PDA

View Full Version : Assay required for US?

CJ57
01-11-2021, 07:08 PM
I know this is somewhere but I can’t find it. Sorry. I usually send pieces already hallmarked but my customer has liked a piece that isn’t and probably won’t be this year. I know they don’t have to in the US but do I have to if I want to send it there?
I won’t tell her husband it’s an option if it has to be done. I seem to remember not but it’s been a long 2 years and I think my brain has atrophied:/

Petal
02-11-2021, 10:22 AM
Hi Caroline,

I've checked with the Birmingham Assay Office and, they have said "it needs a hallmark, as its being sold from here and the transaction to pay for it happens here, but posted to the US. "

I've posted my reply in case others have the same query.

CJ57
02-11-2021, 10:52 AM
Thanks Jules for going to the bother . Oh well it’ll be earrings then after all this palaver!

Petal
02-11-2021, 11:35 AM
Its a great shame. Then again they might be willing to wait for it to be hallmarked?

josef1
02-11-2021, 12:35 PM
are they above the qualifying weight ?

CJ57
02-11-2021, 01:02 PM
Its a great shame. Then again they might be willing to wait for it to be hallmarked?

Don’t start me about the whole palaver Jules, it’s been nightly emails for more than a week! It’ll end up being a pr of earrings which given the time spent will be a loss

Petal
02-11-2021, 01:06 PM
Its so difficult with emails, I'd much rather phone someone and have a chat than send emails back and forth!

CJ57
02-11-2021, 01:06 PM
Yes well over I’m afraid. I don’t have enough pieces to merit an assay visit and I don’t intend to make anymore this year unless a few underweight earrings. I’d got it into my fuzzy head that because the US didn’t hallmark it might be ok .All info firmly implanted in my brain now

CJ57
02-11-2021, 01:12 PM
For professional people he doesn’t follow instruction well.I’ve even been through my recent post to try and see if she has liked pieces. So had he unfortunately and all were sold, one 10 years ago! I have been extremely accommodating and patient but the hours spent have been extreme

pearlescence
03-11-2021, 09:39 AM
Sounds like your customer means you need to have everything in writing for your own sake.
Yes re Hallmark. The contract of sale is made in this country therefore made under UK law.

CJ57
03-11-2021, 10:26 AM
Sounds like your customer means you need to have everything in writing for your own sake.
Yes re Hallmark. The contract of sale is made in this country therefore made under UK law.

Thanks Wendy , Jules confirmed with BAO.
He just gets over anxious when buying his wife’s Christmas as he’s not a fb user. All done and dusted now. At least he’s early this year!

pearlescence
04-11-2021, 08:40 AM
You could 'big up' the hallmark as something very special (Bit on the history and uniqueness of your personal mark etc etc)?

CJ57
04-11-2021, 11:02 AM
You could 'big up' the hallmark as something very special (Bit on the history and uniqueness of your personal mark etc etc)?
I always have as I’ve had mine since 1979. Tbh it mostly doesn’t seem to matter to most except perhaps American tourists. It just means a lot to me

pearlescence
04-11-2021, 06:54 PM
Me too.. I remember going to Goldsmith's Hall and they looked up WMG in a big parchment type book. And then I got to pick my shape. It's expensive and a pain but..makes a goldsmith unique. You look round the Hall at the names going back 100s of years and (and even back to ancient Egypt) and can think..actually the techniques are exactly the same.
Drop a modern goldsmith back to making Tutankamen's mask and she could, and the smith from then could walk into a workshop in Hatton Garden today. (though they would probably wet themselves over polishing machines!) End of soppy lyricalness

CJ57
04-11-2021, 08:41 PM
I’m Edinburgh and we had such bad experiences as a nearly all girl dept at ECA. We didn’t have the experience of Goldsmiths but a basement hatch and a grumpy old man in a brown coat! It’s like night and day now.
It’s a bit sad that customers don’t seem to care but at least I know they like my work for the quality of workmanship. Apparently the Edinburgh hallmark is a selling point to the tourists according to the manager of National Galleries Scot but then they are a different breed!