PDA

View Full Version : Second hand rolling mill - loosing springs

lukasvar
20-09-2022, 07:20 AM
Hey!
I recently bought a second-hand rolling mill and turns out it has no springs to control the height between the rollers. How do I figure out what spring I need? Are there any reads for me to help figure this out or I just try all possible combinations of springs I can get my hands on? Also, I'm thinking to take it for someone to grind the rollers with a lathe. Will this work out fine for me?

Dennis
20-09-2022, 09:05 AM
Dear Lucas.

I'm sorry to say you've bought a bit of a turkey. By the time you've trialled and errored suitable compression springs, and paid for the rollers to be re- ground, you will have spent more than you would for a basic new one.
If possible send it back for re-fund. If it is a Durston, they might consider refurbishment. Otherwise I would dump it and put it down to experience. Dennis.

lukasvar
21-09-2022, 05:05 AM
These were my thoughts exactly!
Anyways, I still went to the hardware store and bought a bunch of springs, and the first ones I tried worked :dance: Just had to trim it a little. Now the only problem is what to do with the rest of the springs, maybe there is some use in them while making designs :confused:

Dennis
21-09-2022, 07:00 PM
You're lucky to have that kind of hardware store nearby. Here in London its mostly online, so its much more difficult to sort out. Dennis.