PDA

View Full Version : Refiring fired PMC with new bits?

agent_44
04-10-2009, 07:26 PM
Sorry for the rubbish title for this post, I couldn't think of a better way of putting it!

I made a couple of pendants and put them the wrong way up in the kiln so they were resting on their bails which squashed under the weight of the front of the pendant. I have saw the bails of and hammered the pieces perfectly flat but its very lumpy bumpy now. Can I layer on some slip untill it's all even and refire? I'm afraind if I file/sand the pendants will be too think by the tiome they are smooth on the back.

MuranoSilver
04-10-2009, 07:48 PM
Yep you can add extra but they'll still probably be lumpy (it will follow any contours)
You need to add Lavender paste (rather than slip) as it will stick to the metal better.
You'll find the Instructions on my PMC blog under Making Lavender Paste (http://pmctips.blogspot.com/2009/02/making-lavender-paste-repairing-fired.html) :)
nic x

agent_44
04-10-2009, 07:51 PM
Thats great Nic, thank you. I think I have some lavender oil ferreted away somewhere, too :)

It'll be good to use some of the gallon of slip I have generated though cock up after cock up ;) This was before I took your course, obviously!