PDA

View Full Version : has anyone made their own barelling unit

lucy81
12-10-2009, 09:45 AM
I read in a precious metal clay book that it is possible to make your own barelling unit. As I'm only an amateur, I was considering giving this a go rather than forking out for one. Has anyone else made their own?

Charlotte
12-10-2009, 10:22 AM
I've never made one... so I'm no help, but I have taken mine apart to fix and have found that its a very simple system. There are a few engineers on here who I'm sure would be able to make something like that in their sleep;)

Petal
12-10-2009, 12:43 PM
I am sure I read somewhere on our forum that someone used a jar with some polishing medium inside and shook it (for about 10 minutes) and that seemed to produce a good shine! I also remember reading that someone had bought a childrens barrel polishing machine from Argos for a few quid if you're trying to cut down on costs.

Hope that helps.

x

Dano
12-10-2009, 01:54 PM
i built one from scratch (well except the rubber barrel and media which i got from the big C), and honestly, the amount of money it saved me was maybe £30 tops, which was probably eaten by petrol for going to get the bits and was DEFINITELY eaten by the time it took to build. it works okay and it was interesting to make, but honestly i wish i'd just bought one.

ben b
16-10-2009, 08:17 PM
My GF always gets suspicious when the washing machine smells of barrelbright

bustagasket
16-10-2009, 08:35 PM
My GF always gets suspicious when the washing machine smells of barrelbright

lmao ben, just how much do you tumble in one go!!!!