING you can do !!!!Makes me laugh.

The bracelet looks great to me...bet you'll get loads of work from your sample piece!!

fiona

MuranoSilver
23-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Lol - yep and one day she'll probably wish she'd kept it :-"

geti-titanium
23-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi Nic,

I agree with the majority about this and the expression "you can't please everybody all of the time" springs to mind.

On a slightly different subject, have you got any tips for getting a decent impression that I can pass on to my customers. A lot of the fingerprints that we get in for laser engraving are often smudged. Is there a kit available for doing this or should I keep advising them to knock over a Post Office and get the police to do it for them?

The Dragon
23-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Nic

Sorry I wasn't around earlier to offer my support.

I've worked in Customer Services for 20 years and had to 'manage' any number of complaints. Your professionalism was outstanding (no surprise there), should you have given her a full refund - well that's subjective to each individual case, a lot depends on experience and I don't imagine that you have had a lot of stuff returned.

Just remember there are a lot of people out there who want 'de Beers' quality at 'Tesco Value Range' prices. Anyway the silly *** wouldn't know what quality was if it came and smacked her in the mouth.

We love you and your work and so do your other customers.:X

fi79
23-09-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm with the others - there is just no pleasing some people! If I can ever reach the standards you do, Nic, I'll be a happy happy happy happy person. :)

bustagasket
23-09-2009, 08:30 PM
i think i would be happy with half as good and Nic and some of you other people on here [[]]

MuranoSilver
23-09-2009, 09:21 PM
Awww bless you all xxx

Hi Nic,

I agree with the majority about this and the expression "you can't please everybody all of the time" springs to mind.

On a slightly different subject, have you got any tips for getting a decent impression that I can pass on to my customers. A lot of the fingerprints that we get in for laser engraving are often smudged. Is there a kit available for doing this or should I keep advising them to knock over a Post Office and get the police to do it for them?

Yep if you want an "ink" impression then those inkless papers that you can get from hospital supply companies are good (they take baby feet impressions at birth) other than that a good ink pad and the 2nd or third print (not the first)
Nic x

geti-titanium
23-09-2009, 09:45 PM
Thanks Nic