PDA

View Full Version : Soldering gold filled to sterling silver

Ruedeleglise
14-08-2022, 12:34 PM
Is it possible , practical, to solder a gold filled small orb to a larger piece of silver…..or will the gold melt off the orb and spoil the whole thing? I have been asked to solder a 9 ct gold orb of about 4gm to a silver ring. When I explained the cost of the gold…..after a big intake of air I was asked for cheaper possibilities. I did suggest copper but that wasn’t received with enthusiasm!
David.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

china
14-08-2022, 01:17 PM
How about, a Silver orb easy to solder then have the orb plated, at a jeweller who is set up with plating equipment

Ruedeleglise
14-08-2022, 01:21 PM
Thinking of the wear aspect. Gold plating seems to wear off rather quickly and as an orb on a ring would get a lot of friction against clothes etc.

CJ57
14-08-2022, 01:21 PM
That’s what I was about to say but you’d need to warn her that on a ring the plating will wear probably quite quickly if it’s worn all the time

Ruedeleglise
14-08-2022, 01:34 PM
Hmm yes! I think this ring is planned to be worn most of the time! I have made one using copper and I think it looks great!!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220814/db45dde7815d491b8a3ad75149a5e3da.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220814/3a4d3d71cf38bab93063fd474e3430a6.jpg

Ruedeleglise
14-08-2022, 01:36 PM
Ooops two photos! You see there are to be 2 balls both at about 3 gm which at the current price of gold would be a bit eye watering!

CJ57
14-08-2022, 03:03 PM
The copper will tarnish with products. Have you looked to see if you can get a gold bead with only one drill hole or if 2 solder a silver wire through and make it a decorative feature. Just thinking out loud as it’ll probably get bashed with daily wear. Have you priced the gold? Has she maybe got a bit of scrap you can ball? Everybody has one earring or several lying about!

Ruedeleglise
14-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Necessity is the mother of invention! This morning 9ct gold was £17.31 a gm! Yes I will ask if she has any bits of her own I can use. I like the idea of the bead. Drilled through the ring then soldered on the inside? Still bit expensive I guess for her! I have some bits of gold…..links of a totally knackered wrist chain, but I think these having been donated by my wife are strictly for family consumption!……hers!
The copper wouldn’t shine up if polished regularly?
David

china
14-08-2022, 04:27 PM
Would something like this work drill hole in ring and gently peen over the post, (I did not say this but maybe a touch of epoxy)
https://www.thejewellers.com/9ct-gold-4mm-bead-stud-earrings-1600256

Ruedeleglise
14-08-2022, 04:32 PM
Crafty!

Dennis
14-08-2022, 06:53 PM
As already mentioned, rings are subject to wear and bashing, so that rules out plating, and also bought in gold balls, which are mostly painfully thin, and so liable to dent, or even collapse.

I think some hand made ornament made from re-claimed gold could be the answer. Alternatively a gemstone, set in a gold collet, which only requires a small piece of wire rolled sideways in a mill to create.

Work it out with copper wire first. Dennis.

CJ57
14-08-2022, 06:56 PM
Necessity is the mother of invention! This morning 9ct gold was £17.31 a gm! Yes I will ask if she has any bits of her own I can use. I like the idea of the bead. Drilled through the ring then soldered on the inside? Still bit expensive I guess for her! I have some bits of gold…..links of a totally knackered wrist chain, but I think these having been donated by my wife are strictly for family consumption!……hers!
The copper wouldn’t shine up if polished regularly?
David

Polishing regularly is not something a woman wants to do with a ring in daily use. If she’s happy for it to go black then that’s her choice. Don’t you dare use your gold for someone outside the family or it’ll always be expected. Make a smaller ball maybe

Ruedeleglise
14-08-2022, 06:58 PM
Yes Dennis…..at the risk of being excommunicated by my wife I used 4 links of her totally worn out chain to make 2 decent sized balls. Has worked well……..!

Ruedeleglise
14-08-2022, 07:02 PM
Polishing regularly is not something a woman wants to do with a ring in daily use. If she’s happy for it to go black then that’s her choice. Don’t you dare use your gold for someone outside the family or it’ll always be expected. Make a smaller ball maybe

Too late ! Done it! But the recipient will pay! (If she wants it!) I must do some “junk shop” searching purchase to find some more……or pay the price!

Ruedeleglise
14-08-2022, 07:08 PM
I am now looking for a reliable non acid gold verifying kit as I don’t fancy walking about with nitric acid in my pocket!……any advice?

mizgeorge
14-08-2022, 08:40 PM
I realise it's too late, but red/jeweller's brass works well for this sort of thing (and tarnishes far less than copper). Alternatively, I've had good results using single hole gold beads. Carefully saw or snip them open from the hole to about the mid point and open up, then solder on top of a silver blob.

My favourite source for odd bits of gold scrap is always earrings and earwires, where one has broken or been lost, leaving a singleton ripe for harvest!

Ruedeleglise
14-08-2022, 08:42 PM
Never too late….another idea and source!
Thanks
David

pearlescence
15-08-2022, 06:40 AM
Just a suggestion if you need some scrap - see if one of those 'we buy your gold' shops will sell you some of their scrap at a reasonable price. A friendly jeweller might have some scrap around too - too small a parcel to send to the melt

Ruedeleglise
20-08-2022, 11:18 AM
As already mentioned, rings are subject to wear and bashing, so that rules out plating, and also bought in gold balls, which are mostly painfully thin, and so liable to dent, or even collapse.

I think some hand made ornament made from re-claimed gold could be the answer. Alternatively a gemstone, set in a gold collet, which only requires a small piece of wire rolled sideways in a mill to create.

Work it out with copper wire first. Dennis.

Great idea. Thanks Dennis.