PDA

View Full Version : Making earwires/hooks

Milomade
16-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Hey all

I was going to buy a load of earwires/hooks for the earrings I'm making at the moment, but figured out it should be easy enough to make them. Anyone got any tips for me...like how to get them all the same, recomended length of wire to cut, should I hammer them etc

Milomade
16-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Also - how do you stop round nose pliers putting dents into your wire? I'm getting marks all over the place and don't know how to avoid that or get rid of them.

AlexandraBuckle
16-07-2009, 06:51 PM
I think you can get little plastic covers to put over the tips of your pliers...?

Anyone know where you can get them - been on the lookout for them myself...

The Bijou Dragon
16-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Roll your wire around some 1 inch dowel until you get a spring like tube.

Slide the wire off the dowel and snip off complete rings.

Make a loop on one of the ends and kink out about 4 - 5mm of the other end to enable you to get the hook through your ear.

Make sure you file down the end going through your ear until it is smooth as it can be very sharp. I use a cup burr and a dremel to do this.

Should end up looking something like these ear-wires here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stripypixiesocks/3527587217/in/set-72157620811750655/

The ones with the white cat's eye beads were done with inch round dowel and the others were a jar I had lying around.

Cheap, quick and above all don'ts scratch like the other kinds of ear-wires do (imho)

SilverByRosie
16-07-2009, 07:02 PM
I use a jig to make my ear wires. You just put the pegs where you want them and wind the wire round. Easy!
I bought my jig, but you can make one with a bit of wood and some nails.

You should definitely harden them in some way. Tumbling them is best, but if you haven't got a tumbler hammering them will do.

~Rosie

Milomade
16-07-2009, 09:46 PM
I think you can get little plastic covers to put over the tips of your pliers...?

eh? How's that going to help? surely it will make your round nose pliers thicket, so you can't make small loops in your wire and you'll still be using the same amount of pressure, so won't the marks still appear?

Trudy
17-07-2009, 01:06 AM
There is also a jar of stuff you can buy called 'tool magic' which you dip the ends of the pliers in to and it makes a thin rubber coating on the tips to protect wires etc. Its from America but you can get it on Ebay sometimes. You can peal it off again once youre finished.

Or you can wrap them in a thin layer of masking tape

AlexandraBuckle
17-07-2009, 08:33 AM
eh? How's that going to help? surely it will make your round nose pliers thicket, so you can't make small loops in your wire and you'll still be using the same amount of pressure, so won't the marks still appear?

I've not used them myself, but I do remember seeing them somewhere.

They would make your pliers a bit thicker I guess, but I think the idea is that you mark the plastic not your work as the plastic is less hard then the silver. I assumed that the plastic may also spring back into shape - but as i say, not used them myself, so i'm not sure.

Milomade
17-07-2009, 09:04 AM
Oh I get it - that makes sense. I'll see if ai can find anything on the CG site. Mind you I like the sound of Tool Magic - that sounds great. I do remember seeing some images online of a set of pliers with blue rubber stuff on the ends.

Milomade
17-07-2009, 09:27 AM
I just found some on ebay and ordered it.

The Bijou Dragon
17-07-2009, 12:58 PM
The plastic tipped ones usually are specially made so they replace the metal instead of a sheath being put over the top (from what I can see)

I have acrylic jawed pliers which don't have metal jaws per-se just a bolt on acrylic part.

Hope that ramble helped lol :D

MuranoSilver
17-07-2009, 04:47 PM
You could just call them "organic"
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/nothingtoadd.gif
Nicola xx

Milomade
17-07-2009, 04:50 PM
I made some last night and was just really careful to be really light with my hold with the pliers. I'm hammering them at the moment and really pleased with the results - will post up images when they're done.

MuranoSilver
17-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Come on then Milo - I want to see your new earwires!!
http://www.muranosilver.com/images/worthlesswithout.gif
Nic x

Ominicci
18-07-2009, 05:48 PM
I have been trying to find Tool Magic everywhere! Palmers used to stock it but it had to be delivered by courier apparently because it comes under the hazardous category!! Have recently found out that some hardware stores may stock it under the name of 'Plastidip' but I haven't looked for that yet.

I use a mandrel tool to make my ear wire large loops shape and then use round nose lpiers to make the litlle hanging loops. I think it is just trial and error when bending wire with pliers. Most books and mags say 'you don't have to hold the pliers as hard as you think you should' but I get little marks on some bends too...

Ominicci
18-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Hmmm found PlastiDip they have their own website but £4 delivery charge makes the product £9 total. Will get the tool magic from e-bay. Thanks Milo!

MuranoSilver
18-07-2009, 11:02 PM
And the pictures?? *peers round expectantly :D
nicx

Milomade
19-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply - been really busy...making earrings to be precise. I took a load of images of my ear wires the other evening, but as it was under by table light, they came out crap. I've just taken some images of my latest earrings though and if you check out this blogpost:

http://www.milomade.co.uk/blog/2009/07/a-new-range-of-silver-button-earrings/

You'll be able to see the ear wires in action, so to speak.
Would love your comments and opinions.

AlexandraBuckle
19-07-2009, 06:23 PM
They are looking great!

MuranoSilver
19-07-2009, 07:18 PM
They are fabulous- I adore the red squared off buttons & might need them for my ears!! :D
Nicola x

SilverByRosie
19-07-2009, 07:50 PM
I really like those. Just a little bit different from the standard shape and it works well!

And I'm going to have to agree with MuranoSilver about the red buttons. Very tempting :)

~Rosie

Milomade
19-07-2009, 07:52 PM
thanks for the lovely comments - the deep red goes really well with the silver. I really like the shape of those ones. My favourite are the light blue ones with the concentric circles and I might have to hold on to them.

I'm hopefully handing these over to a shop in Fife on Wednesday to sell, but not sure if they'll take them as they normally stock my non-silver stuff - i.e the cheap and cheerful range. Will have to see what they say and if they don't take them I'll list them in my online shop instead and there's another potential stockist I want to approach with my silver work so lots of options.

Milomade
19-07-2009, 08:00 PM
So getting back to the main topic - what do you think of my earwires?

MuranoSilver
19-07-2009, 08:26 PM
I love your earwires & what do you mean you're sending my earrings to a shop in fife?? :p
"Rosie step away from those earrings, they're mine I tell you, mine...."
***Goes back to picture & licks screen
"See I licked em now, that makes em mine!" (well it works with biscuits)
Nic x

Milomade
19-07-2009, 08:29 PM
:D Ahem...sorry...didn't realise that was you showing genuine interest in them...I'll maybe better just put those aside to list in my own shop then had I?

MuranoSilver
19-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Yes please, or just send me a PM and I'll pay you via paypal :D

SilverByRosie
19-07-2009, 09:46 PM
"See I licked em now, that makes em mine!" (well it works with biscuits)

Biscuits, buttons? Practically the same thing :P Although I suspect biscuits wouldn't look so good in earrings...

~Rosie

MuranoSilver
19-07-2009, 10:15 PM
I dunno Victoria Mason makes some lovely biscuit earrings (http://www.victoriamason.com/shop/products/nice_er.htm)...
http://www.victoriamason.com/shop/images/NiceERdetail.png

Nic x

AlexandraBuckle
20-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Wow - actually biscuit earrings! Cool.

Why are my ears not pierced yet...?

As for original question - your ear wires look great, hand made ones always look much better imho.
Though I'm not an expert on ear wires - will start to make my own when I can test them in my own ears :)
(if I am ever brave enough to get them done!)

Petal
20-07-2009, 09:21 AM
I think your earwires are beautiful, as is all of your jewellery. :)I agree with AlexandraBuckle that they look so much nicer than mass-produced ones.

Go on Alex, have your ears done - you won't regret it. I also love the Victoria Mason biccie earrings too, they are really cool!:)

MuranoSilver
20-07-2009, 09:22 AM
Alexandra - go and get them done it only pinches for a second
and think of all the showing off of your beautiful goodies you can do!

Yes those hand madeones do look better than bulk buy :D
nic x

Milomade
20-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Get them done - definitely!

The Bijou Dragon
20-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Oooh I'm not usually a great fan of button jewellery but they are really cute!! The ear wires are lovely to boot... well done you *thumbs up* :D

julie
20-07-2009, 11:01 AM
they look great ...

AlexandraBuckle
20-07-2009, 12:01 PM
Go on Alex, have your ears done - you won't regret it.

Alexandra - go and get them done it only pinches for a second
and think of all the showing off of your beautiful goodies you can do!

Get them done - definitely!

Ooh a bit of peer pressure! Thats what i need :D
I really am considering it at the mo cos I'm getting married in Sept and might want to wear some pretties.

Sorry I keep letting the threads go off topic btw :o

MuranoSilver
20-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Ahh so it's peer pressure you wanted is it??
OK it takes about 4-6 weeks before you change the studs so go get them done now!!! :D

Now back on topic...
Have you got your dippy stuff for tipping your pliers yet Milo?
Nic x

AlexandraBuckle
20-07-2009, 02:03 PM
OK it takes about 4-6 weeks before you change the studs so go get them done now!!! :D

Really - i'd better get on with it then!

Milomade
20-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Yes I ordered some tool magic off an ebayer and it amazingly arrived the following day...unlike boxes I ordered for my earrings last Wednesday which have only been shipped today [grrr].

I dipped the pliers in once and left it to set. Used them on some wire and they still marked, so I dipped again and left them to set and this time they were more rubbery and didn't mark the wire, but it didn't last very long as the pressure from the wire digs into the rubber and eventually cuts a groove.

So now what I'm doing is dipping one end of the pliers, not both and will use the rubberised one for twisting the wire and the non ruberised one on the inner and see how that works out...Still waiting for them to dry before I can test the theory

This stuff I've got is white, but the ebay listing said 'clear' and I've also seen blue stuff - nto sure what the difference is.

SilverByRosie
20-07-2009, 07:07 PM
I guess I was wrong. Biscuits do look good as earrings.

But now I want to eat biscuits. Can't win 'em all.

~Rosie

Ominicci
20-07-2009, 11:31 PM
If it was the same ebayer I ordered my Tool Magic from then the jar looked clear (I actually thought it was an empty jar) but strangely I would prefer it to be coloured in some way.

Ear wires are great - very consistent sizing by the look of it Milo.

Milomade
22-07-2009, 07:36 PM
Thanks for everyones help and advice on my earwires etc. My stockist took 5 pairs of my earrings this morning to sell in here shop and she suggested a price of £28 as she thought £25 was too low for the kind of customers she gets in - chuffed to bits.

AlexandraBuckle
23-07-2009, 08:21 AM
yay! thats great, hope they sell well for you!

Ominicci
23-07-2009, 08:52 AM
Well done :D !!

MuranoSilver
23-07-2009, 09:03 AM
and soon one of Milomades pretties will be in my own lugs!!
"I'll get you my pretties if it's the last thing I do"
* adopts Witch of the West stance and cackles manically

Nic x

myke
23-07-2009, 11:31 AM
why not buy earwires?

Milomade
23-07-2009, 11:34 AM
because they're pricey and as they're generic they don't give your earrings a 'unique' style - I thin kit's better to make your own and as I've found it's quite easy to do and also I can develop a personal style of them that is unique to me.

julie
23-07-2009, 01:09 PM
there is nothing more satisfying then making everything from scratch all your own work don't you think :D they looking good ..

Atelier Ava
24-07-2009, 10:27 AM
I had the same problem and now use pliers with flat ends, no more marks :)
Paula

silver Girl
26-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Hey all

I was going to buy a load of earwires/hooks for the earrings I'm making at the moment, but figured out it should be easy enough to make them. Anyone got any tips for me...like how to get them all the same, recomended length of wire to cut, should I hammer them etc

hi,
I found a video that show you how to make earwires , I hope this help you :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEZuAIBvapY

Di Sandland
27-07-2009, 04:10 AM
Milo, I know exactly what you mean about making everything. I now make all my own hook and s shaped fasteners - individual, much cheaper and far more cost effective :cool:

Di x

Milomade
27-07-2009, 09:59 AM
I just ordered one of those jig things as I want to make a load of figure of 8 or s shape loops and think that'll speed up the process for me.

snow_imp
11-09-2009, 10:39 AM
Hi Milo - I loved your button earings and you're right about hand made ear wires being better. I have a stock of premade ones that I'm using up now and then I'll go back to making my own. My bigest problem is filing the end but I've got a set of mini files now so they should help.

Let me know how you get on with the jig as I've been thinking of getting one myself.

Di Sandland
11-09-2009, 10:55 AM
Snow Imp - Milomade hasn't posted for a while, so I thought I'd jump in and give you my view on said jig.

I hated it - it sits unloved and uncared for on my shelf. I find it much easier to use knitting needles for mandrels and make my curves that way.

agent_44
11-09-2009, 10:58 AM
I spent a load of money on a jig and never use it, hate the thing! FOund it hard to maipulate the wire, as the jog woudl get in the way. I shall shortly be listing it on eBay or etsy as part of a big supplies and tools declutter!

You can use anything for a mandrel aslong as it's the right shape like as Di says, knitting needls, I quite often use pens and other things like that.

Milomade
11-09-2009, 11:02 AM
been nusy with web work and not been doing much jewellery for the past month or so - hence my absence. Still incredibly busy, but going to have to get back into jewellery as my evening classes start a week today - yikes!

I got the jig eventually - weeks and weeks after I'd ordered it as they didn't have any stock at the time. To be honest I've not used it yet - don't think the instructions are very good - they don't explain what all the components are and how to use them so will be looking online for more info soon. I get the idea that you put the little metal posts into the holes, but what are all the little plastic tube bits for???

Will let you know how I get on once I start using it.

agent_44
11-09-2009, 11:03 AM
The tubes fit over the pegs, some tubes with large holes fit over smallert tubes, so you can make larger circles to wrap your wire around.

Milomade
11-09-2009, 11:10 AM
the reason I bought it was to make figure of eight loops quickly and easily as making these individually by hand using pliers takes time and also marks the wire - I want to be able to set up the jig so that I can wind wire round the metal posts and form about 5 at a time and then cut the wire with my flush cutter and be done with it - no marking from the pliers and lots made quickly.

Whether it works out or not, I've yet to find out, but I'm not feeling very positive now that I've heard two of you moan about the device.

Solunar Silver Studio
11-09-2009, 11:23 AM
Reading this thread reminded me of a website I put in my bookmarks months ago. I haven't really looked at it since, but I know I was quite impressed at the time as it gave loads of detailed instructions of working with wire and jigs. Just thought you might be interested...it says there are about 2,000 pages of instructions... so be prepared!!
WigJig University - Free Jewelry Making Designs using Beads and Wire (http://www.wigjig.com/jewelry-tools/)

MuranoSilver
11-09-2009, 11:25 AM
I spent a load of money on a jig and never use it, hate the thing! FOund it hard to maipulate the wire, as the jog woudl get in the way. I shall shortly be listing it on eBay or etsy as part of a big supplies and tools declutter!

You can use anything for a mandrel aslong as it's the right shape like as Di says, knitting needls, I quite often use pens and other things like that.

Ebay has a free listing day on the 13th Sep :)

Petal
11-09-2009, 11:26 AM
I bought a mini versio of the jig a while ago and thought it was awful, until I realised (after watching a YouTube vid.) that you move the jig, not the wire. I've been doing a bit of wrapping lately and will go back to the jig, once I've sorted out a few paperwork thingies I've got outstanding. I think they would be good for repetitive links that you want to do....

Love your clouds BTW... absolutely lovely lovely lovely!

Let us know how you get on.

lotsaluv
Julesx

Milomade
11-09-2009, 11:30 AM
very annoying to navigate and find what you're looking for, but lots of useful tip sof there so thanks for the link.

Emerald
11-09-2009, 11:36 AM
Milomade, not sure if these have been metioned sorry if it has but have you a pair of half round pliers one half round the other flat i use these to make jumprings etc and because the one side is flat it doesent mark.

agent_44
11-09-2009, 11:48 AM
the reason I bought it was to make figure of eight loops quickly and easily as making these individually by hand using pliers takes time and also marks the wire - I want to be able to set up the jig so that I can wind wire round the metal posts and form about 5 at a time and then cut the wire with my flush cutter and be done with it - no marking from the pliers and lots made quickly.

Whether it works out or not, I've yet to find out, but I'm not feeling very positive now that I've heard two of you moan about the device.

Sorry :( You might find that you get on with it, sounds like you will be using it differently to the way I did.

Ebay has a free listing day on the 13th Sep :)

Ooh thanks for that! :)

Ominicci
11-09-2009, 11:52 AM
Jules - thanks for the tip about moving the jig not the wire - will use that in my classes!!!

snow_imp
11-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Hm, not sure if I still want to try using a jig - although I do know a couple of people who've made their own using a lump of wood and a few nails for particular patterns they want to create. Maybe I'll try that instead.

Thanks for the info. :D

Milomade
11-09-2009, 12:37 PM
I did that initially and found it inflexible - firstly it took me ages to find nails with the right girth, but once banged into the wood there was no way of changing it - I also had to saw off the top of the nails once banged into the wood so I could easily get the wire off after creating my loop - all too much faff and so I thought the jig wouldbe the perfect solution.

Di Sandland
11-09-2009, 01:10 PM
Reading this thread reminded me of a website I put in my bookmarks months ago. I haven't really looked at it since, but I know I was quite impressed at the time as it gave loads of detailed instructions of working with wire and jigs. Just thought you might be interested...it says there are about 2,000 pages of instructions... so be prepared!!
WigJig University - Free Jewelry Making Designs using Beads and Wire (http://www.wigjig.com/jewelry-tools/)

This was the site that made me decide I just couldn't live without a jig. Right...

snow_imp
11-09-2009, 01:52 PM
I did that initially and found it inflexible - firstly it took me ages to find nails with the right girth, but once banged into the wood there was no way of changing it - I also had to saw off the top of the nails once banged into the wood so I could easily get the wire off after creating my loop - all too much faff and so I thought the jig wouldbe the perfect solution.

Okay maybe not - it sounds even worse than the others made it sound when they talked about it. I'll stick with the knitting needles and pliers for now. Thanks

Boo
11-09-2009, 03:30 PM
I haven't read all of the pages of this thread, so it may already have been touched on, so apologies if it has.

I made my own jig initially with various found objects nailed in place for the shapes I wanted, but I then bought some bail pliers - one half is 6mm and the other 8mm - just straight rods. I make my earwires with them, as well as bails and all manner of other shapes. They are possibly one of my most used tools and one of the things I'd put up a real fight if you tried to take it off me. I also have a couple of tubes (pen barrels etc.), that I can slide over to get larger diameters too.

I make all my own wires, loops and rings etc. these days - I like the idea of being able to label pieces 'entirely hand crafted'. I make a batch of my more popular shapes watching a movie or something. When I get short, I make some more. I always make a pair together so they match - being hand made they vary a little - and work and store in batches of 5 pairs - few enough that you can match each pair easily. Each batch of 5 gets hammered together, filed and goes in the tumbler wired together.

Boo
11-09-2009, 03:36 PM
I also have a pair of these from Cooksons - they're not as consistently round as my Bead Smith ones, but they get used a lot too - they compliment the others as they're different sizes:

Multi-sized Looping Pliers - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/product_detail.jsp?prod_search=999+CB12&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=submit)

snow_imp
11-09-2009, 04:06 PM
I also have a pair of these from Cooksons - they're not as consistently round as my Bead Smith ones, but they get used a lot too - they compliment the others as they're different sizes:

Multi-sized Looping Pliers - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/product_detail.jsp?prod_search=999+CB12&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=submit)

Wow, never seen pliers like that - I may have to invest in some.

My shopping list keeps getting longer.

Boo
11-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Luckily I was given some birthday money at the beginning of this year and that was one of the I used them on. I use them for jump rings (when you just need a few) and making things like these cord ends - much, much easier than trying to work with tapered round pliers:

necklace6053f on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/boojewels/3836633759/)

emroyjewels
31-10-2009, 09:46 PM
I know it's a bit late as this thread is about a month old - but if anyone has a jig they don't use going spare, I might be interested! Have been considering buying one for a while, and am willing to pay a reasonable price to give it a shot. PM me if you have one gathering dust and I'll take it off your hands!

Solunar Silver Studio
01-11-2009, 07:58 AM
I don't know if you mean the ez earwire jig thing that specifically makes earwires - but if you just want the normal kind of wire jig Cooksons are doing the deluxe version for a tenner - Deluxe Thing-a-ma-jig - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/Stringing-and-Craft/NEW-Deluxe-Thing-a-ma-jig-ONLY-9.99-prcode-999-0934)
The basic version is pretty reasonably priced as well but I don't think it offers so much scope.

Mystic
01-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Hi just been reading bout the thingma jig, I got the very basic one, which I found to be horrible to use, so it's laying on the top shelf of my work station. I can't complain tho, coz it was very cheap, so maybe the more expensive one will work better. Anyway good luck in whichever way you decide.:Y:

Petal
01-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Hi just been reading bout the thingma jig, I got the very basic one, which I found to be horrible to use, so it's laying on the top shelf of my work station. I can't complain tho, coz it was very cheap, so maybe the more expensive one will work better. Anyway good luck in whichever way you decide.:Y:

I bought the basic one too and I couldn't work with it at first, then saw a tutorial on YouTube that mentioned you move the jig and not the wire. That did make a difference. However, since then I've bought some of those magical pliers that everyone else has mentioned above and they are FAB :Y: I use them all the time.

xx

vannetta
05-01-2010, 03:53 PM
Hi,

Earring hooks are easy to make. Use 0.8mm or .7mm hard silver wire and use a small rod or pencil to bend the wire to avoid marks.

What to to:
First cut each wire 5cm long and file both ends
make a little circle using the round nose pliers on one end of the wire
use either a round nose or rod to bend the wire and make the hoop shape.
use the flat nose to turn out the bottom.

In my book, The Encyclopedia of Contemporary Jewellery Making Techniques, I demonstrate how to make them using this method.

All the best,
Vannetta
Jewellery Tutor at Central St. Martins College of Art and Design
Vannetta Seecharran School of Jewellery (http://www.vannettaseecharran.com)