PDA

View Full Version : Memory wire

Petal
17-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Hi All,

I recently bought some ring-sized memory wire to make wine glass charms and anything else I can think of. Have any of you used memory wire before? What do you think of it guys.

thanks
Jules

The Bijou Dragon
17-07-2009, 01:10 PM
It makes some nice necklaces (if you get the necklace size) and I have several bracelets (which I bought not made) with hundreds of seed beads which I love when I want a bit of glitz!

I saw these (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=11316385&ref=sr_gallery_9&&ga_search_query=memory+wire+%2BSterling+Silver&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_page=7&order=date_desc&includes%5B%5D=tags&includes%5B%5D=title) not so long ago made with Memory Wire... really beautiful! :)

Petal
19-07-2009, 06:58 AM
Wow, thanks for the link Bijou, they're really lovely pieces...:)I'll definitely practice with the memory wire....

Sorry for the slow reply... I've been busy gardening, but will get back to my beads on Monday. I don't know about others but once I start making stuff, I can't stop!

J

Ominicci
19-07-2009, 01:01 PM
Yes, lovely stuff on her etsy website Nicola thanks! When I see things like this I always try and work out how it is done;) I think I can see some clues, but would be useful to see some of those 'CarolAnn' patterns!

Solunar Silver Studio
21-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Hi Jules, I bought some memory wire a while back but it is just SO tough to work with!! I am a bit of a wimp - and I have weak thumbs:o - so I decided I would stick with well annealed silver wire thank you very much!!:D I have to admit - those were stunning bracelets on that link earlier in this thread tho!!
Barbara

Petal
21-07-2009, 01:43 PM
Hi Barbara,

I've found it a real pain to work with memory wire, too. I thought it was me not using the correct techniques :D So does annealed silver wire do the same thing then?

Trouble is everything I see on this site makes me want to enroll on lots of courses to make really beautiful/unusual pieces. I feel such a novice, but we all have to start somewhere, don't we!

Jules

MuranoSilver
21-07-2009, 01:52 PM
I love other peoples memory wire creations but I can't be doing with it...
once broke some really good cutters on it before I learnt you're better
off with memory wire cutters.

Those pictures on the link earlier in the thread were gorgeous!
Nic xx

The Bijou Dragon
21-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I use my memory wire shears for cutting silver wire as it shears nice and clean and doesn't leave that pinched point that proper wire snips do!

Not good for getting close to pieces but for cutting lengths of wire it's great!

justlulu
21-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Hi Jules, I have to admit I'm not a fan of memory wire. I struggle with it and when I glue end caps on they just seem to fall off! Also if your beads are too heavy the whole thing sags and just doesn't look right. Good luck with yours and let me know how you get on!!!

xxx justlulu

Solunar Silver Studio
22-07-2009, 06:46 AM
Hi Barbara,

I've found it a real pain to work with memory wire, too. I thought it was me not using the correct techniques :D So does annealed silver wire do the same thing then?

Jules

No, I'm afraid not!! It is totally the opposite really as fine silver - even when work hardened or tumbled is still rather soft compared to other metals. I use it to make decorative chains - and I rarely go anything finer than .7mm wire and more usually .9mm - so they work up to be fairly substantial chains! Great for use with pmc and ACS work - which, in my humble opinion, looks odd on flimsy commercially made chains. I've found fine silver to be too soft for making earwires though, so I have just bought some Argentium silver - from Cooksons of course!! - as they are the only supplier in the UK - and I have found that to be quite robust! It is said to be very tarnish resistant but otherwise has the same drawback of sterling silver when working with it...as in needing soldering and pickling etc, etc. :eek: Having worked with fine silver and enjoyed the thrill of working with a metal that doesn't oxidise and discolour on heating and fuses without the need for solder - I'm not tempted to go back to those processes unless Ihave to!! As I said, it works really well for earwires - which just need shaping!!

Back to the thread though...:o I don't think there is anything that compares to the springyness of steel though - memory wire is unique - and I think you are either born to be able to handle it or not!!!;)

The Old Bat
21-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi folks - sorry for adding this a while after original post. I really love memory wire and it makes great bracelets. Have tried using the necklace memory wire but only had limited success. I do jewellery parties and the memory wire are amongst my most popular pieces, they always sell well. I've even got my OH making memory wire bracelets now - he does a really great job =D>

Being made from tempered steel it is really difficult to work with. You do need heavy duty cutters - the memory wire cutters a quite expensive, so I use a pair of heavy duty cutters bought from the market £2.99 and they work really well. I've tried gluing beads to the end of the wire but they just kept falling off. I now loop the ends of the memory wire with a pair of old round nose plies - it does take some doing though. You can make is easier by holding the end of the wire in a candle flame for a few seconds until the metal glows. Then dunk it in water and it definitely helps to loop the end. You need to be careful that you don't burn your fingers, or any beads if doing this at the other end, once all your beads are in place.

Bev

julie
21-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Hi Jules, I have to admit I'm not a fan of memory wire. I struggle with it and when I glue end caps on they just seem to fall off! Also if your beads are too heavy the whole thing sags and just doesn't look right. Good luck with yours and let me know how you get on!!!

xxx justlulu

i found this when i used memory wire, you can loop the ends .. i'm not a fan :N:

Di Sandland
21-08-2009, 11:46 AM
I've had some bracelet memory wire in amongst my 'stuff' for a couple of years. After my first attempt I gave it up as a bad job.

ben b
21-08-2009, 09:32 PM

lorraineflee
23-08-2009, 09:53 AM
I did have some memory wire a while ago.....but I forgot where I put it. :ta:
The old ones are always the best!
Lorraine

agent_44
23-08-2009, 11:12 AM
I did have some memory wire a while ago.....but I forgot where I put it. :ta:

:dance: LOL!

I have memeory wire in my stash too, that I coulght ages ago when I first started making jewellery, but I guess it's not really my 'thing' now although I love the concept and idea of it, and wont get rid of it because you never know what ideas I might have in the future...

sharonb
24-08-2009, 10:20 PM
I quite like memory wire. Just made a couple of bracelets and glued end beads on using the stuff cooksons sell - careful though v fiddly and did end up gluing my fingers together! but seems to be holding