PDA

View Full Version : Family Bling.

Dennis
27-09-2021, 07:59 AM
There are several You Tube videos on the effects of twisting square wire, and I woke up one morning with the idea of presenting all my immediate family with a twisted wire ring in 9ct gold.

The pros are that it is hard wearing and comes in three colours so offering a good number of combinations. The cons are that the size of square wire I settled for 1.3, had to be drawn down from the next size up 2.0.

To cut down on waste, there were experiments in copper and a bit of maths involving Pi, before ordering. Then a holding of breath when drawing down the wire.
My picture shows three rings completed, and one still in bits. A fifth one was started later. That month I was one of Cooksons more valued customers, but cornflakes for tea.

Bases: 0.4 mm strip.
Wires: all 1.3 mm
Solder: any remnants of gold solder in my box with the appropriate melting point, regardless of colour. Dennis.

CJ57
27-09-2021, 11:18 AM
You have been busy Dennis, I thought you must be beavering away on something! How lucky to receive one of these but as you say you’ll be a bit rookie now.

china
27-09-2021, 12:56 PM
Some family members will be really happy with those.

mizgeorge
27-09-2021, 11:42 PM
Dennis, as has so often been the case over the years, I'd love to be part of your family :) And not just for the bling - though those are delicious!

Dennis
28-09-2021, 08:33 AM
Thank you all for looking. Well you are George, part of a very small group of friends. A virtual family in fact. Dennis.