PDA

View Full Version : Another New Category

The Dragon
06-10-2009, 11:55 AM
How do you all feel about the idea of having a new category for useful links. Quite a few of us have suggested various websites in the past. We could even sub divide it into groups i.e.

Lampwork Artists
Printers and Packaging
Tutorial Video's etc

Each person could add their link with a brief explanation and we would have a very useful resource in one easy to find place.

:feedback:

Solunar Silver Studio
06-10-2009, 12:05 PM
Sounds good to me!!:Y:

bustagasket
06-10-2009, 12:09 PM
yeah actually that would be really helpful instead of trying to find out which post i saw it in :D

snow_imp
06-10-2009, 12:10 PM
Works for me too.

Petal
06-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Yes, l agree, it would be very useful to have all our links in one place. What do others feel about putting up the Cookies order no of their favourite components used ?

EmmaRose
06-10-2009, 02:27 PM
That is kind of what I suggested with an archive area like the yahoo forums, so yes, I agree totally.
E

MuranoSilver
06-10-2009, 03:17 PM
I'm sure that could be done in one of the current categories it just needs to be stickied as a topic (which will keep it at the top) :)
What current category would you like it in?

Kalorlo
06-10-2009, 03:21 PM
Hints and Tips would seem like a suitable category for it - it's near the top of the categories page, too, so if you don't know which one it's in you'll find it fast :)

The Dragon
06-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Sounds reasonable - we can always set it up in it's own category later if it becomes too big and unmanageable I guess.

mizgeorge
06-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Oops, I've just posted in one of new categories, about lampwork beads but perhaps I should repeat myself here.

I'm not sure this is a terrifically good idea. There's a big difference between posting a link to GBUK, or to individual favourite artists within threads where we're showing off our work with their beads, but this feels rather 'official' to me.

I don't think it necessarily gives a fair crack of the whip to all the hugely talented artists out there. Between FHF and GBUK I think this is pretty well covered.

I'm all for links to tutorials etc, but I feel really uncomfortable with directly promoting sales to others. The same applies to packaging etc (especially as Cookson's sell it).

I've seen this done on forums in the past, and it ends up becoming a bit of a bunfight with people trying to get their own personal favourites and friends up the list. Hence my suggestion to stick with the link to GBUK.

Just my opinion of course.

MuranoSilver
06-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Ok I'm not a Lampworker and have no idea who GBUK or FHF are
but as people recommend folks it would be noce to find them again easily.
Maybe the GBUK and FHF would be good candidates in the Lampworking thread?
Nic x

mizgeorge
06-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Thanks Nic, but I think you've missed my point. Once we start posting links to favourite artists in a thread of this type, it's no different to advertising. I, and others, could spend days linking to literally hundreds of lampworkers, which rather defeats the object surely?

GBUK (Glass Beadmakers UK) maintain a very comprehensive list of links and gallery pages, and the majority of UK lampworkers are members. FHF (Frit Happens Forum) is the single biggest lampworking resource in the UK.

My real issue isn't about lampworkers as such, but about the ethics of keeping sticky posts with references to other suppliers.

I recall Adam's answer to my original question about this issue:

.....We don't mind members posting 'non-cookson' supplier links as long as they are occasional and appropriate ....

and I suspect this is what's making me feel uncomfortable about links, whether competitive or not, to suppliers of any kind.

As I said, I think tutorials and reference sites are a very different thing.

MuranoSilver
06-10-2009, 05:52 PM
Fair point - I've ammended the thread to Glass and Lampwork tutorials
Maybe a link to those two sites with Lampworker info on might be appropriate :Y:

Di Sandland
06-10-2009, 06:40 PM
I've kept quiet basically because I feel the same as George but I'm not as good at expressing such things. I haven't discussed the issue with anybody via PM either, feeling it best to go with the adage least said soonest mended. But here's my thinking:

I believe in natural linking - i.e. when I've used something from somebody that I think others would like to investigate, I post the link. Then, I leave it. I got very embarrassed with the Rob stuff because, ultimately, it began to feel like I was 'spamming' for him - which I wasn't.

I actually learned through this about the immense power a forum has and to wield it unevenly doesn't feel right somehow. Using natural links is, I think, ethical and the thread eventually dies a death. Then somebody else may use that supplier and post another link but, again, it is a transitory thing. The thread eventually dies a death! To permanently sticky those links is (to my mind) like a permanent spam thread.

I must add that this is a purely personal feeling and I'm not seeking a debate on the issue - and certainly not a heated one ;)

The Dragon
06-10-2009, 07:35 PM
I do understand what both George and Di are saying, and to a great extent agree with them, I don't want the forum to turn into a free for all spam fest. My main reason for making the suggestion was from a desire to find relevant and useful information quickly as a lot of people who use this forum have a limited amount of time.

I think Nic's compromise suggestion of using the stickies for posting tutorial information or global websites on the subjects is a good one, if everyone else is happy with it and of course Cooksons have no objections.

This discussion does prove how effective this forum is in that suggestions can be discussed freely and workable compromises reached. Nothing is ever written in stone and can always be stopped or changed if people feel too uncomfortable.:)

Di Sandland
06-10-2009, 07:36 PM
This discussion does prove how effective this forum is in that suggestions can be discussed freely and workable compromises reached. Nothing is ever written in stone and can always be stopped or changed if people feel too uncomfortable.:)

Yeah, its good innit ;)

The Dragon
06-10-2009, 07:41 PM
I've just re-read the above post - sorry I does come across as a bit pretentious. It's not my intention to start a debate or upset anybody, it's just my Tesco persona creeps in occasionally and it all comes out wrong. :">

Di Sandland
06-10-2009, 07:43 PM
I've just re-read the above post - sorry I does come across as a bit pretentious. It's not my intention to start a debate or upset anybody, it's just my Tesco persona creeps in occasionally and it all comes out wrong. :">

Oh, pooey Annie, it didn't sound pretentious at all. :-D

Mind you, I do exactly the same - even though I think things through before I write them I'm sometimes left thinking I should keep my mouth closed.

MuranoSilver
06-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Hopefully the Tutorials stickies will become very useful (great idea Dragon)
and we can add more stickies to encompass other areas (or split threads into sub sets)
nic x