PDA

View Full Version : Cookson Error when trying to pay AAARRRGGGHH

amazingbabe
07-10-2009, 02:53 PM
Can someone please please help me, i have been trying to complete a basket, pay for it and it keeps coming up with an error omg i am going to go mental =:-O=:-O=:-O:-()

agent_44
07-10-2009, 02:56 PM
The site can be a bit fragile sometimes, try closing your browser down and reopening, then try to check out again. Has worked for me in the past.

Di Sandland
07-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Same as that - exactly the same thing happened to me last night. I logged out of the Cooksons site, logged back in again. Basket still there and it went through first time.

bustagasket
07-10-2009, 03:14 PM
yeah i often get an error on the pages on the shop site unfortunately :(

mizgeorge
07-10-2009, 03:19 PM
I sometimes have to switch browser to get the payment to go through.

It always seems to work fine in Firefox, but can be a bit fragile in Chrome for me.

Di Sandland
07-10-2009, 03:21 PM
I uninstalled Chrome for that very reason George! Erm, maybe we should tell Cooksons ;)

bustagasket
07-10-2009, 03:45 PM
i uninstalled firefox too as i had troubles with my work computer and my computer engineer said that firefox habours viruses

kymbi
07-10-2009, 03:50 PM
firefox habours viruses

Does it? Oo-er, I thought it was IE that was the dodgy one, which is why I went across to Firefox...that, and it's reliability.

Di Sandland
07-10-2009, 03:53 PM
I thought it was IE too, Kym. I hate IE with a vengeance - mostly because it seemed to invite all sorts of spammy stuff into my pc.

Firefox I love. It was Google Chrome that I uninstalled.

Trudy
07-10-2009, 04:06 PM
I always have problems with the site too, I thought it was just me because I have a mac...very frustrating, especially when Im trying to pay for a basket on the last day of a freepost offer at 11.55pm because I have left it so late in the day to finish my order :">

agent_44
07-10-2009, 04:11 PM
i uninstalled firefox too as i had troubles with my work computer and my computer engineer said that firefox habours viruses

That's rubbish! No more than IE or any other Windows browser! It's the web pages that are the issue, not the blooming software!

Firefox, is considered to be far superior to IE, and widely used by all of the developers and IT bods I know. Chromes making an impact now, but as has been noticed is still quite buggy so not really suitable as your one and only browser.

agent_44
07-10-2009, 04:16 PM
That's rubbish! No more than IE or any other Windows browser! It's the web pages that are the issue, not the blooming software!

Firefox, is considered to be far superior to IE, and widely used by all of the developers and IT bods I know. Chromes making an impact now, but as has been noticed is still quite buggy so not really suitable as your one and only browser.

Sorry, didn't mean for that to sound so stroppy! It's just a rather silly notion, no offence intended. If you have decent up to date av software you should be absolutely fine with any browser.

mizgeorge
07-10-2009, 04:23 PM
I love the stripped down interface and speed of Chrome, but it still isn't supported by enough applications. It will get there though.

Otherwise I use Firefox for pretty much everthing. I've uninstalled Explorer altogether, partly because I think MS has a big enough slice of my software pie already :)

Di Sandland
07-10-2009, 04:24 PM
. I've uninstalled Explorer altogether, partly because I think MS has a big enough slice of my software pie already :)

Likewise....

caroleallen
07-10-2009, 04:43 PM
I use a Mac and it won't work on Safari but usually works eventually on Firefox. Strangely though, the forum works perfectly on Safari.

geti-titanium
07-10-2009, 04:57 PM
I'm an Opera fan myself

agent_44
07-10-2009, 05:40 PM
I've uninstalled Explorer altogether, partly because I think MS has a big enough slice of my software pie already :)

I'm not a fan of IE but have to keep it installed for website testing purposes unfortunately!

bustagasket
07-10-2009, 06:30 PM
Sorry, didn't mean for that to sound so stroppy! It's just a rather silly notion, no offence intended. If you have decent up to date av software you should be absolutely fine with any browser.

No probs Luce, i know nothing so i can but take his advice :)

Kalorlo
07-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Opera is lovely these days :-D

(I finally stopped using Safari because I was sick of no built-in adblocking).

The Dragon
07-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Ok guys an interesting debate. Small problem however, I've only ever knew Dos or various forms of Windows for my pc (vista at the moment), therefore I'm completly out of the loop. Can anyone explaine to me the finer points to this debate and why you are all discusing the use of various different systems.

Sorry that sounds a bit blunt - just feel a bit stupd right know 'cos I may be missing out on something.

Di Sandland
07-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Annie, its not operating systems we're discussing - which is what Windows and Vista are - its browsers. So things like Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc etc

A Web rbrowser is a software program that interprets html - the coding language used for web pages. They are what make sure you see the writing and the pictures rather than a lot of code. Its the programme you use to surf the web.

We started discussing it because a few of us have had problems with Cookson's checkout - it doesn't seem to work too well with Google Chrome, a newish web browser.

Does that help at all?

Kalorlo
07-10-2009, 09:08 PM
Annie - we're discussing different web browsers, because sometimes specific web sites will work better in one than another. (The default one on Windows is Internet Explorer, but you can install other ones - including Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, Opera). The reasons for installing a different one include security - IE is not great on this, and because it's the default one on Windows PCs, there's a lot of effort put into finding and exploiting bugs in it by the kind of nasty, nasty people who want to trojan your pc/steal credit card details and logins, etc etc. Other reasons include different user interfaces, the ability to block ads, various plugins that make things more convenient and give you more control over what the websites you're browsing look like.

Techy people can and will argue for hours over which is best :-D

The Dragon
07-10-2009, 09:50 PM
Ohh right - a faint glimmer of light appears. No wonder I'm not up to speed. I use windows for everything, probably because it's the easiest option. Note to self - when time permits look up the different options for a bit of light reading, I'll never know what I might be missing! lol :)