PDA

View Full Version : how do you make an adjustable bangle

seedbead
13-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Hi, I'm pretty new to silversmithing. I attended about 20 classes but had to give it up so I'm going to try and see if I can make small items at home. I've made a few rings and have got some basic tools. I've always wanted to make an adjustable bangle but I'm not sure how to do. I was wondering if any of had any instructions or advice. For example what size of silver to use (if that's the right term)

caroleallen
13-10-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by an adjustable bangle. Do you mean a cuff or one that does up? :confused:

mizgeorge
13-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Or do you mean a sliding one, like a baby's bangle?

seedbead
14-10-2009, 03:32 PM
yes, sorry like a bangle for babies. You can adjust the bangle size to make it bigger to fit through the hand and the make it smaller to fit around the wrist.

thanks

ben b
14-10-2009, 10:14 PM
Perhaps one of the most helpful things would be to buy the cheapest one you can find, of childs size, to copy and measure from, as they are quite cheap. This will give you the right length, or at least the one that manufacurers decide on. There are usually christening, childs and maids, therefore 3 sizes, before adult bangles.
You would make one from strip silver, perhaps patterened in a rolling mill die roller, of the right length, and thin strip bent up and soldered on to form the two grips.
cooksons sell a suitable patterned strip....

Jewellery Making Supplies | Cookson Gold Precious Metals | Jewellery Findings (http://www.cooksongold.com/category_select.jsp?prdsearch=y&category=search&desc=patterned%20wire)