PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me?

mizgeorge
11-02-2023, 11:24 AM
This drives me potty. I can't afford to lose the first 7-10cm of every coil of wire, but no matter how many times I mention it to CS, it improves briefly, and then reverts to this.

Does anyone else have the same problem? Or should I just feel victimized quietly in a corner?

Dennis
11-02-2023, 11:47 AM
No, it's quite disgraceful. They're treating it like binding wire, at your expense, George.
When I first started, they tried that on me with quite heavy wire.
I said 'how am I supposed to straighten that', and the reply was 'with a hammer'
Luckily being in the showroom I was able to reject it, and in future always said 'dont twist it'-to much rolling of eyes.
Dennis.

china
11-02-2023, 01:08 PM
Is the twisted wire extra to what you ordered if so there is no real problem, just cut it off.

CJ57
11-02-2023, 01:42 PM
Such a waste George, drives me mad too. Still with nylocks so that’s just stupid

mizgeorge
11-02-2023, 02:49 PM
Is the twisted wire extra to what you ordered if so there is no real problem, just cut it off.

I wouldn't mind if it was, but these are the fixed weight 30 rolls which is the only thing available for certain wires. I didn't mind too much when wire was a lot cheaper, but it's nigh on impossible to straighten without leaving some marks.

I think it's just laziness and habit, and as Caroline says, completely unnecessary with the ties in place.

Petal
11-02-2023, 06:50 PM
I was told the coils come from China like that, which is no excuse and really annoys me too. They sent me a 3mm rod of square wire once bent like a banana and when I complained they sent me another straight one. So wasteful.

Dennis
11-02-2023, 08:58 PM

Yes, quite true, Bob. Worth weighing a coil to see whether you get some exta. Anyone? Dennis.

china
12-02-2023, 01:51 PM
I use almost exclusively Argentium I have never encountered this problem from them.

pearlescence
12-02-2023, 03:55 PM
I was told the coils come from China like that, which is no excuse and really annoys me too. They sent me a 3mm rod of square wire once bent like a banana and when I complained they sent me another straight one. So wasteful.

I get my wire while in Hong Kong and yes, it's exactly like that. Usually fine if you anneal it and then show it who is in charge

mizgeorge
12-02-2023, 05:04 PM

Since it's supposed to be coming from Germany, that would be pretty poor again. Especially given the supposed commitment to lowering carbon footprint.

Yes, quite true, Bob. Worth weighing a coil to see whether you get some exta. Anyone? Dennis.

Weighed (without the additional plastic ties. Not a fraction of a gram over the stated 30g.

I get my wire while in Hong Kong and yes, it's exactly like that. Usually fine if you anneal it and then show it who is in charge

Would be lovely, if the whole point wasn't that it's only the half or spring hard wires (which need to stay in that temper) that are sold this way. The whole objective is not to have to anneal, pickle and reharden, which is just not cost effective.