PDA

View Full Version : Ring mandrels and gauges

Ruedeleglise
09-04-2023, 12:18 PM
Do you find the size markings seem to vary from make to make? I suppose the answer is to buy both from the same manufacture!
I found at least a good one size variation between my two sets. The question is which make is the best as when making a ring one size difference can make a marked difference when calculating the length of material for the shank.
David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

misspond
09-04-2023, 12:36 PM
I find that the plastic ring sizers you can get individually are a good match for my mandrel

Dennis
09-04-2023, 08:12 PM
Provided that the ring stick and ring sizers are from the same manufacturer, it doesn't really matter David which you use.

If you are corresponding with a client at a distance, then obviously they must use sizers that correspond.
As already mentioned there are very cheap plastic options from Cookson, which work well:
https://www.cooksongold.com/category_select.jsp?channel=uk&query=plastic+ring+sizers

My ring stick is an ancient Wheatsheaf, which happens to match. Dennis

Caro
10-04-2023, 02:45 PM
I use the Cookson's plastic set too. I've given one to the shop which stocks my jewellery to use so if someone asks for something in a certain size then I know that it will match mine.

My steel mandrel is about 1/4 size different and the stretching/reducing gadget is way out!

Caro
10-04-2023, 02:46 PM
I use the Cookson's plastic set too. I've given one to the shop which stocks my jewellery to use so if someone asks for something in a certain size then I know that it will match mine.

My steel mandrel is about 1/4 size different and the stretching/reducing gadget is way out!

china
10-04-2023, 05:43 PM
In Australia Wheatsheaf is the standard, most high end Jewellers use wheatsheaf here, anything else is a bit of a compromise. They don't come cheap a mandrel and stet of ring sizers about $600