PDA

View Full Version : Torch for delft casting

Cejewellery87
26-10-2022, 04:15 PM
Hi there

I am looking to get back into delft casting.
I was wondering, do you think it would be possible using a small hand torch?

I would be casting very small things, so won't be needing a lot of silver.

I did a lot of casting at uni, but not a lot since. Trying to work out if my current torch is big enough.

Thank you

Dennis
26-10-2022, 08:06 PM
Well, you've got the small hand torch Ce, so you can prove me wrong. But I'm willing to bet that it will not heat your silver enough even for a small casting.
The minimum would be a hand held brazing torch for DIY plumbing, which has interchangeable canisters. The trouble is that they can.t be delivered with gas, so it's best to find a local ironmonger, or DIY shop such as B&Q, Toolstation etc. Dennis

nicks creative stuff
26-10-2022, 08:57 PM
Hi CE I quite agree with Dennis … I do a lot of delft clay casting with a small square 2 inch ceramic crucible from Cookson‘s … perfect for the job … even if I’m going to pour tiny amounts of silver the whole crucible has to be hot and up to temperature if it’s going to work well. I would struggle to do that with a small handheld butane torch. I find for a successful pour the metal temperature has to be just right, I know it’s ready when the molten metal moves and rolls easily around the crucible like mercury this only happens when the crucible is hot.
Hope this helps … Nick