PDA

View Full Version : Measurements and Conversions

Bigwol
07-10-2009, 09:04 PM
I found the product codes for silver tube didn't give any idea of the sizes tube wall thickness etc, so I made a credit card sized visual aid in Corel Draw showing me all the different sizes available, I've found it useful, so I thought I would share it here.

Each tube product is listed as a picture of the cross section, Product code, Outside diameter in mm and Inside diameter in mm.

eg (picture) RSA 005 5.3 2.6

If you scale it to print out the same size as a credit card, the sizes are accurate,

Note - While all members of the Cookson gold forums are welcome to print it out for personal use, I retain copyright for all other purposes.

If you want to use it elsewhere email me first.

Cheers - Dave

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/DaveWallisPics/tubesize/CooksonTubesCard.jpg

Bigwol
07-10-2009, 11:54 PM
To find the length of metal required to make a setting which fits perfectly around a stone of a given diameter you need to use the following formula, which incorporates the metal thickness as well as the diameter.

This also works for calculating the length of metal needed to make a ring - (same thing really). I know this formula is different from the one usually quoted but mine works . .

(Stone diameter + metal thickness) * Pi

For example, if the diameter was 18mm and the bezel metal was 0.5mm thick

18 + 0.5 = 18.5

18.5 x 3.14159 = 58.12 mm

Note that if the bezel metal was 1mm thick the length would need to increase

eg 18 + 1 = 19

19 x 3.14159 = 59.69 mm

I've found this reliable over the years

Cheers

Dave

MuranoSilver
08-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Wow now that IS useful info!

glen
26-10-2009, 11:57 AM
the formulae is based upon calculating the circumference of a circle.
diameter X 22/7 (PI)

Di Sandland
26-10-2009, 12:15 PM
PiR squared (for finding the area of a circle) was engraved on my soul with a chisel by my maths teacher over forty years ago =:-O

kymbi
26-10-2009, 02:58 PM
Cheers Dave - the conversion info is really handy :Y:

Hart-Star
18-11-2009, 09:54 AM
If you want to copy something from the screen - two tips :

1) Try Right Mouse clicking (i.e. the other button) and you should have the option of "Saving an image" as a picture into the folder of your choice on your computer

2) If it isn't embedded as a picture, you may need to copy the whole screen - Look around on your keyboard for the infrequently used "Print Screen" button. This will save a copy of the whole viewable page onto the clipboard.
- so you can now paste it into a Word document or whatever. (If you are using MS Word the picture toolbar contains the next step which is to crop the edges off,)

If you now have an image on screen inside a document, you can usually stretch it up or down to a credit card size by grabbing the corner of the image with your mouse and stretching .

MuranoSilver
04-03-2010, 07:53 AM
This saved me plenty of ordering time this morning :)
Thanks again!
nic x