PDA

View Full Version : New video :)

mobeus
09-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Hi, just letting you all know I've uploaded a new video on youtube, what do you think?

YouTube - Replacing the claw on a princess cut diamond solitaire (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9OzSMERr9w)

Edit: The video now works! YouTube have finished processing :D

geti-titanium
09-10-2009, 02:40 PM
I shall be sitting here ready in open boweled anticipation :D

mobeus
09-10-2009, 02:45 PM
Haha, I really like this one actually, my son makes all the videos for me, hurry up YouTube :P

I like all the suspense at the moment, I have a new video! but you can't see it yet.. :-D

mobeus
09-10-2009, 02:46 PM
Amazing work, one day (in about 20 years) I will be at this level (hopefully).

It's been 5 months and 2 days since I picked up my first rawhide mallet and I am hooked. :Y:

I can't blame you, it's a fascinating trade and you never stop learning :)

mobeus
09-10-2009, 02:54 PM
Thankyou, I really enjoyed that project, it was very challenging at times, but I was extremely proud of the results, plus the customer was happy, so all was good :)

mobeus
09-10-2009, 03:00 PM
The video works now :)

pauljoels
09-10-2009, 07:30 PM
That's great - always really good to watch a good quality video of those who know what they are doing! When I first started making jewellery I screwed up a prong on the setting for my OH's engagement ring, and it took me ages to mend - I just wasn't skilled enough with the torch etc. Got there in the end though! Keep us posted on any more you put up. I'll be taking a look at some of your others later this weekend too.

WitchfordSilver
10-10-2009, 11:54 AM
i've seen loads of good videos on "Ganoskin" that have made me get up and try something new.

Maybe Cooksons should add a video section to the forum?

Jayne
10-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Wow Mark!
I've just spent more time than I would care to admit to watching your amazing utube offerings.......
:worthy: is all I can say!
really facinating stuff & loved the music - I guess you're not going to be paying anything the the PRS ;)
J x

Di Sandland
10-10-2009, 12:51 PM
And, from my 'real' job as a web writer, I know that videos tend to draw in lots of peeps!

ben b
10-10-2009, 09:41 PM
May I just point out, to the beginners watching this claw tipping video clip, that with my 20 years of experience, to approach a diamond with a torch like the one used, and not a mouth blown torch has risks, and is not what i was taught.
However, following the links to this jewellers website, you will see its a fantastic site, and all proffessional stuff...so, as the repair job video'd obviously worked, i will stand corrected, but i just want to warn begginner jewellers, not to approach a diamond with a micro weld or similar torch as in the video, as if it did have natural fissures, there would have been an expensive insurance claim......

mobeus
11-10-2009, 01:43 PM
May I just point out, to the beginners watching this claw tipping video clip, that with my 20 years of experience, to approach a diamond with a torch like the one used, and not a mouth blown torch has risks, and is not what i was taught.
However, following the links to this jewellers website, you will see its a fantastic site, and all proffessional stuff...so, as the repair job video'd obviously worked, i will stand corrected, but i just want to warn begginner jewellers, not to approach a diamond with a micro weld or similar torch as in the video, as if it did have natural fissures, there would have been an expensive insurance claim......

Hi Ben,
Ah yes maybe I should have put a warning on the video not to be tried by beginners because it takes years of practice to be able to do a job like that
but to be honest I was taught to re-tip with an oxy-propane torch, never used a blow torch and I would solder a claw to a ring with a diamond in it all day with or without flaws. The trick is to keep the flame moving and solder the claw on quickly and accurately and never let the heat concentrate in one area or frosting is most likely to occur... in a busy repair workshop you don't have time to remove stones and tip and reset, I would treat sapphires, rubies, garnets and even c.z's the same way if you practice the technique on c.z's over and over you will be able to completely re-tip a c.z cluster without breaking any stones which is highly skilled soldering, but as Ben says this is not for beginners so practice hard.. :)