PDA

View Full Version : Rolling mills again

caroleallen
05-10-2009, 07:53 AM
I've got a Durston mini mill which works really well but now that I'm using it loads for the aluminium bangles, is causing me to have back problems. If I upgraded to a more expensive model, would it be easier to turn the handle?
Which model would people recommend?

Lisa Quinn
05-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Sorry I can't recommend a different mill as I have the same one, I did an evening class and they had a sooper dooper electric one and everything just whizzed through it with absolutely no effort at all ( I didn't use it very much though because it was pitted and rusty !! )

My cheapest alternative is get a big strong fella to do your handle turning for you !!

Hope somebody else comes along and is able to give you some proper advice !!

Lisa x

mizgeorge
05-10-2009, 11:03 AM
The mini-mill isn't geared is it?

I've tried several, and even a basic 4:1 gearing system makes a huge difference. It's one of the reasons I went for my cheap and basic mill, as I couldn't afford the model of Durston I wanted.

I don't know why (as I use plenty of other powered tools) but an electric one feels a bit like cheating somehow!

Bigwol
05-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Mine durston is ancient and geared 4:1 but I have used direct geared mills in the past.

If you only reduce the thickness by a small amount on each pass through it will be easier than trying to do the whole thing in one go.

Aluminium also work-hardens when cold rolled, so if you are trying to reduce the thickness a lot, make sure you anneal it frequently, the recrystallisation will make the metal 'softer'.

Finally if you are reducing the thickness in multiple passes, make sure that the same end goes through first each time.

Charlotte
05-10-2009, 12:04 PM
Hmmmm interesting, I shall have to remember this when I'm able to afford a nice little rolling mill.

caroleallen
05-10-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm not trying to reduce the aluminium but just to texture it. Even so, it needs a lot of pressure. I've looked at the more expensive ones on Cookies and they don't seem to mention the gears.

mizgeorge
05-10-2009, 04:43 PM
the DRM100 and upwards are geared. It's in the description on the cookson site - have a look at item 999 axx for example

CDW Designs
06-10-2009, 04:58 PM
:help::feedback:
Mine durston is ancient and geared 4:1 but I have used direct geared mills in the past.

If you only reduce the thickness by a small amount on each pass through it will be easier than trying to do the whole thing in one go.

Aluminium also work-hardens when cold rolled, so if you are trying to reduce the thickness a lot, make sure you anneal it frequently, the recrystallisation will make the metal 'softer'.

Finally if you are reducing the thickness in multiple passes, make sure that the same end goes through first each time.

Hi BigWol
I am looking to getting a rolling mill and the ones on the Cookson site seemed to be direct geared. What is the difference and is there a size mill you would recommend. I dont want a huge huge one as I am still an amateur!!
Any other recommendations would be welcome.

:help::feedback:

mizgeorge
06-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Christine, if you just want something to start out with, the economy mill 999 AXWA is 3:1 geared. I have a similar machine (though with a 4:1 gearing) as I needed to get one at a time I couldn't afford a Durston, and I'm completely happy with it. If I can ever afford to, I'm sure I'd upgrade it, but I certainly don't need to, and there are lots of other toys to buy first ;)

Bigwol
08-10-2009, 12:48 AM
Hi

I took mine to bits to count the teeth on the gears

The handle and layshaft gears are 13 teeth

The Roller gear is 43 teeth

= 3.307692308 to 1

So 3:1 is fine

Dave

caroleallen
08-10-2009, 07:52 AM
I don't really understand the significance of using gears - yes, I know I'm not the brightest tool in the drawer - see what I mean? Can you explain how they work please Bigwol. (In words of one (or two if absolutely necessary!) syllables please!!) :ta:

Kalorlo
08-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Basically, a gear ratio of 3:1 means that when the big gear makes one full turn, the small gear will make three full turns. In terms of a rolling mill, I assume that this means you turn the handle one turn and the rollers will make three turns, so you're doing less work. (Never used one, though!)

Bigwol
08-10-2009, 11:21 AM
3 to 1 gearing means that you have to turn the handle three times to get the roller to turn once - but it only takes one third of the effort - which is good!

A bit like a bicycle in first gear - you're pedalling like mad, but it gets you up the hill!

Without any gearing ie 1 to 1 (or direct gearing) there is no mechanical advantage offered by the gearing, so you will find it difficult to turn.

Kalorlo
08-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Ha, the odds were 50:50 :-p

CDW Designs
08-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Christine, if you just want something to start out with, the economy mill 999 AXWA is 3:1 geared. I have a similar machine (though with a 4:1 gearing) as I needed to get one at a time I couldn't afford a Durston, and I'm completely happy with it. If I can ever afford to, I'm sure I'd upgrade it, but I certainly don't need to, and there are lots of other toys to buy first ;)

Hi George
Thanks for that, I have been reading the threads and I have wondered what mill to look and go for. I will have another look on the Cooksons website. Thanks for the tip!:Y:

caroleallen
08-10-2009, 06:12 PM
Aah! Now I understand. Thanks very much.*-:)

Ominicci
09-10-2009, 08:49 AM
If asked I would have assumed it was the way that Kalorlo explained it not Bigwol's way :confused:

Coco
09-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Ooooooh! I didn't know you could texture aluminium with a rolling mill I thought it was forbidden. But, yay! Exciting! :dancing:

caroleallen
09-10-2009, 11:47 AM
Oh yes Coco. You have to be a bit careful though as it's prone to splitting.