PDA

View Full Version : Gemstone in rivet

Sheen
08-10-2021, 09:46 AM
I have made a flower in 0.6mm brass and want to tube rivet it to my ring shank. It will go through the centre of the flower. How do I set a facetted stone in the top of the tube. Any resources you know of, what thickness should the tube be and how do I do this. Thanks Sheena.

Sheen
09-10-2021, 04:56 PM
I've been thinking maybe it would be more likely to work if I used a solid rivet, riveted in place, then drilled the setting and flush set

CJ57
09-10-2021, 07:20 PM
You’d have to solder it or by drilling the splay on the top you’d be taking away the riveting part if you get me and then would it not just fall out the bottom? You’d need a big solid rivet to still function as a rivet and also as a stone setting I would have thought

Sheen
09-10-2021, 07:26 PM
I think so as it’s only a rivet if both ends are splayed. It would just fall out if not soldered so basically it’s a soldered tube setting

Ah I see what you mean :)

CJ57
09-10-2021, 08:03 PM
I’d deleted that answer and replaced it with the one published. You’re too quick!

Sheen
10-10-2021, 06:29 AM
You’d have to solder it or by drilling the splay on the top you’d be taking away the riveting part if you get me and then would it not just fall out the bottom? You’d need a big solid rivet to still function as a rivet and also as a stone setting I would have thought

I'm definitly going to solder the bottom of the rivet to the shank. I'd need something quite thick to make sure I don't compromise the rivet I think. Still debating whether to use a chunky bit of tubing or a solid piece of wire.

Dennis
10-10-2021, 08:03 PM
If you rivet a metal flower onto a ring, it will be compromised, because the daily leverage will eventually cause it to come loose.
I see no reason not to add a tube setting and then solder it (upside down) onto the ring shank, in that order.

If you are nervous about melting your flower, extra easy assay quality silver solder will come to the rescue. It is cheap and very strong. Dennis.

Sheen
11-10-2021, 10:15 AM
Morning Dennis, I've taken your advice and gone for the soldering option. It's in the pickle pot as we speak.

Dennis
11-10-2021, 11:07 AM
Well done you. Dennis.

Sheen
11-10-2021, 12:28 PM
Finished. I love the vintage garnet. It's a great colour
Picture has posted sideways

Dennis
11-10-2021, 07:25 PM
Yes, lots of things to admire:
The red of the garnet goes really well with the darkened silver.
The outsized flower makes a strong statement, enhanced by the finish of the edges.
The tube setting is professional.
It's not so long since you were a beginner, but your eye for design was there all along. Dennis.

Sheen
14-10-2021, 07:08 AM
Thankyou Dennis, I think it's one of my really good makes. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. I really enjoy making things these days. I feel like I know what I'm doing, just need to improve a couple of technical points. I'm hoping to write a bit for the forum about design as a thankyou for all the help over the years.