PDA

View Full Version : Now I'm Really Nervous

The Dragon
11-10-2009, 10:52 AM
It's no good putting it off, the time has finally come.

Henry is getting fired up for the first time today.

I've finished my roses to the best of my ability and lovingly laid them on a soft bed of carbon encased in steel. I've read the instruction manual three times and the programming manual six, I've even written down the exact programme I want to enter, put it in and got my OH to check it.

And .... I've just pressed START. A few clicks later and every thing looks like it should.

Don't get me wrong, as a rule I don't have a problem with equipment. I can handle a router, angle grinder and SDS drill with equal ease, I can lay a reasonably good line of bricks and I'm ok with the fundamentals of plumbing, I can even replace a broken socket faceplate without a second thought.

So whay am I convinced I've done something wrong here, god knows, I suspect I won't settle down until the first piece is out and I know it's ok. Given that it going to be a while I better make sure I keep myself busy.

I wonder is this what they mean when they talk about 'suffering for your art'.

MuranoSilver
11-10-2009, 11:00 AM
What firing programme are you using Annie? :)

The Dragon
11-10-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm following your recommendations actually. 80c per hours up to 850c, then hold for two hours, I've read a few different methods for firing.

An American website suggests firing without the lid to burn off the binder, allowing to cool then firing with a carbon covering at full heat for 3 hours to sinter the metal. Another tells you to ramp straight up to full temperature and then hold. I'm going with the safer option as it's the first time I've done this and as the pieces are quite thick at the bottom - about 1cm.

If I get a bit of time this week I think I may make a few copper discs. I can then try the various methods and see what happens. At least that will leave me with some copper discs to practice my enamelling on.:)

MuranoSilver
11-10-2009, 11:23 AM
I've got some of the new Art Clay copper to experiment on
(gotta resist though until some of my commissions are finished)

Don't pickle your fired copper clays (if they're going to be enamelled ;))
Nic x

The Dragon
11-10-2009, 12:07 PM
That's a thought - lol.

How long does it take for the kiln to cool down from 850c? Not that I'm impatient or anything! ;)

mizgeorge
11-10-2009, 12:10 PM
I leave mine to cool overnight.....

snow_imp
11-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Ah, I'm so glad that I haven't got into using such technical equipment :)

I'm sure your first pieces will be just fine.

The Dragon
11-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Thanks - I'm just a bit of a control freak - I like to know what's happening and why!

It looks as if it's going ok except it appears to be ramping up 80c every 45 minutes not every 60 mins. Not too worried by that (chews fingernails), just concerned that If I haven't programmed it properly it won't hold at 850c but keep getting hotter. Now where did I put that manual. [-o<

The Dragon
11-10-2009, 09:26 PM
Well so far so good.

It reached 850c at 21.55. I've kept a record of the process as instructed. It was a good idea as it stopped me worrying too much (well after the 1st hour anyway).

In the first hour there was an increase on 84c, which made me think I'd done something wrong. After that the hourly increases were 79 - 81c - phew!!!

I have 1:35 hr to go now, then I'm going to be sad and record how quickly it cools down by itself.

One thing they don't tell you in the manual is how strange it smells, you definately want a window open when it's on. lol

mizgeorge
11-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Annie, did you not do an empty firing first? You really should have done one, with the cone out (I think you've got an SC2 haven't you) as the first firing can be a bit smelly and smoky. You may find the inside looks a little less white when it's finished as well :)

The Dragon
12-10-2009, 01:46 AM
Nope didn't think of that - or I missed it when I read the manual.

All done and dusted now, waiting for the pot to cool right down, only problem is it looks like the carbon expanded under heat as I have a fine layer of black dust in the kiln and the stainless steel pot has gone black. Don't know what to make of that, oh well I'll know in the morning what the damage is. :'(

The Dragon
12-10-2009, 03:13 AM
Well sort of!

One of the roses lost the bail and part of the leaf as I was taking it out. The edges of the break are definately powdery so I know it's not been fired long enough.

The two pictures below are not very clear but I can see a distinct difference between what appears to be fired and what doesn't. The good stuff is a dusty matt beige colour and feels quite cool to the touch. The leaves however are a dull mottled redish colour, much like the original clay, with a dryer feel.

I will quick fire both pieces again and see what happens. While they are cooking I'm going to make some more as I want to try Hadar Jacobson's method and see if there is any improvement.

Now it's definately time for bed I-)

snow_imp
12-10-2009, 06:39 AM
I hope that after all that excitement you slept really well :)

MuranoSilver
12-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Hi Annie
If some are broken then you might want to firre them all again...
(just to be safe). The pot going black anf the "flakies" happens every time
I just hoover the kiln out
Nic x

Solunar Silver Studio
12-10-2009, 07:50 AM
4.13am!!!! There's dedication for you!! Almost like being in labour!! ...although I don't recall putting it back in for a bit longer was an option for that activity!!:rofl:

I hope you are not too upset by the broken one - the other one looks great:Y: And think how much you have learned from your 16+ hour vigil! You will be churning out little stunners with no effort in a few weeks time!

The Dragon
12-10-2009, 10:52 AM
Surprisingly I'm really happy right now. :D

This is a new material that people are still getting to grips with so there isn't a crib sheet to perfection. Yes one of the pieces broke but I don't mind that because I learnt so much from what happened. I will re-fire the pieces, this time I'll ramp it straight up full speed then hold it. Not sure if I'll go for 30, 45 or 60 minutes yet though. :dontknow:

As for the vigil - well that's me I'm afraid. When I start concentrating on something I love doing I'm oblivious. Good job I'm not at work this week. :Y:

The Dragon
13-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Ooops

Mixed results I'm afraid. This is a picture of what I'm left with after re-firing and tumbling :'(

Looking at the broken pieces there are still a few problems with the binder buring off so to fix that I'm going to sand and reduce each layer of petals to cut down on the thickness. It also look as if the layers have not bonded properly so Im going to try keying the dry surface more and thickening up the slip a bit, especially around the bail. All in all I'm quite please with the first attempt. BTW can anyone recommend a polishing compond for copper.

..... Try, try again. :)

Emerald
13-10-2009, 01:01 PM
Hi Annie well the one that dident break looks amazing and as for polish you can use the same as for your silver xx

snow_imp
13-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Oh no, what a shame that one came apart this time. But the one that is complete looks great. :Y: