PDA

View Full Version : What's your latest project?

Charlotte
17-07-2009, 06:32 PM
I always try to keep a new and exciting project on the go while I'm making lots of my usual collections. I'm currently experimenting in 9ct yellow and 18ct white gold and have been making an engagement ring and 2 wedding bands. I've ordered my first diamond and am looking forward to setting it next week. I'll post a photo when I'm done.

How about everyone else? Do you get in the rut of making the same things over and over, or do you experiment a lot?

Trudy
17-07-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm always experimenting and trying out new techniques when I see something in a book or magazine...have loads of half finished practice pieces everywhere...sometimes I will go back and take things apart again and make it in to something new. At the moment I am making wirework and stone bangles.

I really love your mixed media necklace btw :) :)

Milomade
17-07-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm just a beginner, so no getting in a rut here. I'm currently making a lot of button earrings and perfecting the art. Still haven't totally got the knack of soldering - so practice makes perfect. I have just learnt to make my own earwires and really chuffed with the results. Will be posting pics of my earring up when they're all down.

Diamonds...I think I'd be far to nervous to use them!

The Bijou Dragon
17-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Well, having just bought about £500 of tools in order to start soldering / making rings / bangles and the like... my next project will be making two beautiful hammered wedding rings.

These rings are for myself and OH for when we get married late next year (with any luck) :D

Either that or the green cat's eye and AB swarovski Sterling Silver bracelet I'm going to make for myself.

MuranoSilver
17-07-2009, 09:53 PM
I love making hammered wedding bands it's such a wonderful finish and the hammered facets catch the light.
Hope you don't mind a little suggestion, make a few in silver to start with to get used to how much they stretch/size up.
I'd make them at least 2 sizes smaller than you want the end result to be.
Also make sure you use an unlined ring stick (the measured ones leave marks in the inside).

Nicola xx

The Bijou Dragon
17-07-2009, 11:14 PM
I love making hammered wedding bands it's such a wonderful finish and the hammered facets catch the light.
Hope you don't mind a little suggestion, make a few in silver to start with to get used to how much they stretch/size up.
I'd make them at least 2 sizes smaller than you want the end result to be.
Also make sure you use an unlined ring stick (the measured ones leave marks in the inside).

Nicola xx

Hee hee they're going to be in Silver anyway as neither of us like gold at all... silver is so pretty and shiny :D

Yup I have both the plain mandrel and the ring sizing stick for rings so I'm all set to go just need the butane for my torch and off I go!

Thanks for the tip about undersizing... I didn't know what :D

Ominicci
18-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Not doing much jewellery at the moment as I have to finish a stained glass panel for a customer. But 'just not that into it' as some of the colours don't seem right.

Charlotte
18-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Dragon - The rings I'm making are for me and my partner! Nearly there with them, I'm just waiting for the diamond now and have a bit of boring 'finishing' to do. Hammered bands will be gorgeous. But as Nicola said, they will expand like anything when you hammer them, I've made that mistake a few times before;)

My 18ct white gold seems very dark to me, is this normal, not that I dislike it, I just didn't realise it was so different to silver! Plus the solder looks very light, but the solder never seems to match what ever metal I'm working in... I probably use too much though:o

MuranoSilver
18-07-2009, 11:11 PM
18ct white can vary supplier to supplier (depends on the alloy mix),
Yes it's normal, the main difference being that when you see it in the High Street it's Rhodium plated
(so you're not seeing the white gold you're seeing the plating).

I made a hammered 18ct ring for myself and it's almost a platinum colour (nice)
The solder mix will vary too...try pickling it again and then polishing to high shine,
polishing helps blend the colour (I use cooksons rubber polishing tips)

Nic x

Solunar Silver Studio
20-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I've been 'playing' at making pmc rings using fine silver ring liners that I have made myself by fusing strips of fine silver. It's a bit of a game but I am getting the hang of it now that I have made 6 of the liners. Fusing fine silver is really a case of 'controlled melting' and as I haven't tried fusing anything larger than 1.5mm wire before it was a bit of a step up to do a 6mm wide 61mm circumference ring! I haven't wrecked one yet though...nothing a bit of judicious filing couldn't remedy anyway!!:o
I am really enjoying the pmc part of it as well! Most of the work I do is based on making decorative fine silver chains out of wire - fusing all the links - so it is a big change to be doing something as creative as rings. I have done a 'retro' geometric one and a flowery one so far and this evening I have started 2 where I am embedding fine silver wire jumprings and balls into the pmc covering. I'm thinking I might try putting enamel inside the jumprings but the last enamelling I did was back at college - so I'm not sure about that. I just love experimenting...especially when it works and creates something wonderful! :)

EmmaRose
22-07-2009, 04:00 PM
working on bridal collections....
E

The Bijou Dragon
23-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Well today I decided to buy some Figaro Cain... then changed my mind and thought... why am I buying chain when I can make it (yeah, I know... insanity is rife in my family lol) so two hours into the project I have... some soldered links lol.

It's a good job I'm making this for me is all I can say!

However, I have improved my soldering technique so it's pretty brilliant so far.

... will keep you updated / show you the final result later... hopefully :D

caroleallen
01-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Ooh, I've just made a fab etched anticlastic bangle. I haven't got a pic but will do one when I get back from my course at B'ham Jewellery School. I'm off on the train tomorrow morning for 5 days of playing - can't wait. :dance:

bustagasket
02-08-2009, 09:04 AM
Lol i'm afraid i cant boast to be doing anything as creative as you guys because a) i dont have any sheet silver yet and b) i am just too new at this gamme, so instead i am making another freshwater pearl set, again using the silver balls inbetween. This time the pearl are pink so very girly :P

I am having a bit of a confidence crisis again, cos half of what everyone says goes straight over my head and i am beginning to wonder if i will ever be able to learn how to do it all and do it well. I know i have only done one term at college, but its not even a course that gives me any qualifications, but then i didnt want to put that pressure on myself either. I would love to spend some quality one on one time with people so that i might actually get to grips with stuff, i have a memory like a sieve which doesnt help, and have to write everything down. Oh i dont know.

caroleallen
02-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Don't give up Su. We all had to start somewhere. I did evening classes for about 3 years before I had the confidence to do anything at home.

Charlotte
02-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Su - What sort of things are you hoping to learn? Make a little list of the things you want to start with and I'm sure anyone who knows here will be willing to go through it step by step, I will if I can help!

Solunar Silver Studio
02-08-2009, 11:16 AM
Surely the important thing is that you are enjoying what you are doing and are interested in learning new things... so you have to eventually pick up new skills - albeit at your own pace. None of us have a hope of learning everything...but I know what you mean... reading some of the stuff on this forum makes you think 'why the hell am I bothering!'. But we shouldn't be comparing ourselves with other people who have been doing this stuff for years or we will never feel good about what we can do.
I'm really writing the above to myself to try and get the fact into my own thick head...so don't worry Su - we all feel pretty inadequate to some degree or another!! Just don't let it spoil your enjoyment of what you are doing!
Barbara

Di Sandland
02-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Su, this forum really is a double edged sword isn't it! On the one hand you have these experts with their stunningly beautiful pieces to inspire you and, on the other hand, those of us who aren't naturally confident, think 'oh bugger, I'll never manage that and think about giving it all up.

Just think back over things you've done in the past at which you've excelled - you didn't become brilliant straight away did you? It took time and effort but, most of all, it took enjoyment. And the better you got the more you enjoyed it. It will be the same with jewellery, I promise you. I am in very much the same league as you in terms of skill and experience but I guess I'm a fair bit older (55 yesterday) and what these extra years have given me, apart from middle aged spread, is the knowledge that if I really want to excel at something I can - provided I work at it.

I love this forum because its a mix of beginners, improvers, and experts and its very non-judgemental, very supportive, and wonderfully friendly. Su you are amongst friends and that, surely, is the best possible place to learn and improve?

One final point - just because you are feeling a tad down about that bloody slice of lemon, don't let that feeling of failure spread to everything else.

Auntie Di is now returning to her 'oh bloody hell, what have I gone and done now' status.

Charlotte
02-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Yeah, this forum seems to inspire enthusiasm and keenness to learn (and when we're not on here[-X) get in to the workshop more than before! But it can also leave me feeling a little rubbish when I see some of the amazing work people can do! Especially with all the talk of science and technique that I can't seem to take in. Luckily I'm starting to get past that and get back to the keenness to learn!

bustagasket
02-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Su, this forum really is a double edged sword isn't it! On the one hand you have these experts with their stunningly beautiful pieces to inspire you and, on the other hand, those of us who aren't naturally confident, think 'oh bugger, I'll never manage that and think about giving it all up.

Just think back over things you've done in the past at which you've excelled - you didn't become brilliant straight away did you? It took time and effort but, most of all, it took enjoyment. And the better you got the more you enjoyed it. It will be the same with jewellery, I promise you. I am in very much the same league as you in terms of skill and experience but I guess I'm a fair bit older (55 yesterday) and what these extra years have given me, apart from middle aged spread, is the knowledge that if I really want to excel at something I can - provided I work at it.

I love this forum because its a mix of beginners, improvers, and experts and its very non-judgemental, very supportive, and wonderfully friendly. Su you are amongst friends and that, surely, is the best possible place to learn and improve?

One final point - just because you are feeling a tad down about that bloody slice of lemon, don't let that feeling of failure spread to everything else.

Auntie Di is now returning to her 'oh bloody hell, what have I gone and done now' status.

Lol Di, i guess i just feel a noob lol and as i have started this at 47 years old, i am kinda kicking myself for not starting earlier, when my eyes were better lol.
Pete pressures me to sell anything i make and have stalls and stuff cos my hobby should pay its way, but i am scared stiff of anything like that, which he cant understand. He wants me to put stuff on ebay and such. I dont need that pressure to scceed on top of what i put on myself.

I knew i would be desperate to do stuff during the summer holidays, which was why i begged my tutor to show me the beading, plus its something i love, but i want to be able to fashion everything else too. I am my own worst enemy lol[[]]

Di Sandland
02-08-2009, 01:31 PM
I am my own worst enemy

You are! But I understand - I get that pressure from my OH too. Money, money, bloody money. Not easy is it? At least you now know you are not alone eh?

bustagasket
02-08-2009, 01:42 PM
You are! But I understand - I get that pressure from my OH too. Money, money, bloody money. Not easy is it? At least you now know you are not alone eh?

Thanks Hun :)[[]]

Ominicci
03-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Su , you will get there, just be patient (and tell OH that too!) []

ps_bond
03-08-2009, 10:27 AM
A series of rings - bit of an assortment of simple silver rings for stock, plus one particularly hefty one.
A pair of peridot earrings (commission, commercial findings in 9k - I'd rather use 18, but never mind).
Some napkin rings (overdue - Argentium, keum boo, flush set stones)
Practicing more on anticlastic forms (copper). Working on a couple of spicula at the moment; need to radius some of my hammers to properly fit the stakes. Once I'm happier with them, I'll make a couple of bracelets too.
Working on a design for an engraved bracelet (still not happy with the drawings).
Continuing with grain setting 100 CZs for practice.
A belt buckle design (cut the parts, now need to work out what it is to look like).

...and some more setting up in the workshop too.

(forgot - working on some repousse tools, some more needle burnishers, a couple of new stakes...)

bustagasket
03-08-2009, 11:46 AM
A series of rings - bit of an assortment of simple silver rings for stock, plus one particularly hefty one.
A pair of peridot earrings (commission, commercial findings in 9k - I'd rather use 18, but never mind).
Some napkin rings (overdue - Argentium, keum boo, flush set stones)
Practicing more on anticlastic forms (copper). Working on a couple of spicula at the moment; need to radius some of my hammers to properly fit the stakes. Once I'm happier with them, I'll make a couple of bracelets too.
Working on a design for an engraved bracelet (still not happy with the drawings).
Continuing with grain setting 100 CZs for practice.
A belt buckle design (cut the parts, now need to work out what it is to look like).

...and some more setting up in the workshop too.

(forgot - working on some repousse tools, some more needle burnishers, a couple of new stakes...)

You sure you got enough on the go atm, sounds like you being a bit lazy to me :P:dance:

ps_bond
03-08-2009, 11:56 AM
You may be right :)

There's a couple of other bits knocking around on the bench too.

I'm trying to get a bit better at documenting everything - timekeeping as well as techniques (and thoughts on the techniques, what I'd do differently, that kind of thing). It's something I do in the fulltime job anyway, so I ought to be able to apply it here.

I just need to stop putting the logbook down in strange places.