PDA

View Full Version : cuttlefish and PMC

Lindyloo
04-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Has anyone tried using a cuttlefish mould with PMC? If not, do you think it would work? And how might you go about getting the clay out of it? :confused:

Emerald
04-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Has anyone tried using a cuttlefish mould with PMC? If not, do you think it would work? And how might you go about getting the clay out of it? :confused:

not sure if this would work really but i am sure Nic will let you know i use plasticine!

MuranoSilver
04-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Errm can't imagine why you'd want to??
Unless it's to take the texture, in which case I'd put the clay in the mould let it dry then fire it in place....
Nic x

Solunar Silver Studio
04-10-2009, 08:37 PM
I've not tried it but I think you would be missing out on the fantastic definition you can get with pmc. Cuttlefish is a rather open texture and very friable and pmc would pick up every little pockmark and would probably get a lot of the crumbly bits of the cuttle fish embedded into it. I use Pebeo Siligum to make moulds. Moulding Compound 2 X 150g Parts - Cooksongold.com (http://www.cooksongold.com/Precious-Metal-Clay/Moulding-Compound-2-X-150g-Parts-prcode-700-520). It is quite expensive but it does last a long time if you are only making small moulds. It has the advantage of being flexible so you can make moulds with slight undercuts and still be able to remove the casts without a problem. And you can keep the moulds forever - just in case you want to do it again!

Lindyloo
04-10-2009, 08:53 PM
I thought that might be the response. Yes, it was the cuttlefish texture I was after. I will try it with casting. The only reason I considered PMC, was because I was getting rather pessimistic about my potential success with casting. I don't know why though, as I have done it successfully before. :confused: