PDA

View Full Version : Copper Patina

Sheen
06-04-2022, 02:26 PM
Using this piece of found copper for a necklace. It's going to be prong set. My question is do I need to seal the patina?

Dennis
06-04-2022, 04:34 PM
It will continue to darken, but very slowly, over time Sheena. Sealing it with a gloss lacquer, brush on or spray will give it a wet look. Matte or satin lacquer will retard darkening, but will add substantially to the cost. Dennis.

Sheen
06-04-2022, 08:12 PM
It will continue to darken, but very slowly, over time Sheena. Sealing it with a gloss lacquer, brush on or spray will give it a wet look. Matte or satin lacquer will retard darkening, but will add substantially to the cost. Dennis.

Thanks Dennis, I'm not keen on the idea of a wet look and I was in a bit of a rush so just put it together as it was. How hard wearing it'll be is debatable.
I think I could have done the bail better. Maybe hidden it behind the seaglass but there's always next time.

china
07-04-2022, 01:49 AM
You could wax the surface I would be a bit concerned about the pointy bits, just my opinion.

Sheen
07-04-2022, 05:44 AM
You could wax the surface I would be a bit concerned about the pointy bits, just my opinion.

Do you mean the prongs? They do look a bit sharp in the photo. I'll check them over, thanks

china
07-04-2022, 12:30 PM
Yes they do not look like they would pass the silk tie test, may just be the photo.