PDA

View Full Version : Some of my work

amberdragon
16-07-2009, 12:59 PM
I have only just come back to creating jewellery in silver and copper, or whatever else would look good, so what do people think of these? Any constructive comments are welcome, and I look forward to hearing opinions. :o

The Bijou Dragon
16-07-2009, 01:21 PM
I absolutely love the first ring... all of it is beautiful but that first ring is really right up my street!

myke
16-07-2009, 02:10 PM
I like the first ring whats the stone? all the best myke

MuranoSilver
16-07-2009, 02:52 PM
I like bost of the rings but the first is my favourite too
Artfully crafted Organic shapes are a real triumph!

The beadwork is beautifully done and must've taken you ages.
Was it a commission?

Nicola x

amberdragon
16-07-2009, 09:56 PM
Cheers for all the really encouraging comments, it is really appreciated. The stone in the first ring is amber, and is the first I have made (other than the one for a uni project and the other one shown here) where I didn't 'cheat', that is, use glue to hold the stone in place :-). The beaded necklace did take several weeks and I adore it. It was in fact taken and adapted from a pattern in a book and was my second attempt no less. The first was rubbish because I put way too many flowers and leaves on, so less is definitely more. A problem with me, because I always try and put way too much into a piece: I have to make a definite effort to tone things down! Thanks again.

AlexandraBuckle
17-07-2009, 08:45 AM
The second ring is my favourite as I prefer clean lines, not organic shapes like first ring (though it is lovely!)
Also love the colour of the stone on the second ring - is it topaz?

Very impressed with the necklace!

amberdragon
17-07-2009, 09:50 AM
The stone on the second is London Blue Topaz, courtesy of Cooksons. I just love the colour too.

Petal
20-07-2009, 12:40 PM
I have only just come back to creating jewellery in silver and copper, or whatever else would look good, so what do people think of these? Any constructive comments are welcome, and I look forward to hearing opinions. :o
OOh, your pieces are lovely. :) What bead stitch did you use to make the necklaces? I've made a few spirals bracelets, but nothing as good as yours.

EmmaRose
20-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Love the rings, not so much the beading (it is well made and designed, just not my taste!)
The first ring is spectacular very original and love the organic shape! I would design a series of those. Was it cast or fabricated?
Emma

amberdragon
21-07-2009, 08:46 AM
Hi Petal, thanks for your lovely comments, so here's my answer. The necklace is made up of mainly peyote stitch, with the central 'spine' of it being a combination of double and single. This gives it a spiral shape. Then, strings of beads are added to it followed by adding the flowers and leaves. Next a series of peyote sections are added just to fill in gaps and that's it! Took me weeks it did!

amberdragon
21-07-2009, 08:48 AM
Hi Emma, Thanks for your super comments - receiving these really gives me a boost because after finishing my first year at HND I didn't feel I was as good as I thought I was. Anyway, the first ring is not cast but made up of a few scrap bits of silver arranged together and then melted to give me the form. I then added the bezel and that was it. I do think that I should start getting moulds done of them though as they really turn out good. What started as an experiment is turning out to be super.

Petal
21-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Hi Petal, thanks for your lovely comments, so here's my answer. The necklace is made up of mainly peyote stitch, with the central 'spine' of it being a combination of double and single. This gives it a spiral shape. Then, strings of beads are added to it followed by adding the flowers and leaves. Next a series of peyote sections are added just to fill in gaps and that's it! Took me weeks it did!

Hi Amberdragon,

Don't be too hard on yourself - you need to believe that you create beautiful pieces that people will want to buy. :)

I thought there was an awful lot of work and time involved in your necklace. Ah, Peyote stitch is one I haven't tried yet, but it's got a lovely structure to it. How easy was it to learn - did you teach yourself, or go to classes locally?

I'd like to have a go at mixing woven stitches with wirework, but need to learn tons more and then practice, practice, before I get to that stage.

Jules