PDA

View Full Version : What's your claim to fame?

geti-titanium
03-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Which famous celebrity or icon of the modern age have you met or stood behind in the checkout in Aldi's?

My own personal encounters of this kind are a bit dismal and I'm really scraping the barrell with these.

I once stood behind 'Miss Diane' out of Crossroads at a checkout in Waitrose in Harborne and Benny (also from Crossroads) used to manage a bar up until recently in the jewellery Quarter - I stood next to him one night.

I also once sat next to Central News superstar Bob Warman on a flight to Majorca - didn't speak to him though.

I've recently made a Diamond set Titanium guitar pick for ex Led Zeppelin singer, Robert Plant.

And, finally, the bloke behind the counter in my local chip shop looks a bit like former King of England, Henry the VIII - it's a bit of a comedown for him if it is him though!

Anybody got better experiences?

Di Sandland
03-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Okay:

I used to go drinking with Madeline Bell (singer with Blue Mink from yonks ago)
I did a radio show to promote my book with Anna Raeburn. While I was there I tripped down some steps and Paul Ross helped me up and made me a cuppa
I dealt roulette to: Neil Diamond, Freddie Starr, Anthea Redfern and Bruce Forsythe, and Leo Sayer
I was abused (verbally) by Oliver Reed when he was playing craps
I went out for a while with Michael Wale, who used to be a weatherman on Thames TV - he was a tightwad
I've nodded hello to Joss Ackland when walking on the Tarka trail

I think that's it

but I'm green with envy over Robert Plant - a hero from my younger days

geti-titanium
03-10-2009, 05:42 PM
OOOh! An impressive first portfolio - Big :Y: from me :respekt:

geti-titanium
03-10-2009, 05:44 PM
but I'm green with envy over Robert Plant - a hero from my younger days

I haven't actually given it to him - I've still got it in my pocket in case I bump into him out drinking in his home town. I have friends who have met him though - so I think that might count :dance:

Di Sandland
03-10-2009, 05:44 PM
yeah - but no titanium guitar pick for Robert Plant. I am sick with envy (well, sort of) he was my hero. The original cock rocker

Di Sandland
03-10-2009, 05:45 PM
I haven't actually given it to him - I've still got it in my pocket in case I bump into him out drinking in his home town. I have friends who have met him though - so I think that might count :dance:

yeah, it counts

geti-titanium
03-10-2009, 05:47 PM
yeah, it counts

Oh yes! - chalk me up another then! :)

bustagasket
03-10-2009, 06:00 PM
I cant say i really have claims to fame, apart from Don Estelle being a customer at my bank (short actor from years ago starred in "It aint 'arf hot mum" ) he was a real stroppy git and i hated serving him.
Once met Bob Holness from (TV show Blockbusters) rikki loved the theme music to it sso i wrote to him and he asked to meet him when he was appearing locally.
And lastly I have met Tom Chaplin of Keane through some friends.

caroleallen
03-10-2009, 06:05 PM
I shook hands with the queen when I was a brownie and she told me I looked smart.

Mary Whitehouse came to our house for tea and my mum made her a pasty

I've sold jewellery to the girl who played Carlie in Eastenders and also to the girl who was in Dinner Ladies

I wiped Matthew Taylor's (MP) bottom when he was a child. (his sister was my best friend)

bustagasket
03-10-2009, 06:13 PM
I wiped Matthew Taylor's (MP) bottom when he was a child. (his sister was my best friend)

Euwwwwwwww Carole thats too much info!!!

geti-titanium
03-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Just thought of some more while I was in the shower:

My Dad, who is 85, is still bell ringing at weekends at his local church on the outskirts of West Bromwich.

That could possibly make him the oldest campanologist in the UK.

I'm going out tonight to The Tower Ballroom in Edgbaston (it's 'grab a grannie' night again!) - Old face comedian, Johnny Carroll, is a regular there - anybody want his autograph if I see him?

I've nodded hello to Joss Ackland when walking on the Tarka trail

Moon, I'm not sure I can count that one unless you can give me Diana Ross glancing at me from the stage at a concert at the NEC - the then girlfriend at the time was dead jealous but wouldn't admit it :dance:

Di Sandland
03-10-2009, 06:15 PM
but did she really, really catch your eye, Alan. Across a crowded room and all that? I suppose if the girlfriend was jealous she must've done but I'm not sure

geti-titanium
03-10-2009, 06:18 PM
I cross my heart - it was as if there was just the two of us in the arena :^o

Di Sandland
03-10-2009, 06:19 PM
oh, go on then. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt

geti-titanium
03-10-2009, 06:20 PM
wicked!!!!

Di Sandland
03-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Oh, and my dad, who is 82, still runs the marathon. So he's probably the oldest marathon runner in Dunstable.

caroleallen
03-10-2009, 06:55 PM
Wow! Life obviously begins at 80! Something to look forward to.

pauljoels
03-10-2009, 07:33 PM
When I was in Brum during my uni days, I used to work at for many of the athletics championships held there and through those I met most of Team GB, and many of my 1992 British Olympic athletic heroes (Linford Christie, Sally Gunnell, Colin Jackson, Jonathan Edwards, Michael Johnson [ok so he's US]). It was also there that I met Cherie Blair a few times, and she started to recognise me, and although she cannot smile, she was quite forward when I first met her - asking me to lift her onto a table! At another event I met Tony Blair with her too.

When I was a teenager, a friend and I bumped into Joanne Guest, which was exciting to teenage boys...for all the wrong reasons!

Finally, I think the most impressive famous person I met was the Crown Princess of Denmark - I spent a day on board a yacht there with her and only 20 others. She had her baby on board, who I accidentally knocked over, not realising he was behind me! Suprisingly the she was really friendly and easy to talk to. A very surreal day in all - especially as I only found out the evening before it was happening.

Emerald
03-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Which famous celebrity or icon of the modern age have you met or stood behind in the checkout in Aldi's?

My own personal encounters of this kind are a bit dismal and I'm really scraping the barrell with these.

I once stood behind 'Miss Diane' out of Crossroads at a checkout in Waitrose in Harborne and Benny (also from Crossroads) used to manage a bar up until recently in the jewellery Quarter - I stood next to him one night.

I also once sat next to Central News superstar Bob Warman on a flight to Majorca - didn't speak to him though.

once measured Bob W for a Jaeger suit (oh yes inside leg and all) does that count

Emerald
03-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Just thought of some more while I was in the shower:

My Dad, who is 85, is still bell ringing at weekends at his local church on the outskirts of West Bromwich.

That could possibly make him the oldest campanologist in the UK.

I'm going out tonight to The Tower Ballroom in Edgbaston (it's 'grab a grannie' night again!) - Old face comedian, Johnny Carroll, is a regular there - anybody want his autograph if I see him?

Moon, I'm not sure I can count that one unless you can give me Diana Ross glancing at me from the stage at a concert at the NEC - the then girlfriend at the time was dead jealous but wouldn't admit it :dance:

oh my God i cannot believe you are going to the Tower Ballroom is that still going desperate or wat!!!!!!

Solunar Silver Studio
03-10-2009, 08:03 PM
I rubbed shoulders on occasion with Eric Morecambe when I was little as we lived in the same town - Harpenden - and he was often seen out shopping! I got comedian Frank Carson's ("It's the way I tell 'em") autograph when he was a Redcoat at Butlins. I met Hannah Gordon when I was a contestant on Watercolour Challenge in 2000. And I have had 2 cups of coffee bought for me and a long, long chat to Roger Morlidge (Mr Griffin - Headteacher in Corrie, Fat Tw*t in East is East, James Armitage in Shakespeare in Love....and many others) as he lectured at the college I did my HND in and he was helping me get the feel for theatrical costume as I was making an Elizabethan style 'costume for performance' for one of my units.

By association there is Robbie Reid (boxer)...who used to go to the High School all my kids went to and who had his portfolio photos done by a friend of mine. Jimmy Constable of 911 whose mother I worked with when she taught at my kids' Primary School. And Nichola Roberts (Girls Aloud) who dropped out of the college I did Fashion and Textiles ND at because she went off and got 'famous' instead. Oh! ...and the entire cast of Two Pints of Lager... who periodically take over parts of Runcorn to film the series...

Am I stretching this a bit too far now...???:rofl:

Charlotte
03-10-2009, 09:14 PM
Di, you freaked me out when you mentioned the Tarka Trail until I remembered you live in Barnstaple;) I have been up and down it a million times, once I even walked back from Bideford to Torrington in heals when I ran out of money for a taxi ride home;)

I served Jimmy Nail and Jonathan Edwards a while back. I love Jimmy Nail:">

Di Sandland
03-10-2009, 09:32 PM
Ooh, yes, I'm a bit partial to Jimmy Nail too.

Emerald
03-10-2009, 09:43 PM
ooooh cant wait to here who you rubbed shoulders with or should i say botox with tonight Geti xx

fi79
04-10-2009, 10:02 AM
I met Prince Andrew when I was doing a Duke of Edinburgh exhibition - we "pitched" a tent in the middle of Glasgow City Chambers and I had to pretend I had a sprained ankle (don't ask)!

I interviewed my childhood idol Marti Pellow from Wet Wet Wet. He was lovely and talked for over an hour!

I interviewed Ricky Gervais' writing partner Stephen Merchant. He was lovely too!

I had my photo taken with Jason Donovon when he came into my work. It was a group photo - I was standing next to him and he put his hand on my bum!

Two of Girls Aloud came in to my work for an interview and Sarah Harding was still drunk from the night before.

My car was blocked in by Westlife's tour bus. I had been working since five in the morning and just wanted to go home so I threw a fit and made their roadie move it.

While interviewing Carole Smillie (of Changing Rooms fame) she stroked my face!

I interviewed Prime Minister Tony Blair.

I interviewed Scottish First Ministers Jack McConnell and Alex Salmond.

Most recently me and my dog Logan appeared with Kim and Aggie on How Clean is Your House when we met them in a shopping centre and they showed me how to get dog hair off my black coat (I'd like to add - they didn't come to my house. It is very clean - most of the time.)

I met the Manic Street Preachers after a gig and got the autographs.

I interviewed the supermodel Jodie Kidd about road tax (!) and felt very very very small next to her!

That's me for now!

Charlotte
04-10-2009, 10:47 AM
...I think we have a winner;)

agent_44
04-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Wow! I have nothing very interesting to add but there's a lot of famous people listed in this thread now!

Best I can think of right now, is when I was about 6 I think my family were on holiday in Jerser, one evening I was asleep and my dad was carrying me through town, and Mrs Slocombe lady from Are You Being Served walked past us, stopped and declared that I was a beautiful child!

Other than that, growing up in Bristol I had the opportunity to meet Darth Vader (aka Green Cross Code man/David Prowse) in the local Carrefour when I was about 4! He was in full Darth costume, but I have this distorted memeory of him servign cheese from behind the Deli Counter!

I've met a few people from bands I love but they're mostly obscure and not well known ;)

fi79
04-10-2009, 12:52 PM
...I think we have a winner;)

I probably have an unfair advantage - I used to be a journalist for Real Radio Scotland. I don't even get out the office now, let alone meet anyone famous!

fi79
04-10-2009, 12:54 PM
Other than that, growing up in Bristol I had the opportunity to meet Darth Vader (aka Green Cross Code man/David Prowse) in the local Carrefour when I was about 4! He was in full Darth costume, but I have this distorted memeory of him servign cheese from behind the Deli Counter!

I love that image! Makes me smile!

lorraineflee
04-10-2009, 03:15 PM
I used to work with someone who appeared as a swamp monster in Dr Who.

Lorraine

CDW Designs
04-10-2009, 04:10 PM
It just shows how many 'famous' people are about!

I have met John Major and shook hands at a work event.

Seen Carol Vorderman, the Queen, Prince Philip, walked passed Kenneth Williams (Carry on fame), and walked passed Oliver Reed. Spotted Dale Winton having coffee in Marylebone, spotted Vanessa Feltz, walked passed Stephen Tompkinson (Ballykissangel), another actor who was in Bodies but cant remember his name! Seen Cilla Black and Spit the dog in panto.

Spoke and shook hands with Rolf Harris who is great! Had dinner with Kate Humble (Springwatch). That's it for now. Oh yes and spotted Stacey (from Eastenders) in Ann Summers in Watford!!

Anymore.......

agent_44
04-10-2009, 04:16 PM
Oh just remembered, I used to see Chris Eubank a lot when I lived in Brighton. Though that's nothing special if he wasn't popping in to town in his lorry, he was stutting down the middle of the road in jodphurs and a founcy shirt, kind of made himself easy to spot!

Green Monster
04-10-2009, 08:29 PM

Whoa, hold on there cowboy, does he know you have actually made it for him?

If not then I have made jewellery for over 200 celbrities including the Queen, Kate Bush, ronnie Corbett, Peter Kay, the guy from "Extras" who played the agent and loads more.
I carry them in my van just in case they happen to be in my local boozer, note , my local boozer, I feel that s I made the item then the least they can do is come to me to collect it.............assuming I tell them of course.

Sheltie
04-10-2009, 09:17 PM
My claim to fame....well there are lots of them and Some I have worked with/for others I have met and others I was in regular correspondence with until they died.

Marcel Marceau
HM Queen
Prince Charles
Prince Andrew
Princess Anne
Prince Edward
Princess Diana
Duchess of Gloucster
President Gorberchov (?sp)
President Mitterand (?sp)
Margaret Thatcher
Duncan Williamson
Only world leader of the 80's that I did not meet/ work with was Ronald Reagan

Unfortunately I cannot say what was dicussed due to the official secrets act. So I am afraid no juicy stories but I do have some anecdotes which I may divulge late at night after one to many glasses.

Di Sandland
04-10-2009, 11:22 PM
I bet I'm not the only one who clicked on your profile, Sheltie, just to see what you do/did for a living.

Risk management? Protection Squad? Yup - bet its number two.

Atelier Ava
05-10-2009, 08:25 AM
Back in the late eighties when I was making costume jewellery, Linda Lusardi (I can hear mumblings of who the hell is that, she was a page three girl) bought a pair of my ear-rings in my shop. Later in The Sun she was featured, not on page three but in an article wearing them and saying they were her favourite pair [-X ........ of ear-rings.
Used to exhibit in London at the same time as Monty Don and met him a few times.
More recently a friend of Nigella Lawsons was wearing a pair of my ear-rings on one of the Christmas shows.
Not very exciting really, trouble is if you dont have a shop you dont know who is buying your stuff unless you see them in it.
Paula

Coco
05-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Used to exhibit in London at the same time as Monty Don and met him a few times.

Wooooooo! My mum would be soooooooooooooooooooooo jealous! She wuvs him! <3<3

Don't tell her ;)

snow_imp
05-10-2009, 02:00 PM
I once saw Nick Knowles (DIY SOS) at Milton Keynes theatre, we were both there seeing the same show, but I can't remember what that was.

Sheltie
05-10-2009, 06:10 PM
I bet I'm not the only one who clicked on your profile, Sheltie, just to see what you do/did for a living.

Risk management? Protection Squad? Yup - bet its number two.

Your both right and wrong... I was in the RAF but not as armed protection, Just my security clearence was extremely high, which ment when they wanted someone in the same room to look after the VIP's I was usually there.

All I can say is when the TV cameras are not around they are totally different as in the case of one M Thatcher

Di Sandland
05-10-2009, 06:17 PM
I bet you have some fascinating tales to tell, Sheltie...

Petal
05-10-2009, 06:21 PM
I once saw Reg Varney of On the Buses fame, in Leadenhall Street near to where I worked in London. I used to regularly horseride past Terry Wogan's place in Taplow and now cycle past Robert Plants place every week - yeah, he's a really nice guy too. Oh yes, and I have got quite a lot of photos of Di and Charles and a few other people at a polo event I went to with my wine bar buddies years ago - I think we were the noisiest people there and had a right laugh - plus the wine was free! Oh and I forgot I, along with 1,000's of thers went to their wedding at St. Pauls cathedral and got a lot of piccies.

That's about all I can remember....

geti-titanium
05-10-2009, 10:36 PM
now cycle past Robert Plants place every week

This could be interesting Petal. Do you think you could knock on his door and give him a guitar pick for me please?

I would like to see him auction it for charity if possible - I'm sure it would raise more money if he actually donated it. Whadya say, are you up for the challenge?

geti-titanium
05-10-2009, 10:50 PM

Update to celebrity spotting in The Tower Ballroom on Saturday.

Absolutely no celebrities or famous people to be seen anywhere not even Johnny - I did speak to a nurse who worked at the Queen Elizabeth hospital - she wasn't famous either and seemed to find it amusing that there used to be loads of palm trees in the room years ago.

The new owners have got rid of the old band, (apparently the singer was drunk all the time) and replaced them with another band that played 'Blues Brothers' type music - they weren't very good though. There was a problem with the lead singers mike, who just carried on singing seemingly oblivious to the fact that nobody could hear him and the bass was so low you could feel your clothes vibrating, everybody just stood around with big grins on their faces.

We had to wade through about 6 inches of fillings on the way out.

Spent the Sunday slumped in front of the telly dribbling, overdosing on clementines and drifting in and out of a coma - I'm too old for this sh*t! :'(

Petal
06-10-2009, 08:49 AM
This could be interesting Petal. Do you think you could knock on his door and give him a guitar pick for me please?

I would like to see him auction it for charity if possible - I'm sure it would raise more money if he actually donated it. Whadya say, are you up for the challenge?

knock on his door and give him his pick ? I don't know about that...Isn't he coming to collect it then??

geti-titanium
06-10-2009, 09:36 AM
knock on his door and give him his pick ? I don't know about that...Isn't he coming to collect it then??

No, he doesn't know anything about it - crazy isn't it? :)

Petal
06-10-2009, 09:54 AM
Is it a surprise then??? You're a right one for keeping us all waiting to find out what you're up to. So what's the story about the pick then??? tell all!

BTW, I couldn't get near his front door!

EmmaRose
06-10-2009, 03:26 PM
I wanna get some jewellery on some of these people LOL ;)
Had dinner next to Chris de Burgh in a tiny restaurant in Notting Hill, he asked me to pass the salt LOL (the tables were like 2 inches apart!)
Was on channel 5 news being interviewed (vox pop about Diana memorial), and accidently in the background of the Bill many moons ago......
Em
PS was Maggie a pussy cat really then? My Grandma met her....

kymbi
06-10-2009, 03:46 PM
I used to work at the House of Commons....for my sins!

Rustic Charm
06-10-2009, 04:10 PM
I've served Pam St.clements( pat on eastenders) in a clothes shop i worked in,i've served Ross Kemp (Grant Mitchell) fish and chips and i pinched his parking space and seen him outside the bank with knee high socks on and shorts!!( his parents live near me). Served Meg Matthews( was married to liam gallagher).

My husband has cooked for the Queen and not long ago he cooked for Eric Clapton,Jeremy Clarkson and some bloke from pink floyd.
and i clean Norman Lamb MP's office.

geti-titanium
06-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Introducing Robert Plant - immortalised in Titanium and diamond!

Petal
06-10-2009, 05:50 PM
Is it a surprise then??? You're a right one for keeping us all waiting to find out what you're up to. So what's the story about the pick then??? tell all!

BTW, I couldn't get near his front door!

Nice pick!

So, come on then, what's the story with the pick?

shelliem
30-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Jeremy Beadle once pretended to try to run me and the brass band I was in over when I was younger...

I sold a house to Tony Christie and his Son.

I was once minding my own business (complete with hangover) buying a birthday card in WH Smith when I realised I was stood next to Bob Geldof - BOB GELDOF IN SHREWSBURY!! I thought it was the hangover at first but then promptly got shy and left for some strange reason.

I served M People drinks yonks ago when they were just about to become famous - or were newly famous.

And I have seen the two boys (who look after the young kid) from Hollyoaks at the V Festival - they are very short.

Exciting small town life I lead ....

HannahJewelleryDesigns
30-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I have to add my little bit to this thread.
In 2006 (the year Jenson Button had his first win) my OH worked for Honda F1 and the Christmas party that year was immense! We all partook of the free champers and while dancing like a loon I nearly elbowed Jenson in the head! Luckily he ducked- must be the racers reflexes!!
I was mortified #-o

Lindyloo
30-10-2009, 09:09 PM
My list is very short. Once saw Dr Green (don't know his real name) from ER at Hampton Court. See a few tennis stars wandering the streets during Wimbledon fortnight each year. And once interviewed Lord Bath for a magazine article.