PDA

View Full Version : The Complete Metalsmith by Tim McCreight

lesley
03-10-2009, 10:38 AM
After seeing this mentioned a few times I've been checking it out on Amazon and Borders.
There seem to be two editions available - 1991 and 2004 at £12ish and £24ish respectively.
So what's with the £52 version of the 2004 edition? Is this the full version and the others are concise versions?

Complete Metalsmith: Amazon.co.uk: Tim McCreight: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Metalsmith-Tim-McCreight/dp/1929565062/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254566055&sr=1-2)

Which edition have you got?

Di Sandland
03-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Beware of these expensive 'previously loved' books on Amazon - people charge what they think folk will pay. If they look and see that Amazon themselves don't have it, the sky is the limit. I once sold a quilting book for nearly £100 - my intention wasn't to dupe anybody. This was a self-published book from a now well-respected and renowned quilter that she had written before fame. I think I had one of only 10 copies.

I have found that if you go look on Abes or one of the other book-seller sites you can get the self-same edition for the correct price.

lesley
03-10-2009, 11:13 AM
I've now found a Feb. 2005 student edition on Ebay for £21!
How does a student edition differ?

Sorry, Di, but what is Abes? I googled but nothing sensible came up.

Di Sandland
03-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Sorry, would have posted link earlier, but bacon was just ready to go in french bread ;)

Abes Books (http://www.abebooks.co.uk/?cm_ven=ggl&cm_cat=UK%20corporates&cm_pla=UK%20corporates&cm_ite=a.b.e%20books) The Complete Metalsmith (http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1170030790&searchurl=an%3DTim%2BMcCreight%26bt.x%3D0%26bt.y%3 D0%26sortby%3D3%26sts%3Dt) - new. £6.26

kymbi
03-10-2009, 11:19 AM
I've got the blue cover one shown below - softbacked, spiral bound, cost me about £13, and has B&W illustrations but I don't know how this differs from the other more expensive ones - hardback? colour pics?

The Complete Metalsmith: Illustrated Handbook Jewelry Crafts: Amazon.co.uk: Tim McCreight: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Metalsmith-Illustrated-Handbook-Jewelry/dp/0871922401/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254568479&sr=1-6)

lesley
03-10-2009, 11:22 AM
I thought that was the 1991 edition. Is this the one that you have?

kymbi
03-10-2009, 11:27 AM
I thought that was the 1991 edition. Is this the one that you have?

Yes, I think it is the 1991 edition.

geti-titanium
03-10-2009, 11:29 AM
How does a student edition differ?

If you buy student edition software (Corel, Dreamweaver etc) it usually comes without the instructions on how to use it.

My simple mind would assume that if you buy student edition books you just get the front and back covers - I may be wrong :)

mizgeorge
03-10-2009, 11:36 AM
At the risk of being shouted at, I wouldn't recommend this Lesley.

If you're going to be self-teaching, then the Jinks McGrath or the Madeline Coles 2-in-1 would be far more useful. If you want to go onto Tim McCreight, his hot and cold connections is excellent.

The Complete metalsmith is a lovely bench reference, but at least 70% of it is way over my head, and the bits that aren't are probably excellent prompts if you've already learned how to do something, but bu&&er all use if you haven't, as they're not nearly comprehensive enough.

Just my opinion (not humble though ;))

Di Sandland
03-10-2009, 11:42 AM
I hve to second Jinks McGrath - I have her Jewellery Making: A Complete Course and her Encyclopeadia of Jewellery Techniques. They are true 'idiot's guides' but work for the more advanced student too.

I also have the Marilyn Coles book, which is excellent too, but if I had to choose it would be Jinks McGrath every time.

Carles Codina also writes a mean book - easy to follow but a tad more advanced than McGrath

lesley
03-10-2009, 11:47 AM
I'm looking into Jinks McGrath too. :)

George, is your Complete Metalsmith a pro or student version or is that just a US thing?

kymbi
03-10-2009, 11:57 AM
I've not got the Jinks McGrath, but the Madeline Coles 2-in-1 is very good and was the first jewellery book I purchased when I was learning. I agree with George about the Tim McCreight, it is a useful reference but I am glad I got it after I'd been on my course a while. I've also got his hot and cold connections book and use this far more than the other one.

lesley
03-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Sorry to go on, Kym, but which version of Tim Mcreight have you got?
There's so many and I'm not sure about the Pro versus Student edition.
I might be able to have a look at one in Borders.

mizgeorge
03-10-2009, 12:02 PM
I've got the cheap version! (1991 revised)

The only difference I know of is colour vs black and white illustrations and a plastic vs card cover, but I'm happy to be corrected.

kymbi
03-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Mine's the 1991 (revised) edition as well. I've just racked it out to have a look, but it doesn't mention whether it is the student or pro version. Blue/green card cover, spiral bound. I think it cost me about £13.

After having a quick look-see, I realise there are whole sections that I don't think I've ever used.

Lisa Quinn
03-10-2009, 12:22 PM
My experience is also that the Jinks McGrath and Madelaine Coles are both excellent and cover all aspects that a modest jeweller might need. I also have a couple of Charles Codina books which are both good, but don't cover the basics as comprehensively and in such a user friendly way tas the other two.

Sorry have no experience of Tim McCreight books so can't comment on how valuable an edition this would be .

Lisa x

lesley
03-10-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for all the input. I've now got wish lists all over the place!
I think I might have to get OH to buy me a couple of books for Christmas. ;)

kymbi
03-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Good idea Lesley - last year I posted a list on the fridge for OH and dear-son with some jewellery books and tools that I would love to have (along with websites). For this year, I've got Jinks' rings book...fingers crossed ;)

lesley
03-10-2009, 01:32 PM
My OH is a darling. Last year he got me a tumbler. Gosh, this year has gone so quickly!
Although I've felt a bit down recently, when I think about it I've done quite a lot this year and I've certainly come a long way.

Ee by gum, I've right cheered myself up. :D
By the way I do not have a Yorkshire accent. Sorry if anyone does but I really don't like it.......even though I live in N. Yorks.

The Dragon
03-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Ok I can't advise you on the versions but take a look at the following link. They have reductions on most of the popular jewellery books including the three mentioned so you may pick up a bit of a bargin, in fact if anyone takes a look and finds an interesting book please let us know as I'm sure we all want so many titles but they can be expensive. The only down side is delivery takes a little longer.

Here's the link

Free delivery worldwide on all books from The Book Depository (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk)

Hope this helps :Y:

mizgeorge
21-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've just remembered something I meant to say at the time!

Whilst I don't think the Complete Metalsmith is the best book for a novice, I would totally recommend Hot and Cold Connections (by the same author). This really is a definitive reference manual (and a more recent publication at that).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hot-Cold-Connections-Jewellers-McCreight/dp/0713687584/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256115728&sr=8-1

Boo
21-10-2009, 09:08 AM
I recently discovered that we again have the mobile library visiting the village - for the grand total of 20 minutes a fortnight. The librarian is lovely and helpful as he doesn't do much trade - I think he was happy for some new blood.

I gave him a huge list of books I'd like to borrow if he can find them for me, so he went off to see what he could rustle up for me - the hot and cold connections was in there after I saw someone else recommend it here. I'm looking forward to seeing what he might have found for me on Tuesday.

lesley
21-10-2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks, George, though you must be going a bit funny because you did mention it. :) It's on my wish list with a couple of others.

I'm impressed with your mobile library, Boo. I've never been in one but just presumed they were full of Mills and Boon and knitting patterns.

Boo
21-10-2009, 09:54 AM
It is predominantly novels with a small non-fiction section - but they do have a loose lending policy and can get books for you for order (60p) from any library in the country. It's significantly less than the bus fare to the main library. I like supporting these things so that we continue to get them.

MuranoSilver
21-10-2009, 12:01 PM
I have all three books :)
Jewellery Making - Jinks McGrath
Complete Metalsmith - Tim McCreight (professional edition 2004) and
Madeline Coles - Two in One manual

Tims has the largest quantity of useful info in it. It's mainly line diagrams and is probably best for intermediate jewellers. It's a bit like a dictionary but with guides to doing stuff too. The professional edition has got colour illustrations and is spiral bound so it lies flat on the workbench.

Jinks Book has got full colour photos and also has lots of useful info. For those thinking of trying casting it would be a great book to get as it shows how to use the system cooksons sell. It also shows melting the metal etc. In addition there are plenty of extra projects. Not as much detailed tech stuff as Tims Manual though (if you want it :))

Madelines is laid out so techniques are on the bottom and projects at the top.
It's great for people who are just starting out as the instructions are very, very easy to understand and clear.

Nic xx

lesley
21-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Thanks, Nic, that's really helpful. :)

Think I'll go for Jinks and Hot and Cold Connections and see what they're like before deciding if I need anything more advanced.
I am a novice but I've read up about techniques and I did do a bit of piercing last year. Suppose I should hunt out my saw (think it's in the tardis under the stairs), do some practising and take it from there.

Fiona
21-10-2009, 02:57 PM
If you're looking for jewellery books, dont forget
Free delivery worldwide on all books from The Book Depository (http://www.bookdepository.co.uk)
They have a great selection and free delivery :)

lesley
21-10-2009, 03:16 PM
I've just checked, Fiona, thanks - but in this case Amazon is a smidge cheaper and also has free delivery.
I've marked it for future reference though. :)