PDA

View Full Version : Vice to hold solid silver orb pieces for drilling

Susie
29-09-2021, 10:03 PM
I've bought a mini bench drill (it's great) and I have a small vice for holding objects to drill.
However, I need to drill half way down into some solid silver orbs, and whatever method I use, they rotate or slip.

I've glued some pieces of wood onto the jaws, but even that doesn't work.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to how hold round orb pieces of metal in a vice? I guess I could use thermoloc, but I've got so many different sizes to drill, I'm going to have to have loads of moulds.

Thanks everyone

Susie

josef1
29-09-2021, 10:48 PM
cut some v shapes in the wood on the jaws to fit round the orbs then place a thin bit of wood between the orb and the bottom of the vice.

nicks creative stuff
30-09-2021, 07:49 AM
Hi Susie,
I use a clothes peg in my drill vice to hold small beads. The large round hole running through the peg fits and grips my small beads very well. I then use a “peck” drilling technique and oil to help prevent sticking. Like Joseph said V notches are very traditional for holding round items, some drill vices have these notchers machined into the jaws for this very purpose. I use leather to protect my silver from getting marred by the sharp edges when using these V notch’s…… Nick

Dennis
30-09-2021, 09:39 AM
Cooksons sell a pearl clamp for not very much money, which would probably do the job, and can be held in your drill vice.
https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Pearl-Clamp-prcode-999-153?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwNWKBhDAARIsAJ8HkhcpO6JnJ0Zxi7DJ yhO_qLjpeXSVwKss8hqE9f7qukHrTIhtecnfLtIaArX8EALw_w cB&gclsrc=aw.ds
Always make a starting pit with a ball burr, before using a drill.
Add a lubricant throughout, go for quite a low speed to prevent the drill from bluing, and lift the drill out repeatedly to clear swarf.
Dennis.

pearlescence
30-09-2021, 09:48 PM
Remember though, never use one of those pearl clamps to hold a pearl. Dreadful.

Susie
03-10-2021, 06:51 PM
Brilliant suggestions!!!
Loving the wooden peg idea AND the pearl clamp.

Think I'm going to buy a pearl clamp. problem solved!!!

Thank you so much

Love this forum