PDA

View Full Version : Pen Plating - starter set up - yellow and rose gold

andrea756101
09-12-2021, 03:07 PM
Hello :-) Usually, I use Keum Boo for adding gold details but would like to start mixing some rose gold in with the yellow gold details. Plus the depletion guilding of the pieces can be a pain...
Can anyone suggest a good starter set-up for pen plating?

TIA 👍

Dennis
10-12-2021, 11:11 AM
Hi Tia,
I once bought a battery powered gold plating pen, being the cheapest option, and found the results too subtle for my tastes.
You might like to try this for yourself: https://www.goldn.co.uk/product/battery-powered-plating-pen/

I then settled for rolling gold wires and slices into stock with my mill, and used selected areas to suit my needs. See bugs below. Dennis.

andrea756101
10-12-2021, 11:25 AM
Hi Tia,
I once bought a battery powered gold plating pen, being the cheapest option, and found the results too subtle for my tastes.
You might like to try this for yourself: https://www.goldn.co.uk/product/battery-powered-plating-pen/

I then settled for rolling gold wires and slices into stock with my mill, and used selected areas to suit my needs. See bugs below. Dennis.

Thank you, Dennis, I will give the battery-operated pen a go the Spa one. A new 'toy' for myself in time for Christmas. :) I do like rolling mills, but that is on my dream list of tools

Is it possible to Keum Boo with rose gold?

CJ57
10-12-2021, 12:13 PM
Thank you, Dennis, I will give the battery-operated pen a go the Spa one. A new 'toy' for myself in time for Christmas. :) I do like rolling mills, but that is on my dream list of tools

Is it possible to Keum Boo with rose gold?
I think it has to be pure gold for the alchemy to work. Someone will tell me if I’m wrong that rose gold has copper in it for the colour

china
10-12-2021, 01:21 PM
Definitely copper is added to make rose gold usually some pure Silver to soften the alloy, so it quite a long way from pure Gold I have only ever used 22karat gold for Keum Boo might be a fun thing to try though you would have the make it yourself, I don't thing Rose Gold Foil is available anywhere.

CJ57
10-12-2021, 04:32 PM
Definitely copper is added to make rose gold usually some pure Silver to soften the alloy, so it quite a long way from pure Gold I have only ever used 22karat gold for Keum Boo might be a fun thing to try though you would have the make it yourself, I don't thing Rose Gold Foil is available anywhere.
I haven’t seen it anywhere Bob.I bought a very expensive lamp from a potter who claimed all the different colours of gold on the top surface were gold, I very much doubt that. I do have a booklet of different colours but I’ve never tried them tbh.
The cost of keum boo gold has stopped me using it for the moment
I did share a video once of a master craftsman making gold leaf by hand, it was fascinating

china
10-12-2021, 05:19 PM
Yeh Gold is getting up there at the moment, I have made Rose Gold but not foil (it will be part of a post that I promised many moons ago ) I am pretty sure I watched that video, and it made me realise why it is expensive.

CJ57
10-12-2021, 05:26 PM
Yeh Gold is getting up there at the moment, I have made Rose Gold but not foil (it will be part of a post that I promised many moons ago ) I am pretty sure I watched that video, and it made me realise why it is expensive.

Oh well the last time I bought it I thought £80 was the highest I’d paid for a 31/2 in square. £106 today!

andrea756101
13-12-2021, 11:12 AM
Thank you! Much appreciated! this is really helpful information :-) I have a lot to learn about silver, gold etc.

china
13-12-2021, 12:55 PM
You never stop learning, when you stop learning you start dying, "Albert Einstein"