PDA

View Full Version : Do your tools go rusty in the shed?

Lindyloo
10-10-2009, 12:23 PM
Well, I have set up my garage workshop now. :dance: And after some rust issues on tools that the sweaty handed kids at school have handled, I am scared to put my good tools out in the garage in case they go rusty. So I keep them in a box in the laundry, which I take out when I am in the garage. #-o

So what do all you peeps do who have your workshops in your sheds? Do you have condensation problems? And does this affect your tools? I know you can protect them, but do they require frequent maintenance? :confused:

And it seems important to me now that I am considering buying a rolling mill.

Di Sandland
10-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Lindy, I now work between the centrally heated spare room and the garage/workshop, which is integral. However, I used to use the shed as a woodturning shop and the tools for that are equally as precious as jewellery tools. And, yes, I had very bad condensation problems, specially in the winter when, of course, I heated it in there. A few bits did get rusty until I sussed the problem - then I just gave the tools a quick coat of oil after use. It didn't take long - just a quick rub down with an oily cloth(!). Funnily enough, the lathe, which was a huge professional one, never suffered from rust at all - and I don't think I ever gave that a coat of oil.

Ominicci
10-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Thanks Di!

Hopefully I will be able to do most of my silver work in my room in the house and just do lampwork and stained glass in the shed when it is finished so hopefully I won't have a problem either. But it is good to know these tips in case.

MuranoSilver
10-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Oil in a bucket of sand - you put the tools into the oiled sand and it cleans and protects
Nic x

lilacmonkey
08-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Oil in a bucket of sand - you put the tools into the oiled sand and it cleans and protects
Nic x

like that idea very much.
thank you.

stu g

Coco
13-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Nic x

Does that work on rusty files and do rusty files still file anyway or is using them a big no no? [-X

MuranoSilver
13-11-2009, 01:16 PM
Never tried files in sand I'd imagine it would clog the teeth.
Rust would potentially leave marks but it depends how rusty it is.
I always fry my metal very thoroughly before filing to try & avoid it
Nic x

Di Sandland
13-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Nothing to add other than I just read the title of this thread and thought it sounded a bit like a line from a rude rugby type song

bustagasket
13-11-2009, 01:27 PM
Never tried files in sand I'd imagine it would clog the teeth.
Rust would potentially leave marks but it depends how rusty it is.
I always fry my metal very thoroughly before filing to try & avoid it
Nic x

erm.................FRY Nic?

Jayne
13-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Nothing to add other than I just read the title of this thread and thought it sounded a bit like a line from a rude rugby type song
LOL! :rofl:

J x