PDA

View Full Version : Fire

amberdragon
08-10-2009, 04:17 PM
I hope everyone is okay - I saw the chimney go up from the Jewellery School and it looked pretty scary, so I hope all is okay considering.
=:-O

ahunter
08-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Yes thankfully everyone is OK...

Hopefully normal service will resume tomorrow. We will provide updates on-line and on the forum tomorrow if any services are impacted.

Regards

Adam Hunter
E-Commerce Manager

MuranoSilver
08-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Thank goodness - so glad to hear no-one was hurt []

bustagasket
08-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Yes it is indeed fortunate that nobody was hurt. I put an order in today, how typical. LOL

Cookies you need to give Dick Van Dyke a ring and have your chimneys swept!

"Chim-chimeney, chim-chimeney, chim-chin charoo! :D

omg now i will spend the evening imagining J prancing around doing a dick van dyke impersonation!!!

Di Sandland
08-10-2009, 05:52 PM
I can do a better cockney accent that Dick. :D

As a born and bred Cockney, Jay, let me tell you that anybody can do a better cockney accent than Dick. A very aptly named chap, if you ask me.

bustagasket
08-10-2009, 06:00 PM
lmao my mum and borther are true cockneys, my dad was born in West Ham, and my sister and i are only Greater Londoners - having been born in Romford (and yes i have heard all the Essex girl jokes thanks :-p)

Jayne
08-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Glad everyone at Cookson is okay :)
J x

Di Sandland
08-10-2009, 06:27 PM
lmao my mum and borther are true cockneys, my dad was born in West Ham, and my sister and i are only Greater Londoners - having been born in Romford (and yes i have heard all the Essex girl jokes thanks :-p)

I was born in Whitechapel and when I did my family history I found that my mum's side of the family had lived within the same square mile for 5 generations!

Oh, and I'm married to a Rainham boy!

bustagasket
08-10-2009, 06:31 PM
Woot good old Rainham :D

lorraineflee
08-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Woot good old Rainham :D
My mum and dad both lived in Rainham in their youth, then got married and moved to Luton!

Di Sandland
08-10-2009, 06:37 PM
We moved to Luton when I was a kid - well, Dunstable. We were part of the London overspill in the late 50's when the pulled all the slums down. My mum never really got over it.

bustagasket
08-10-2009, 06:39 PM
we moved to east sussex when i was 6 cos my dads job relocated to Hastings

bustagasket
08-10-2009, 07:45 PM
My Dad is an Eastender, born in East Ham (worked for The Times for 35 years, news international) as were my older brother and sister. My mother is from Islington although she lived in Malta for 9 years and was part of the first family to live in Germany after the 2nd World War (grandad was posted there as he was in the army for over 30 years and a desert rat (still have his hat badge) in the Butcher Of Belsons old house (true fact there) and I was born in Dagenham and before moving to Kent we lived in Brentwood Road, Romford, so I too am an Essex Boy. LOL

omg we were both in romford lmao no wonder we get on so well lol

Solunar Silver Studio
09-10-2009, 07:10 AM
:threadjacked:This thread seems to have taken a rather strange path!! :0to+:
Well - not about the fire anyway!

I was born in Stepney...(Mile End Hospital if it still exists!)....my Mum's family was from Clerkenwell and surrounding areas (and were 'in The Print') and my Dad's family was from Stepney. I was brought up in Abbey Wood. Then moved not far from Di and Lorraine in Luton/Dunstable...Well Harpenden actually but only a couple of miles from Luton! My hubby was born in Fulham.

I never really lost my accent - and can still turn heads here now where practically everybody has a scouse accent!! And my daughters can talk in either!!

It is a small world really isn't it!!:-D

ahunter
09-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Due to a serious incident at our Birmingham offices, no orders were despatched yesterday (8/10).

Normal service has now been resumed, with all orders being despatched today.

Di Sandland
09-10-2009, 07:48 AM
but only a couple of miles from Luton

well, in distance maybe, Bee! Very posh - we aspired to Harpenden!

Mile End hospital was still there when my nan died there back in 1985 but I haven't been back since. I was born in the London, just down the road. Small world indeed - my family were in tailoring. Well, being in Whitechapel, they would be, wouldn't they ;)

Petal
09-10-2009, 10:27 AM
I'm an Essex girl too :-p Right by the sea at Burnham on Crouch and my OH was born in Stockwell. I used to go shopping at Romford market on many a Saturday, as it was the only bit of civilisation nearest to BOC. :-D

I have a bit of a connection with Mile End Hospital... My father in law was born there, my mum died there and I had quite a bit of nose work done there =:-O (I fell off a wall aged 7 and broke my nose!) Its a real grim looking hospital with very thick walls, but lovely kind caring nurses and doctors.

bustagasket
09-10-2009, 01:26 PM
romford market has always been the best - the church in the middle of the market is where my mum and dad got married - there is ieven a woman in the background of one of their photos buying her spuds lmao

I have always been put off markets down here cos they didnt measure up to romford lol

Di Sandland
09-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Ah, our local market was Petticoat Lane. Wonderful place. My Uncle Ben bought me a budgerigar there. Sadly, the cat got it.

Petal
09-10-2009, 01:33 PM
I used to go to Petticoat lane market in my lunch-hour. Fantastic and the characters you saw were unforgettable!

lorraineflee
09-10-2009, 02:07 PM
I used to go to Petticoat lane market in my lunch-hour. Fantastic and the characters you saw were unforgettable!
So did I when I had a real job (before lecturing) and worked in the City!
I still get withdrawal symptoms if I venture up that way during the week! (Sad or what!!!)
Lorraine

pauljoels
09-10-2009, 02:18 PM
I was a cockney born boy, but I don't think I don't remember Petticoat Lane much from then (although I have been a few times in recent years) - I do however, remember Brick Lane which is where I was taken a lot. And when we go down to London now, we try to get over there to buy some of the best baegels (you cannot get proper baegels in Nottingham...), I know, it's sad!

Petal
09-10-2009, 02:19 PM
I have many fond memories of the City. I was 17, it was my first job and I loved it (commutted up from Essex on the train) and we used to go to the pub every lunchtime - at Xmas we'd all go on a massive pub crawl with the Managers would get also pissed and be a right laugh (they were a real stuck up lot usually) - the music was fab too. I also remember that anyone who was getting married would be decorated with a huge paper hat thing and some trailing cans.. odd but true!

Good grief, we have gone off topic, haven't we!

lesley
09-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Stottie cakes, black pudding, first footing, mills, pit ponies, Northumbrian coast, pubs. Sorry, it was getting a bit too southern in here.
I'll keep the whippets and flat caps for emergencies. :D

Di Sandland
09-10-2009, 02:22 PM
I was a cockney born boy, but I don't think I don't remember Petticoat Lane much from then (although I have been a few times in recent years) - I do however, remember Brick Lane which is where I was taken a lot. And when we go down to London now, we try to get over there to buy some of the best baegels (you cannot get proper baegels in Nottingham...), I know, it's sad!

No. It. Is. Not. Sad. Bagels bought in the supermaket just aren't like those from Kossoffs or the Bagel Shop. Anyway, I preferred Platzels ;)

I lived just off Brick Lane, a place called Woodseer Street, in an old tenement block building known as Pelham Buildings. The Truemans tower, err, towered over everything and we all played in the central square that we called the Airey.

Actually, depending on your age, we might have been childhood friends!

pauljoels
09-10-2009, 02:29 PM
I know all those places, but probably not from your days Di - I'm probably a little too young (no offence intended!) it's down to my dads side of the family that we went there when I was a child as they were Indian Jews who moved to London in the 50's I think (mother was Irish Catholic to cause confusion!). But then I moved to Manchester when I was 6, so I think I qualify as a northerner too...

Petal
09-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Stottie cakes, black pudding, first footing, mills, pit ponies, Northumbrian coast, pubs. Sorry, it was getting a bit too southern in here.

Funny that, cos although I was born in the south, we do have connections to the north (my parents were from 'up north'). We went to see some outlaws recently in Grimsby and eee by gum it was like travelling back in time, to my Nan's place where she used to give us tea with bicarbonate of soda in =:-O and for lunch we'd have a big flat round yorkshire pudding and gravy and then a roast beef dinner by 'eck.

Di Sandland
09-10-2009, 02:40 PM
Tee hee, none taken Paul. I was born in 1954 and left the East End in 1964 with the London overspill. My grandparents couldn't be moved and had to eventually be thrown out of Pelham Bldgs. They were rehoused in a modern, souless but bed-bug free place in Mile End.

My grandad was a bespoke tailor and would sit cross legged on his work-room table sewing fine seams while I played with the buttons in the button box. Seen in sepia tones it was wonderful but the reality was a little more stark than that

Di Sandland
09-10-2009, 02:42 PM

I used to imagine I came from Northumberland cos thats where my favourite books (about ballet dancers) were set. The north seemed so romantic.

pauljoels
09-10-2009, 02:45 PM
I used to imagine I came from Northumberland cos thats where my favourite books (about ballet dancers) were set. The north seemed so romantic.

Seemed? I believe some of the most romantic and picturesque places are in the north. I used to love showing off the north to my Londoner friends who thought nothing but coal mines existed above the Watford Gap! Particularly the Lakes...and I can't wait to go there again just before this Xmas.

lesley
09-10-2009, 02:51 PM
Funny that, cos although I was born in the south, we do have connections to the north (my parents were from 'up north'). We went to see some outlaws recently in Grimsby and eee by gum it was like travelling back in time, to my Nan's place where she used to give us tea with bicarbonate of soda in =:-O and for lunch we'd have a big flat round yorkshire pudding and gravy and then a roast beef dinner by 'eck.

I'm a mixture too. All northern apart from my maternal grandfather's family who lived in a small village called Filby in Norflolk for hundreds of years. One of them left at the time of the industrial revolution and that was that.

We visited a few years ago and the churchyard is full of my dead relatives. A very moving experience.

Di, I miss the sea......I always miss the sea.......and the rather unromantic smell of coal fires.

lesley
09-10-2009, 02:52 PM
I've never heard of bicarb in tea though??

Petal
09-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Oh it was horrible tasting tea, we all had to say 'yes please' and hated it, oh and the slobbery kisses you always get from granny's - yuk. Oh and she had a rocking chair which, when she died, we discovered was half the size, as she always put an extra cover on it 'to protect it and keep it for best'!