PDA

View Full Version : Those elusive Feral cats

Petal
09-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Here's a couple of snaps I took of them ... the big fluffy one is so scared of anything, that he doesn't pose for pictures like the other one does, so his piccie is a bit blurred.

This one is the least feral and, as you can see, she sneaks in for evenings on the sofa in the warm!

we love 'em.

MuranoSilver
09-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Aww that top one looks like a Halloween cat Jules
Both gorgeous!
nic x

Di Sandland
09-10-2009, 03:00 PM
They're lovely, Jules.

Back when the kids were small, Tom was desperate for a cat so off we went to the cats protection league to get him one.

We came home with two - Bob and Casper - who were feral. Somebody had caught them and put them in a black bin bag. They were just about to go through the crusher at the recycling centre when somebody heard them yell.

Now, methinks that the CPL lady was telling me porkies - whoever managed to get hold of feral cats long enough to stuff em in a bin bag?

Petal
09-10-2009, 03:00 PM
He's all fluff and nothing else really! He hides under the car when we put the food out and then gradually comes out to eat. His mum (the one in the middle pic), gives him a big 'bif' round the face now and again, as he's such a wimp. It took him ages to get used to having his own bowl (they all used to share one bowl and it was a bit of a bun fight), so we bought them one each.

lesley
09-10-2009, 03:02 PM
They look friendly rather than feral. :)
On a serious note do you know if they've been neutered?

Petal
09-10-2009, 03:09 PM
I think he's so terrified 'cos they all had to be caught in a separate cage to go to the vets to be neutered and speyed. He came back minus a rather important organ, so he probably thinks when I go near him to feed him, I'm gonna take him back to the vets to have something else removed! The middle one (Beryl the Ferral!) has had the top of her ear clipped, which is what they do when they spey them (seems very cruel to me) :-O

They were here when we arrived, so we 'adopted' them and yes, they are quite friendly and don't rip your arm off, though if you go around the back of Beryl, she will hiss at you =:-O

mizgeorge
09-10-2009, 03:13 PM
I think they look lovely :)

Ours hid behind the furniture for about a month when we first got her (in Cairo). We only knew she was alive because the food went and the litter tray needed changing.

One day she emerged, having stolen an expensive cat's tail somewhere along the line.

Ten years, a very expensive air fare and six month's quarantine later, she's just a big old cushion, but we still live very much on her terms!

Petal
09-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Oh George, I know exactly what you mean. My hubby is squished at one end of the sofa, so the cat can stretch out! We don't put the rubbish out for recycling until they have been fed, in case it scares them and and ... need I say more :-"

lesley
09-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Ha ha, they've got you sussed! :)

Petal
09-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Do you know what guys, a few hours ago I said 'I must sort out that clasp I did the other day, its not right and I want to re-do it'... ummmmm I've been on here ever since!

Di Sandland
09-10-2009, 03:31 PM
LIkewise. My 'jewellery all day' day produced exactly two very simple (btu lovely) strung necklaces. Eek

caroleallen
09-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Aww! There was a feral tom cat in our neighbourhood for ages but he was a pain because he terrorised all the other cats, who were terrified of him. He also kept coming through our cat-flap and spraying everywhere, so the place stank all the time. One day we decided we'd had enough so managed to catch him, though be fought back bravely. We took him to the vet to be neutered but it was discovered that he had FIV (cat equivalent of HIV) so they put him down. As I'd forgotten to keep up the jabs for our cats, the vet said they probably had FIV too. They're only young, so it may be a while before they show signs.

Di Sandland
09-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Aw, Carol, that's dreadful! What will happen to your cats?

Emerald
09-10-2009, 06:42 PM
This was my sisters cat that she aquired soon after returning from Kos and getting her own place, he apparently was a taster for whiskers food and his tongue stuck out all the time but not long after she had him she found lumps and even though he was operated on a couple of times he died another cat has now adopted her but she seems to be constantly in the vets with him aswell, i think they see her coming.

Petal
09-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Ah Carol, I do hope your cats dom't have FIV, as its very upsetting when they are ill, or when they have to be put down (as our last one was). [-o<

xx

caroleallen
09-10-2009, 09:04 PM
We'll just have to wait and see. We don't really want to have them tested as we'd rather not know. They could go on for years before they show any signs.

Di Sandland
09-10-2009, 09:06 PM
That's the problems with animals - they always break your heart :(

The Dragon
09-10-2009, 09:22 PM
I still prefer their company to a lot of humans though! :)