PDA

View Full Version : Good book anyone ?

bead27
25-06-2009, 03:29 PM
I've just finished a Jinks McGrath Book (Jewellery Making a complete course for beginners), - a really good read, good layout, easy to read and I liked the step by step processes. A good starting point for anybody new to making.

Has anybody got any recommendations for my next read... I work in silver, attended a short course, and can now follow basic instructions, but I am still learning.
Are the books by Tim Mcrieght any good, or are there better ones out there ?

noelsharpe
01-07-2009, 04:51 PM
"Jewellery Making Techniques" - Elizabeth Olver

clear layout, nice clean designs, easy to follow instructions.

Bee
03-07-2009, 08:04 AM
I like The Complete Book of Jewelry Making: A Full-color Introduction to the Jeweler's Art by Charles Codina.

If you've got a Borders bookshop near you they normally have pretty good jewellery sections. I've been known to spend hours sat cross-legged on their floor choosing books!

Lindsay
03-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Just read a new title - Beginners Guide to Enamelling by d. cockrell.
ONLY £8 - loved it. I've never really done an awful lot of cold enamelling - but this has inspired me to have a right good go. I'd stay away from the vitreous to start with - the cold technique seems much more realistic.

Redkite
03-07-2009, 03:13 PM
I have the Jinks McGrath and the Elizabeth Olver ones - both very good for a beginner.

I have The Complete Metalsmith by Tim McCreight. It's a useful bench reference with basic info on lots of things like metal properties, techniques, gemstone types, workshop set-up. I am planning to get his book on Hot & Cold Connections next

I also like the Lark Books series for inspiration eg 500 brooches, Masters Gemstones, 1000 Rings etc etc

agent_44
05-07-2009, 02:28 PM
I have both of the above books and think they are both great! However about 2 totally different subjects. I would say, regarding The Complete Metalsmith, whilst it is an excellent reference, it doesn't go into huge amounts of detail,probably because it covers so much, so if you run in to troubles with a technique it might not hold all of the answers you need. I agree with RedKite about the 500 series from Lark, great inspiration. I'd paricularly recommend The Jeweller's Directory of Decorative Finishes: From Enamelling and Engraving to Inlay and Granulation by Jinks McGrath if you are interested in surface techniques.

Dano
05-07-2009, 05:57 PM
I have both of the above books and think they are both great! However about 2 totally different subjects. I would say, regarding The Complete Metalsmith, whilst it is an excellent reference, it doesn't go into huge amounts of detail,probably because it covers so much, so if you run in to troubles with a technique it might not hold all of the answers you need. I agree with RedKite about the 500 series from Lark, great inspiration. I'd paricularly recommend The Jeweller's Directory of Decorative Finishes: From Enamelling and Engraving to Inlay and Granulation by Jinks McGrath if you are interested in surface techniques.

yeah, the complete metalsmith by tim mccreight, it is a book everyone should own. jinks mcgrath and tim mccreight, you'll find pretty much anything by those two useful but after you get enough books you'll start getting tons of duplicate info.

MuranoSilver
05-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Oooh if you reads Tims "metal clay" book you might get hooked
(there you have been warned, lol)
nicola x

HMPjewellery
05-07-2009, 11:42 PM
The Complete Metalsmith by Tim McCreight Is fab! and his hot and cold connections books is great too, perfect for me while i cant solder when i have applied my resin to the silver.
I just love his writing style, makes me giggle and its extremely helpful:)

Im hoping to do some book shopping this week too, will pop back and let you know what i buy
yippieee

Hannah

Dano
06-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Please make sure to check out your local library too! i never really thought to because i thought jewellery and silversmithing would be a bit too specific, but i had a search on their computers and they had LOADS of books, and you can photocopy the occasional page for yourself too.

other books as well, architectural books for form ideas, books on tiling for mosaics, you can get an idea out of anything sometimes!

Milomade
07-07-2009, 01:09 PM
I've got 'Tips and Shortcuts for jewllery making' out of the library and will be working through all the projects inmy spare time over the next few months. It's by Stephen O'Keefe and I think it's really good. Covers a lof of ground by taking you through tons of different projects. I know what my friends and family are getting for christmas this year - lots of my experiments from this book.

I've also ordered the Elizabeth Olver book people mention above as I've heard it's good.

Redkite
07-07-2009, 07:24 PM
I agree with Dano, that it's good to look outside of jewellery books for inspiration. I've enjoyed boks on quilting and stained glass, plus a great book on the architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright, which have given me loads of ideas for shapes and enamelling projects!

I could (and frequently do!) spend a fortune on books!!

Lynne Glazzard
07-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Love the Tim McCreight books and for metal clay I would recommend you look for a book called Structural Metal Clay by Kate McKinnon

wendy
07-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Oppi Untracht's 'Jewellery Concepts and Technology' is a mind blowing book and contains instructions for pretty much every single thing you'd want to do with metal - maybe not the first book you'd need to buy, but definitely worth the investment. I use it regularly, and always refer to it when preparing lessons.

agent_44
10-07-2009, 01:30 AM
Oppi Untracht's 'Jewellery Concepts and Technology' is a mind blowing book and contains instructions for pretty much every single thing you'd want to do with metal - maybe not the first book you'd need to buy, but definitely worth the investment. I use it regularly, and always refer to it when preparing lessons.

I've had my eye on this book for a while, I think it will have to be my next book purchase!

amazingbabe
11-07-2009, 07:43 AM
I answer all my queries online!! Would be lost without my laptop:p

EmmaRose
22-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Complete metalsmith is a bible that will last you your whole career, but it is more reference rather than project based.
I like Jewellery by Madeline Coles, a two in one manual.
Emma

julie
22-07-2009, 03:45 PM
have to agree with you milomade 'Tips and Shortcuts for jewllery making' is one of my favorite books that i go back to time & time again .. i have made a few things from the book (ring - on my profile album )

Milomade
22-07-2009, 04:06 PM
I'm abaout to tackle the rings in the books. Been too busy with my earrings of late, but this week I'm going to make some rings and see how I get on. The first ring I ever made, I sized it correctly for my finger and then once completed I decided on a textured finish and hammered it a bit too much and it's quite loose, so I need an new one methinks....

Metalicanna
24-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Same, the Jink's McGrath Jewellery Making for Beginners is brilliant. A must have for your book collection I would say. Most of my other books are insprational rather than technical and are really handy now I've learnt some basic techniques. I would recommend: Adorn by Amanda Mansell, Fabulous Jewellery from Found Objects by Marthe Le Van, The Jewellery Materials Sourcebook by Anastasia Young and The Jewellers Directory of Decorative Finishes by Jinks McGrath.

Anna

corryvreckan
21-09-2009, 08:00 PM
This reference book is great and usually on substantial discount on amazon.

corryvreckan
21-09-2009, 08:01 PM
aah, quick reply newby, I meant the Oppi Untracht! It's referred to as the bible in our house.

Penny
29-07-2010, 11:25 AM
I have all the above mentioned books and in a way agree with Dano that stuff is duplicated, because they all cover the basics, but what I have found is that although they go over the basics, each of them have different ways of doing things and often you can have an aha moment when reading the basics of yet another book, because there is something that you didn't find in the others. I am always learning, and I often go back and read up on a technique and go to each of these books on the particular technique until I am really sure I have figured out how I am going to do it. Sometimes, I like Jinks' way, and sometimes I like Tim McCreight, depends, but I love each of these books for different things.

caroleallen
29-07-2010, 09:07 PM
I've probably got most of the good books but the one I'd thoroughly recommend is this one Amazon.com: Jewelry Techniques: The Essential Guide to Choosing… (http://www.amazon.com/Jewelry-Techniques-Essential-Choosing-Materials/dp/0823026043)

It's the most amazing book and covers just about everything you need to know.

Myosotis
29-07-2010, 10:24 PM
I've probably got most of the good books but the one I'd thoroughly recommend is this one Amazon.com: Jewelry Techniques: The Essential Guide to Choosing… (http://www.amazon.com/Jewelry-Techniques-Essential-Choosing-Materials/dp/0823026043)

It's the most amazing book and covers just about everything you need to know.

Thats the American version - I've got the UK version called the Jewellery Materials Sourcebook which I think is currently on offer on Amazon.co.uk

Mia
30-07-2010, 09:32 AM
The Workbench Guide to Jewelry Techniques by Anastasia Young
Covers all the basics but also more advanced techniques which at the moment are asirational for me. Good photographs and clear language.
If you are a visual learner better to go to Andrew Berry's site.

caroleallen
30-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Thats the American version - I've got the UK version called the Jewellery Materials Sourcebook which I think is currently on offer on Amazon.co.uk

Oh yes, sorry, I didn't realise I'd got the wrong book. Oh, actually, I think we're talking about two different books. The Sourcebook is good but not as good as the one I recommended. It's not American. Anastasia Young is British.

Myosotis
30-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Oh yes, sorry, I didn't realise I'd got the wrong book. Oh, actually, I think we're talking about two different books. The Sourcebook is good but not as good as the one I recommended. It's not American. Anastasia Young is British.

Its the same book. I've checked my Jewellery Materials Sourcebook against the Jewelry Techniques book you linked to on Amazon.com and the only difference in the pages is on page 244 and 245 of yours it has US suppliers and on mine is has UK suppliers. It was re-titled for the American market. Sorry to be pedantic but that's just me. I know Anastasia Young is British, she teaches at Central St Martin's.

caroleallen
30-07-2010, 07:09 PM
So sorry, it's The Workbench Guide to Jewelry Techniques. It's the best laid out and most informative book I've got. Even better than Oppi Ontracht or Jinks McGrath or even Tim McCreight, in my opinion. And, it's British.

Myosotis
31-07-2010, 12:20 AM
So sorry, it's The Workbench Guide to Jewelry Techniques. It's the best laid out and most informative book I've got. Even better than Oppi Ontracht or Jinks McGrath or even Tim McCreight, in my opinion. And, it's British.

Yeah thats a really good book as well

mizgeorge
31-07-2010, 07:28 AM
I like that one too - and also like that it's British. I must get the pro version of the Tim McCreight though, I'm convinced I'm missing out on something with my small one!

Di Sandland
31-07-2010, 08:29 AM
both authors have been asked for interviews for the Guild of Jewellery Designers AND Jinks McGrath has become a member!

lesley
31-07-2010, 09:07 AM
So sorry, it's The Workbench Guide to Jewelry Techniques.

I got this a few weeks ago following your earlier recommendation, Carole. :) It very cleverly seems to suit both beginners and those with more experience. Look forward to her interview.

I have a few of the other usual recommendations but I find there's always something else that I need to know or ask.