PDA

View Full Version : Membership Party

The Dragon
09-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Wow we are now up to 890 members, doesn't time fly. It won't be long now until we hit the magic 1,000 mark. I think we should do something to celebrate our fab forum, so what do you all think?.

Maybe we could decide on something and co-ordinate it so we all celebrate by doing it at the same time ( I realise that Geti and Jason will probably have a field day with that last comment). Or maybe we could do something really special like each make a small component and then put it all together as a necklace and auction it off for charity. I don't know if that would actually work or would be popular but it gets the ideas going.

Come on people, we love our forum & we always look after each other so lets celebrate what a good thing we have. [[]]

Bigwol
10-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Only 76 shopping days to Christmas

What about a Birmingham based christmas p*ss up?

Isn't that what we do at that time of year?

But yes, I would be happy to contribute to whatever the charitable side of this thought results in

Count me in

Dave

Petal
12-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Wow we are now up to 890 members, doesn't time fly. It won't be long now until we hit the magic 1,000 mark. I think we should do something to celebrate our fab forum, so what do you all think?.

Maybe we could decide on something and co-ordinate it so we all celebrate by doing it at the same time ( I realise that Geti and Jason will probably have a field day with that last comment). Or maybe we could do something really special like each make a small component and then put it all together as a necklace and auction it off for charity. I don't know if that would actually work or would be popular but it gets the ideas going.

Come on people, we love our forum & we always look after each other so lets celebrate what a good thing we have. [[]]

I thought I'd put this at the top of the thread today, as it was originally posted at the (very quiet) weekend and wonder what you guys think of The Dragons suggestion ???

Solunar Silver Studio
12-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Children in Need is on 20th November. If we all contributed out dangly bits (or 'small components' if you prefer) which, as you suggest Annie, could be made up into bracelets, necklaces...whatever. Perhaps Cooksons could be encouraged to advertise an auction to their enormous database...all proceeds going to Children in Need... I hate to think of the logistics though...I'm no good at that sort of thing! I'd be happy to contribute my dangly bits to any good cause though!! :-D:dance::-D

Thinking about it....if Cookies can do draws for Red Letter Days and they like they must be set up for doing this sort of thing.....or am I barking up the wrong tree here?? It would be good advertising for them too as the loving, caring, bullion supplier!!!

The Dragon
12-10-2009, 06:31 PM
I wonder if we could prevail upon our moderators to test the waters with Cookson's to see what they think - it is their forum after all.

I just like the idea of celebrating what a brilliant forum we have, I also think this might be something everyone can contribute to, I think even the members who are just starting would be able to make a simple wire wrapped bead.

I know that this suggestion may not sit comfortably with some members, I tend to be a bit gung-ho with my suggestions and don't always see the full picture.

I really would like the other members to think seriously about the original reason I suggested it in the first place. Our forum is growing rapidly and becoming and essential tool for exchanging knowledge and information, offering support for all levels of expertise, and letting people who often feel like they are working in isolation be part of a family that understands what they are going through. So please let us know what you think, even if you hate the idea (especially if you hate the idea), this is what this forum is about so don't be shy. :)

Di Sandland
12-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Like Bee, I'm not very good at logistics. But I'm up for doing something along these lines.

x

snow_imp
12-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Sounds like fun - it would be interesting to see if all the components we produce can be connected together.

I'm in for a small something. :)

mizgeorge
12-10-2009, 09:56 PM
OK, my thoughts probably won't be very popular, but I'll voice them anyway.

On the membership thing, we may have nearly 900 registered members, but how many are actually active? Around 200. I don't think that's a huge amount to shout about I'm afraid. The membership list hasn't been pruned (as far as I can see) since the board's inception, and as a result there are pages and pages of people who've registered and never been back.

However, I'm not against having an excuse for a celebration.

On the charity thing, I'm quite happy to be involved in something on the board, though prefer to do so anonymously (I already do a lot of charity work, and get asked to do more all the time). I think any fundraising by the board should be kept on the board though. I don't believe it's Cookson's place to be advertising anything like this, especially knowing that (from experience in other places) things can sometimes go wrong, people can end up feeling let down, and feelings can be hurt. And the buck has to stop somewhere. If I'm honest, I think a raffle can work better, with anyone who wants to join in able to buy as many tickets as they wish, until a set number is sold out of course! That way, you're guaranteed a reasonable sum to give to the charity concerned, and nobody's feelings get hurt. It can be done either via paypal if a mod (or someone) is happy to organise, or using a site like just justgiving.com, so the gift aid element gets added in as well.

I'd also add that if the idea is to make a collaborative piece, which can be lovely, it's worth setting some fairly strict guidelines right from the start. I've seen some real horrors produced where this hasn't been done, and particularly where the end result has been put together by somebody who hasn't necessarily had a lot of experience with design.

I always seem to be the raincloud that turns up at every parade, and I'm really not a half empty glass kind of person, but have been involved in stuff like this for a very long time, and have run into most of the potential pitfalls sooner or later!

Di Sandland
13-10-2009, 10:10 AM
George, you're not the rain cloud - you're the shaft of sunlight that illuminates the potential pitfalls.

Boy, that was a good 'un eh? ;)

The Dragon
13-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks George, that's exactly what I was tying to get people to do. My opinion is only 1/200th of (if I can use your figure) the forum and I'm a great believer of everybody having a say even if it gets a bit lively at times.

Everything you have said makes sense and people need to consider it before we make a decision. :Y:

Petal
13-10-2009, 02:43 PM
I agree. Di, Anne & George have hit the nail on the head here. This is one of those ideas that's a good one, but how on earth its managed with the numbers of active members involved could be quite challenging!

George, you are definitely not the raincloud, you're the the one who says what some of us are secretly thinking, but don't (for whatever reason) post, so all :respekt: to you ;)

I also think the lack of response is because a lot of the forum members are working on stuff today and yesterday. Friday was an amazing day with everyone on the forum posting all day and evening...I couldn't help myself and perhaps we are all 'forumed out'!? I know I was. I came away thinking I needed a rest and could do with getting on with making lots of stuff. I haven't & there's a reason for that, but I won't go off topic on that one!

xx

bustagasket
13-10-2009, 03:58 PM
I have shied from this post for purely selfish reasons - Children in Need day is on Rikkis Birthday. And obviously i am not good company on that day now.

MuranoSilver
13-10-2009, 06:12 PM
I afraid I might have to sit this one out, unless it's in the new year..
(definately would want to make something worthy and have no time before Christmas)
nic x

Jayne
13-10-2009, 08:04 PM
I haven't commented on this thread up until now because I haven't been able to come up with any good ideas! :confused:
I think it's a lovely plan from Annie :) but I can't work out how anything could work. A collaborative piece with 100 - 150 of us taking part would be fabulous, although it could induce a breakdown for the person responsible for co-ordinating it :'(
Bigwol's idea of drinky poos in Brum sounds like fun, but we are all so far flung that we would have to wait for a teleportation system like the one from 'The Fly' to go nationwide (or rather, international).......maybe we could all befriend each other on facebook and play 'chug-it' ;)
J x

Lisa Quinn
13-10-2009, 08:10 PM
I wonder how many of us are intending to go the the Spring Fair at the NEC? I know it's a long way off , but it may be something that many people would be going to anyway and could meet up and compare bargains over a drink ?

The Dragon
13-10-2009, 08:47 PM
Now that sounds like a plan.

Do you have any info on it yet. I need to book time off well in advance and I'm determined work is not going to keep interfereing with my real life. :Y:

Lisa Quinn
13-10-2009, 08:55 PM
It's on between the 7th and the 11th of February 2010, I've attached a link for you ( fingers crossed that it works !)

Jewellery (http://www.springfair.com/page.cfm/Link=211/t=m/trackLogID=24348666_1BBEB3B545)

Petal
14-10-2009, 11:55 AM
I went with my OH last year on the Sunday and it was very useful for me. I'm planning on going next year and there's lots of places to have coffee, drinks etc (I'm sure I saw a hubby creche last year too!)... ;)

xx

Charlotte
14-10-2009, 12:07 PM
Yeah, I too think this is a fab idea but unfortunately I'm having to steer clear of any kind of obligations at the moment as most of my time is spent resting my back. I have 2 items I must make before Christmas and haven't started either of them#-o Really wanted to get involved with secret santa but didn't want to chance it (I have stock items but they only would have worked for certain people;)). Sorry guys, gonna get myself together one of these days;)